Week Long Challenge: 8/26/13 - 9/1/13

Options
Hello all!!! Welcome to our NEW weeklong challenge. I have been looking at diaries and there is a serious lack in the water department.

"In February 2004, the Institute of Medicine issued new recommendations. The IOM report did not specify requirements for water but made general fluid intake recommendations based on survey data of 91 ounces (that's 11-plus cups a day) for women and 125 ounces (15-plus cups a day) for men. Remember, these guidelines are for total fluid intake, including fluid from all food and beverages. Approximately 80% of our water intake comes from drinking water and other beverages, and the other 20% comes from food. Assuming these percentages are accurate for most of us, the recommended amount of beverages, including water, would be approximately 9 cups for women and 12.5 cups for men" (webmd.com).

So, the challenge this week will be to consume our recommended about of water... Women 9 cups, Men 12.5 cups.

I KNOW this is a hard challenge for people, even harder than the assumed 8 cups; but I think that together we can motivate, challenge, and inspire each other into creating healthier habits. Our bodies desperately need the hydration, and today we are so "out-of-tune" with our bodies that we confuse hunger with dehydration; when what our bodies need is WATER.

Come back everyday and tell us how you did that day on your water intake. :smile: I'm looking forward to the challenge this week with all of you!

Good luck, and happy drinking!

Replies

• cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well - I am totally the exception to the rule...I drink TONS of water! I find that once I am consistently drinking water, I start to crave it - imagine that! It's also a great way to feel fuller longer, curb the appetite before dinner, etc. Also, I like to brush my teeth and follow up with a big jug of water, keeps me from eating for a while!

Looking forward to cheering everyone on!

CC
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    I don't drink water at all so this truly will be a challenge!
  • cc11395
    Options
    You can do it Holly!!
  • BACKTOCHRISSY
    BACKTOCHRISSY Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Here's a water tip (that works for me at least) I fill ONE 32 ounce bottle and TWO 20 ounce bottles the night before. I take all of them to work with me and drink them all before the days end.

Then once I go home I fill one of the water bottles up again and drink that...

This might help those that are in need to drink more.

I don't typically drink anything else though ...
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Alana, while drinking water over soda or other drinks that have caloric content is vital, I'm going to argue with the amounts you have listed. If you read the entire article you are referencing on WebMD, (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/wonders-of-water) there are at least two locations that say basically the same thing. The most entertaining is this one:

"If you follow your thirst, you won't go wrong, Perlow says. He notes that pre-modern man never ran around sipping on a water bottle. A dry mouth indicated it was time to run to the stream for a drink."

While entertaining, I will add that pre-modern man also didn't have the sodium levels we see in the processed foods we have today. So by all means drink. I'll shoot for the 64 oz per day, may make your 12.5 cups on a day that I'm really exercising, but most it just won't happen.

As in all things, fellow readers, YMMV so do what is right for you!
  • BoricuaMami5785
    Options
    Alana, while drinking water over soda or other drinks that have caloric content is vital, I'm going to argue with the amounts you have listed. If you read the entire article you are referencing on WebMD, (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/wonders-of-water) there are at least two locations that say basically the same thing. The most entertaining is this one:

As you'll notice, at the beginning of my post the quote states beverages (so all things liquid count towards your "water" intake). I just didn't feel the need to put water/beverages/liquids and keep it simple to just water... If everyone read the small quotation they'd understand that it applies to all beverages. Although, since we are trying to instill healthier habits into our lifestyles anything that is low in sugar and sodium would probably be best. Not only because its better for our bodies, but because it's lower in calories as well. All those "extra" numbers in macros that we are "saving" can be used for foods to keep our bodies nourished instead of liquid calories that aren't filling. :wink:

Oh, and you are right... Cavemen did not go around with water bottles... But they were DEF more in tune with their body signals... A thing that some of us may have slightly lost (although not completely)... Here is an article, which also recommends the amount I listed previously, and also lists some possibly important questions that may helps us in asking ourselves so that we may be able to better determine if we are hungry or thirsty: http://dcp.psc.gov/ccbulletin/articles/FitforDuty_050607.htm . Here's another article, that although is on the PKD website (which is geared toward individuals with Kidney Disease): http://pkdhealthnotes.org/q-and-a/hungry-or-thirsty/ . The dietician that wrote the article lists the symptoms of hunger and the symptoms of thirst, which also may be helpful for some of us to determine the difference.

