It's Monday...Let's Share Some Healthy Tips for the Week

Options
Hi all!!! Happy Monday. School started for some of our kids today, so summer fun is done :-( at least during the week.

Any way. Just thought it would be a nice idea to share ideas for staying healthy this week that could help someone struggling.

This week my husband, daughter and I all went food shopping together yesterday (Sunday). We planned every dinner meal together, lunches were planned too.

I changed my schedule to work from 6:00 to 2:30 so that's a big change. As a result, I planned a couple of pre-made Smart One's breakfasts to help me just grab and go and heat when I get in the office.

Another healthy tip I'm doing this week is: walking a couple of times after dinner around the neighborhood w/my daughter and adding some gym classes at 6:30 at night once dinner is settled.

So, long story short, the more you can plan the easier the week will be to stay healthy focused.

:wink:

Replies

• BoricuaMami5785
    Options
    This is a FANTASTIC idea! Great for a DC!!!! Let's see what everyone comes up with. :smile:
  • slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Planning is key!
    Saturday I was out all day from 6:30am to 11:30pm so Thursday I shopped for my foods. Friday I logged in all my foods/exercise for two days and packed my large lunchbox. Saturday came and I was ready! I stayed within my calorie goal and still lost weight because I planned ahead.

In the dentist's office today I read a Dr. Oz article. One thing that stood out was this:

Eat the same foods for breakfast every weekday. This makes it easy to plan, shop and prepare. Keeps one meal super simple and you can add variety to your day with Lunch, Dinner and Snacks.

He also had a fiber tip. Load you plate with 2/3 veggies for added fiber and nutrients. He said you cannot overeat vegetables. Also not all veggies have the same fiber content. Spinach has 2 grams per cup but artichoke hearts pack in 8 grams per cup. That was the example...I don't know of anyone who eats a cup of artichoke hearts personally.

Have a healthy day everyone!:tongue:
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    If you follow the Dr. Oz tip that BTL posted for fiber, be sure to drink lots of extra water to help process that roughage. (The family dog will thank you for not being blamed...)
  • cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great idea!!

My kiddos start school on Thursday, so it's been a run around, get everything ready, kind of weekend/week for us. My son will be playing football this year, so we are excited to be working with him to get the right foods and hydration in his system!

I love the ol' standby crockpot! It is so convenient for meals, especially when we will be eating on the run between work, school, football, soccer and the gym. Our plan is to use the slow cooker as much as possible to reduce the temptation to run through the drive thru. Looking at my diaries, it's obvious we haven't mastered that skill yet.

Another big thing that I committed to is tracking EVERYTHING. I have to admit, I haven't been particularly proud of my intake, even it is has been under my calorie goal, because of the running around. So, hopefully, with a little forethought, we will be making positive changes for the whole family!

CC
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    To stay healthy this week, make time for yourself to relax, exercise or just enjoy a cup of coffee! When you take care of yourself you have a healthy outlet for stress and therefor will do better in all the other areas!

I am heat sensitive and it's way to hot to be outside for me so I plan to go shopping exercise and retail therapy to take care of myself!
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with the planning, it's key to my success. I absolutely refuse to go to the store without a list!

On my best weeks I plan what we will have for breakfast/lunch/dinner every day of the week and then I buy my groceries accordingly. And, I always make sure to have appropriate snacks: Greek Yogurt, nuts, jerky that can be grabbed and taken to work as well.
  • Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Oh noes, everyone already said planning! This is definitely my best advice and puts my obsessive love of lists and organisation to good use. The only other thing I can really think of off the top of my head is making substitutes to existing meals. I know it's nothing new but you can be suprised how tasty and similar you can make meals! For example I used to have piri chicken with fries and onion rings (oops) but today I had the same chicken with corn on the cob and some home made, light coleslaw. Tasted just great :D
  • miaz143
    miaz143 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love this idea!

I'm so happy everyone agrees with the planning everything out ahead of time! It can be a pain to start, but once you get in the grove of things it really does help you become more successful.

I believe in letting yourself breathe a little helps your overall process. Because if you stress out and work yourself up you're more likely to fall off your diet. So, if you have a cookie, or something unplanned don't beat yourself up over it. Just keep moving forward. One foot in front of the other.

I also love setting up rewards to help me stick to my goals. Such as if I stick to my goals and every 10lbs I lose I pick a reward that I have set up ahead of time. 130lbs - Ultimate goal going to run by the ex-fiances house(live one street over) so he can see "who's unhealthy now" in a sports bra and spandex shorts and go to italy to visit my family. 210lbs- mani pedi 200lbs - I'm going dancing 180-trying on a pencil skirt 170lb dying my hair red. Just little mini things that I want to do for myself. So if I don't reach my goals I know I have to kick my bum a little harder the next week.

When I started writing this I had a few tips in mind, but they seem to have disappeared... hmmm I'll add more if they come back!!

Good luck everyone!
  • BoricuaMami5785
    Options
    Although, I DEF would've said planning... I also want to take a step back and remember that sometimes things don't go according to plan. :wink: I mean we don't live in a controlled environment so a helpful tip I'd like to put out there for all is... Log your calories for your meal BEFORE you sit down to eat it. It helps put that meal into perspective AND gives you enough time to correct it, or not consume it, if need be. It only takes a minute to log, and it'll help avoid the "sticker shock" (or should I say "calorie shock"?) later. :wink:
  • BACKTOCHRISSY
    BACKTOCHRISSY Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Although, I DEF would've said planning... I also want to take a step back and remember that sometimes things don't go according to plan. :wink: I mean we don't live in a controlled environment so a helpful tip I'd like to put out there for all is... Log your calories for your meal BEFORE you sit down to eat it. It helps put that meal into perspective AND gives you enough time to correct it, or not consume it, if need be. It only takes a minute to log, and it'll help avoid the "sticker shock" (or should I say "calorie shock"?) later. :wink:

oooo that's a good one! sometimes if I'm having a good day and feel myself wanting to just "throw in the towel" i'll log my meal as i want to eat it, then see all the sodium, fat, calories etc add up at the bottom of my food diary. At that point, i'll go back and put the meal in as I should it eat (the right portion) and see all my red turn to green and I feel better :smile:
  • Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Great tips from everyone! I'll definitely be considering what everyone has said. Thanks for the support and advice chums.