Hi Guys! I missed you..... :)

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
I've been stalking you guys for a few days, pondering whether I'm just pmsing, moody or just in need of some attention.

I've backed out of this forum because I was no longer single. Well I'm kind of still not single but I'm just feeling some yucky vibes, and I don't know what to do with them.

I've been with this guy on and off for over 4 years. since we got back together this past winter, I've been scared to actually put both of my feet back in the relationship.
I concentrated WAYYY to hard on what he wanted, and what he liked, and I forgot what I liked. Well... a few weeks ago, I got my wake up call. He said some things, and I found out that his neighbor was being a little too neighborly (nothing past good morning/good night texts and inviting him to her pool!!) but it bothered me, and he said that he was digging her attention.

Long story short. So am I. (NOT her attention, but his) Since that happened, I reminded myself that there are two people in the relationship and I'm going to LOVE someone the way I like to love them. Which happens to be kind of full force? (I know you guys can't possibly understand what that means, I'm not giving a lot of detail)

So I'm not sure what I'm ranting about... I'm sticking it out through the good the bad and the ugly...not because I have to, but because I know this guy has a really good heart, I've seen it first hand, he's had it with me. But I'm tired, I'm tired of feelin like I'm the only one putting effort into "us".

I talk about this stuff briefly with him becuase I know some guys have the attention span of a gnats *kitten*, but I'm tired of nothing coming back.

Oy, it shouldn't be this tiring. I'm not sure what I want right now except to have his attention. I'm just not sure how I go about getting it.

And yes, I've tried every sexual thing you can think of, yes, that one, :devil: and that one :sick: .... I've tried being genuine...

Any thoughts?
I know some of it has to do with his depression/addiction, but I can only tell him about so many opportunities before I'm wasting my breath, if he doesn't want to, he's not going to get help.

Anyway this is longer than I wanted, Thanks for listening Peeps!!!

Replies

• OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see you!!! At the same time, I'm so sorry things don't seem to be amazing. It sounds like from the beginning you weren't too sure about this. What is it about this guy that makes you want to keep coming back to him?
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you!

A lot of people have good hearts, doesn't mean they are the right guy for you.
    Sounds like you have exhausted these attempts over the last 4 years and maybe nothing will ever change?!?! maybe it's time to realize that you just won't get from him what you need?

I know I sound harsh, but you sound frustrated and over it.... seems like you are hanging around hoping the old guy who showed his heart once may reappear... how long are you willing to feel this way/hold on until you see it?

Just seems like a time waster given the history - and the addictions!!!

Sorry I seem harsh again, not my intent... but from the outside looking in, I think you can do better/be happier!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! ::hugs::
    Sounds like this guy is really putting you through hell. Is he really worth it?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hey FarmersD - nice to see you :flowerforyou:

I dont expect having a relationship with a depressed addict is ever going to be easy?? But it's all too easy to say give him up when you're having struggles. The point is that, there are always struggles in any relationship. Now, you just have to decide if he's worth it, or not?

Has he tried therapy to get over HIS issues? Cos that's what I think is the problem here. You're trying to accommodate someone that isn't stable.......
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Frustrating, I can see my topics I started only from my computer... So I didn't mean to leave you guys hanging.... I was wondering if anyone had input.

What is it about this guy that makes you want to keep coming back to him? Well truly he came back to me, and why did I let him in, because we know eachother so well (or so I think) and he brings out something in me that gives me goosebumps. I can picture us in the future. In the past we have had amazing communication, and related to alot of things (OMG as I type this I sit here and want to cry, I'm typing this all as it's in the past) Why can't he see what we have. He's so stuck with what we don't have and what others have. He can't see the giddy childish love we both had for eachother.

Kimad - No not at all you don't sound harsh, I've thought those thoughts, they've eaten me up at times.

Nnhouston - I want to say YES! he is, the way I put it is if I was going through a tough time, woudl I want them to give up on me when I'm being an *kitten*.... I know that sometimes you have to sit in your own *kitten* to realize what's going on and how it feels to do that, but oh.....

Anna :) My lovey!!! - This exactly, I knew up front this wouldn't be easy, but back when we started he was a little more encouraging and he tried a little more I think. When he came back we talked about it, but now that conversation seems to have gotten filed away.