I hope you find these helpful. And although none of us are experts on health advice, just regular people posting as we go along, and possibly sharing information that we come across and think might be helpful to everyone else. It ALWAYS is important for us to do the research ourselves, for our own benefit. Also, it never hurt anyone to have a few glasses more of water (or beverage) a day, unless of course they are high in calories. :wink:
  • Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Great challenge for me, I do struggle! I will try and make this every day (daunting since I found the one day challenge hard enough!). Also thanks for all the sources of info, though as soon as I saw PKD I did automatically think of Philip K. **** (m23 might too haha).

Good luck everyone!
  • lauralouwho84
    Options
    I just quit drinking coffee and soda. my dentist doesn't want me drinking that much juice, so I am pretty much down to drinking water. I keep a bottle with me all day and fill it up when it needs to be. So this is a good challenge to make sure that I don't stray from the water which is SO easy to do!
  • Gnawcraft
    Options
    Ah this challenge seems to have come at a really great time for you Laura! You seem to be doing really well so far so this should just make it even better! As a Brit I am jealous of your lovely American teeth hehehe :P
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I really like this challenge! I dont really drink much besides water, or a glass of wine once in a while,lol! But I still dont usually drink enough water... So its nice to have a water challenge :)
  • miaz143
    miaz143 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel like you're speaking to me!!! I've totally been slacking on the water intake!!! I just realized I haven't had any water today... So I'm making myself have at least 8 cups before bed... That's 4 water bottles. I love this challenge!!! Maybe it will give me the kick in the bum I needed!
    Good luck everyone!
  • bird5027
    bird5027 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea! It will definitely be a challenge but I know we can all do it! Good luck everyone!
  • BoricuaMami5785
    Options
    Got my 9 cups in... Only bc I noticed it was almost midnight and I was missing 2 cups to make my goal... I chugged those 2 cups like I was an undergrad again chugging beer at a college party for a challenge. :wink: OMG!!! My body feels like there is an aquarium in my stomach, but other than that... I'm happy I made the challenge. :happy:. I might be up peeing all night though :noway: :ohwell:.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Dehydration is a real problem! I very seldom drink my calories because I am diabetic and prefer to eat (how I became diabetic I'm sure lol) but I do know I need to switch my soda to water balance as it is currently all soda and tea and no water!

Yesterday I did drink 10 cups of fluids however only 3 of them water and the rest tea or diet soda! Today to meet this challenge I am going to make 4 cups of water! I know all fluids count but I consume way to much sodium and Knocking out the diet soda will help!
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    As the group's resident water fascist, how I could I not embrace this challenge? :bigsmile:
  • cc11395
    Options
    Great job Alana!!

Holly - don't beat yourself up. I love your goal of 4 cups of water today, baby steps are a great way to accomplish your goals!

Since I am a water girl (no relation to Adam Sandler), and I did a monster workout at the gym last night, I was at 16 cups for the day!

For the struggling folks out there that want to increase water intake, consider drinking a cup of water before and after every meal...doing so will give you 6 cups without even trying (and may curb the desire to have a second helping)!!

You can do it!

CC
  • Gnawcraft
    Options
    Well I started this challenge today (I'll have an extra day at the end). I'm on 6 glasses at 10:20pm over here but off to the gym in a bit which should sort me out for the rest! Glad to see so many getting involved with this one - I totally appreciate that this is hard to make a habit, but it's one we all need so let's try our best :D
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Got all my water in yesterday and looking like I'll get it all in again today! Lots of extra trips to the restroom, lol! But I feel hydrated :)
  • slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am in! I am like Dward(Dan). I go for 64 oz per day of water. I also drink 32 oz of herb tea and 12 oz of green tea per day. No sugar. This will be a piece o' cake!:heart:
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    I am at 9 cups of fluid and have the 10th in my cup now!! (4 water, 2 tea, 3 diet soda and 1 milkshake!)
    So I have to say about the milkshake I picked it up cause my gf wanted to go! I got a medium which is 21 oz and then I got back to work and I started to plug it into MFP (some bodies advice about logging first eat later) and I seen the calorie count and I dumped it down the drain! I don't like to drink a meal lol!