Can it be done??

Options
I over pronate and currently wear Nike Zoom Structure stability shoes. Has anyone successfully transitioned to a more minimal shoe. I am not looking to go completely flat but something in between that will also give me a lighter shoe to run in. Any suggestions would be great...

Replies

• Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Bump! I am transitioning to newtons Issac but have only ran a few times in them, some don't consider them minimal but its my first step. Would love to hear responses!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Anyone ?????
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm an overpronator who used to run in structured shoes (various Nikes, Brooks, Asics, etc.). Whenever I'd train for longer runs, I'd end up with ITB issues. I have since changed to minimalist shoes and have had no more issues, so I'm a fan. I trained for and ran my marathon in Nike Free 5.0's; I'm now training for marathon #2 in Nike Free 3.0s (slightly smaller heel-to-toe drop, but still not barefoot). Haven't really tried any other minimalist shoes, though I have a pair of Vibram's (barefoot) in which I'll do short runs on occasion. May try Newton's at some point, but for now, I'm sticking with what works for me.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • LisaO85
    Options
    I have been battling ITB issues off and on for the last 2 years. Nike redesigned the shoe I have been wearing and my ITB issues came back.

Did you make the transition slowly or just put them on and start running.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Overponation due to collapsed arches thanks to jumping events in high school track! Stopped running until I turned 30 thanks to knee pain in stability shoes. Started wearing Vibram Five Fingers and have never looked back! (Furthest run to date is 17 miles in them).
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It definitely can be done. I started running in a Kayano 17 with an orthotic and now I run in the Altra One, Merrell Bare Access, etc... I transitioned slowly, increasing the proportion of the miles that I was putting on the lowered hell drop shoes along with using my more traditional trainer.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Newton's are excellent "low drop" shoes. Remember to "ease" into using any minimalist shoe.
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also had ITB problems when running in stability shoes. Switched to VFFs for a couple years and now run unshod. Best thing I ever did for my knees, legs, and feet. If you do the transition, as everyone is saying, go slowly. It will take some time to build up the calves and feet.
  • bert16
    Options
    I have been battling ITB issues off and on for the last 2 years. Nike redesigned the shoe I have been wearing and my ITB issues came back.

Did you make the transition slowly or just put them on and start running.

Since I didn't know any better at the time (this was several years ago), I actually just put them on and started running, which ended up being OK for me, though I think that was luck working in my favour. From what I've since read, it's certainly advised to ease yourself into minimalist shoes mileage-wise if you're used to running in a standard shoe. I actually pushed myself from my minimalist shoes to my Vibrams (again, those are barefoot, rather then the minimalist shoes I'm used to running in) too quickly, even though I thought I was easing myself in slowly enough, and ended up sidelined with Achilles tendonitis (which I have never had previously). At this point, I wear the minimalist shoes for all my major runs and basically toy around with the Vibrams, since I'm a bit afraid of reaggravating my Achilles!
  • LisaO85
    Options
    I am not training for anything right now, so I have plenty of time to make the transition.

Anyone have suggestions on a shoe, I don't think I want to go completely minimalist. I have a skinny foot so my heal sliding out of my shoes is a common problem, that's why I was wearing Nike they have a slim shoe with a wide toe box.
  • bert16
    Options
    Well, I certainly like the Nike Free's, both 5.0 and 3.0; the 5.0 has a higher heel to toe drop than the 3.0's; they're both minimalist, not barefoot. I find the soft, almost neoprene-like upper really comfortable (and I also have a pretty skinny, long foot). Haven't really tried any others, so am not a wealth of knowledge on this one!