Illnesses and weight loss

Options
Gnawcraft
Gnawcraft Posts: 744 Member
Hullo guys. Now I've been eating healthily for three weeks and going to the gym for one but I am finding that I am suffering so much more than I thought I would from the gym due to my psoriatic arthritis. My joints have gone from hurting a medium amount a few times a week to constant, more intense pain that wakes me up in the night and prevents me from concentrating. I was wondering whether anyone had gone through something like this and had any advice? I do intend on visiting my GP (I never went initially when I decided to loose weight and go to the gym which it looks like I should have), was just wondering if anyone had any other insight having had something similar. Thanks pals!

Replies

• miaz143
    miaz143 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a vasculitis which affects my joints as well. I've been narrowing down some of my flare ups to food related, so I've been taking some foods out of my diet ( even healthy ones) Because for me anyways inflammation and water retention have a lot to do with my pain. I also found that the elliptical is less impact on my joints then the treadmill, stairmaster, bike did.

Also, taking advil before going to the gym helped sometimes with the inflammation and joint pain... I also like to rub bengay or icy hot and just wear socks that helps with relaxing your joints a little.

I'll add more if I think of anything!

Hope this was helpful!
  • BoricuaMami5785
    Options
    You might want to google "low impact exercises" that you can do at the gym to help avoid some of that pain. I don't know any at the top of my mind, but it might help... DEF check out what your Dr. recommends though, he/she is the professional :wink: and probably knows what's best for you and how to ease the symptoms of your condition. Good luck!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    I don't have any advice except that I was told sometimes it hurts more to get more! We are expecting our bodies to do new things and there will be new pains! However you must have your doctor on bored and she may be able to offer some advice also it may be beneficial to see a physiotherapist as they can help with some low impact strength training
  • Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm seeing my doctor on Monday afternoon so hopefully he will have some good advice. I do always wonder how to convey all the things I want to explain the 10 minute allocation doctors have! I love to beat around the bush (as it were) because I'm VERY shy and intimidated by authority figures (silly I know). I'll have to make a list of what to say beforehand hehe (ah, so obsesses with lists, especially these days!).

Thanks so much for everyone's advice though. If anyone's interested in how I get on at the doctor's feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in. Best support <3
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Pain is never a good thing. And the bottom line here, as will every other thing we do, is see your doctor.

You need partners and support along this journey sure, but a little supervision from a properly trained grown-up can mean the difference between a resolve destroying injury and long term success.

Keep your doctor in the loop! And if an activity starts to hurt, STOP IMMEDIATELY and get things checked.

No pain, no gain is 80s vintage BS propaganda. This is the 21st century people. Gentle and sustainable will get there too--and without doing yourself a mischief.

Please add, "Play safe!" to your standing orders for this day and everyday. (Right under "Drink your dang water!")
  • BoricuaMami5785
    Options

Please add, "Play safe!" to your standing orders for this day and everyday. (Right under "Drink your dang water!")

I think you'll be please with my week long challenge Mark. :wink: