A day to be PROUD of. (DOMA)

Options
2»

Replies

• MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Shut up you're kidding. The GF and i just watched their documentary Edie & Thea and we basically cried for an hour after. They were such an amazing beautiful couple. Ugh they are amazing. I would LOVE to meet Edie. I'm sure she's so proud and she paved the way for many of us and im so lucky she did what she did.

Also she's going to make bank and make that 363,000 + interest. So I hope she's just going to keep dancing.
    I HAVE SO MANY FEELS. NYC PRIDE IS GOING TO BE AMAZING.

LOVE IS LOVE AND I LOVE LOVE!

Know one reason why NYC Pride will be even more spectacular? Guess who one of the grand marshalls will be?

EDIE WINDSOR!!!!!!!

It will be incredible.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    On top of that, guess who is headlining the Dance on the Pier?

Miss Diva herself.

Cher.

What a weekend. I wonder if Vegas would give me odds if NYC will survive the weekend intact?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    538-chart1-blog480.png

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/same-sex-marriage-availability-set-to-double-in-one-year-span/?_r=0

Nate Silver points out that from August last year to August this year, the number of Americans living in states with marriage equality will have more than doubled. August last year, only Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont and the District of Columbia had DOMA-limited skim milk marriage. In August this year, all those plus California, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Washington will have full equality.

And around the world as well, the number with marriage equality will have doubled in a year, thanks mostly to Brazil, France, and California, with an assist from Uruguay and New Zealand.

538-chart3-blog480.png
  • treetop57
    Options
    528-chart2-blog480.png
  • treetop57
    Options
    Time to update my map, a little bit anyway. As of this week, marriage equality has come to the three counties where half of New Mexicans live.

marriagesmall_zps3cfc9a51.png
    New Mexico county legalizes same-sex marriage
    AP 6:09 p.m. EDT August 26, 2013
    Gay Marriage New Mexico

(Photo: Eddie Moore, AP)

SHARE 1158 CONNECT 72 TWEET 50 COMMENTEMAILMORE

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico judge on Monday declared same-sex marriage legal, ordering the clerk of the state's most populous county to join two other counties in issuing licenses for gay and lesbian couples.

State District Judge Alan Malott ruled New Mexico's constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

The Bernalillo County clerk's office in Albuquerque planned to start issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples at 8 a.m. Tuesday.

The decision came after a judge in Santa Fe directed the county clerk there to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples on Friday. But Malott's ruling was seen as more sweeping because he directly declared that gay marriage was legal.

Laura Schauer Ives, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico, called it "monumental" and said the group didn't expect such a broad decision by Malott. The judge had been asked only to order that the state recognize, on her death certificate, a dying woman's marriage Friday in Santa Fe to her longtime partner.

But after a short hearing in which neither the counties nor the state objected to the request, Malott also ruled on the broader lawsuit by that couple and five others seeking marriage licenses.

"We were stunned and amazed," Ives said.

However, it's uncertain whether clerks in the state's 30 other counties, who were not defendants in the lawsuit, will use the judge's ruling as a signal that they can issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Assistant Attorney General Scott Fuqua said the decision wasn't binding on clerks outside Bernalillo and Santa Fe counties. . . .

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/26/new-mexico-gay-marriage/2703625/