Over the weekend we had a conversation about what he wanted and becuase of his addictions he has to follow some rules, and those rules say that we can't move in together until 2018. We've been together for 4 years already, I say 2018 isn't that big of a deal to wait to, but he has other opinions.
    I guess it goes back to that whole "are they worth it" I've already made my mind up that yes, I can wait. At one point in time he was the one telling me yes he could wait.

Oy, like I said Anna, I knew this wouldn't be easy, but I thought I had him on my team and would have for the rest of the journey. I just feel kind of lonely since it sounds like he jumped ship. We still spend our weekends together but it's getting harder knowing what' he's said. It's like i'm being used?

Thank you all for your responses.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend we had a conversation about what he wanted and becuase of his addictions he has to follow some rules, and those rules say that we can't move in together until 2018. We've been together for 4 years already, I say 2018 isn't that big of a deal to wait to, but he has other opinions.
    4 years is a long time. I cannot picture myself in 4 years, and I certainly couldn't have pictured myself now 4 years ago.

If the guy is trying to sort out some issues, then it involves "change". If the guy changes, then I hope you realise there is danger associated with that, i.e. you might well get the short end of the stick (as in, he changed so much that he doesn't think we are a good match anymore).

Try to integrate the meaning of the paragraph below:
    - The person he is now is a person with issues,
    - The person he is now appreciates your company and sees a future with you maybe,
    - The issues are part of the person he is now, and influence greatly the way he thinks, feels, reacts, etc.
    Now, will this person without these issues think, feel and react the same way? Will he be the same person to which you are attracted to? Will he still be attracted to you? Maybe in 4 years it's going to be 8 years, or maybe it's going to be never, or maybe it's going to happen in the meantime.

In all honesty, there is a reason why people tell others to "sort their *kitten* out" before they try themselves at the relationship game. It changes the rules of the game so much that you CANNOT make any assumptions about what is going to be happening when the issues are sorted out or being sorted out. Sorting out long running issues like these (I assume) involves deep "change", and deep changes run deep in your life and personality and brain.

Maybe you're just a crutch for him (and he might not even know it yet so he might not be using you, maybe he is starting to realise it), maybe not.
    It is foolish however to think that, in 4 years nothing will change, nothing will have changed and to plan - especially if the relationship is having such a difficult start.

To me (as a person with an external point of view who doesn't have all the details), you seem like the "friend" who will help him get out of the hole, then will get ditched on the side once he is all rejuvenated.
    Your behaviour bears a high risk of getting you old and single.

You are welcome to prove me wrong in 4 years and tell me that, in fact, you didn't waste what will be excruciatingly painful, long, slow, dull and youthful 4 years in vain. But what if you are actually wasting them... You get only one shot at life, don't make a 4 years mistake.
    This is way too risky. That's my take, but that's how bad I would feel about this.
    So I'm not sure what I'm ranting about... I'm sticking it out through the good the bad and the ugly...not because I have to, but because I know this guy has a really good heart, I've seen it first hand, he's had it with me.
    No mother has ever raised their child to be an @sshole, yet they exist - so I would imagine everyone (pretty much) has a "good heart".
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

You are welcome to prove me wrong in 4 years and tell me that, in fact, you didn't waste what will be excruciatingly painful, long, slow, dull and youthful 4 years in vain. But what if you are actually wasting them... You get only one shot at life, don't make a 4 years mistake.
    This is way too risky. That's my take, but that's how bad I would feel about this.

I agree with his entire post 100%

This one though, says it all IMO. If he needs 4 years, give it to him but move on with your life -- if you two were meant to be you will find your way back to eachother ... if not, you didn't waste 4 years of your life. Maybe, just maybe, when he gets the help he needs he will be able to have a healthy, fulfilling relationship with you...not an on/off one :)

I was with an alcoholic for 9 years. It was a miserable 9 years of the same nasty cycle. I told myself time in and time out, that I chose this and I had to live with it. It sucked :( One day I realized that he wasn't going to change by be telling him too, and after 9 years change was probably never coming. I didn't need to put up with this anymore - at 31 years old I had a hell of a lot of life to live and I could still do good for myself, my kids, and find HEALTHY happiness. I left, and I have never looked back. Even me, I am not the same person as I was before. It's really the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Good luck!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Find someone new.

Guys don't have the attention span of gnats when we're actually into you.