Garage Box

Options
Thoughts...

Wondering if anyone goes to one. How they are percieved. Do you think they would be less appealing than a store front type box.

My coach hasn't been able to get enough people signed up to sustain the monthly expenses. I told him we could use my garage for now, but I am wondering if we will end up losing people if he allows himself to lose the "space". He needs to at least be able to pay his affiliate fee and equipment loan.... location will be the first thing to slide.

Just interested in CFers thoughts.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thoughts...

Wondering if anyone goes to one. How they are percieved. Do you think they would be less appealing than a store front type box.

My coach hasn't been able to get enough people signed up to sustain the monthly expenses. I told him we could use my garage for now, but I am wondering if we will end up losing people if he allows himself to lose the "space". He needs to at least be able to pay his affiliate fee and equipment loan.... location will be the first thing to slide.

I guess I would ask what kind of business plan he has for this? As we all know all you really need is an open space. In terms of rental those are not expensive at all. I'd just be curious to see if he mapped all this out beforehand (like, I need x clients to cover overhead and after that I'm into profit) or if he just opened it and started signing people up hoping he could pay the rent.

My guess is that if he can't hold on to the space he's going to lose 90% of his clients, especially if there are other boxes nearby that could easily take on new clients.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Garage box 100%

This is what I think about crossfitters and really the whole concept of crossfit: It doesn't matter where you WOD. I think most people don't care. The quality of coaching is the most important thing. If he's a great coach people will follow him anywhere. That's how I feel about my coaches.

Many very successful affiliates were started in a garage or a backyard. That's the beauty of it. It's fitness anywhere.

I workout in the dirtiest, grimiest box ever. I love it.

Also work out in the garage of my strength coach, and it's awesome. If you watch youtube videos of Coach Burgener, it's all in his garage.

The main problem of working out in a home garage is space and how many athletes can fit at one time. Really, the max should be about three people.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think too that the members would be at least willing to do their WODs in a garage, after all community is one of the most prominent aspects of crossfit. However, I would caution you about the liability and possible affect having a box in your garage could affect your personal time and space. Will you be expected to make your garage available all day starting early in the morning? What if someone needs to use the restroom - will they have access to your home?

If you move forward, you will need to set boundaries and expectations, set a time limit for how long you are willing to run a box out of your garage, etc.
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    I think too that the members would be at least willing to do their WODs in a garage, after all community is one of the most prominent aspects of crossfit. However, I would caution you about the liability and possible affect having a box in your garage could affect your personal time and space. Will you be expected to make your garage available all day starting early in the morning? What if someone needs to use the restroom - will they have access to your home?

If you move forward, you will need to set boundaries and expectations, set a time limit for how long you are willing to run a box out of your garage, etc.

Yep. I thought about liability and boundaries... Not so worried about the hours, it is a detached garage... But what about the bathroom?... Not sure about how all of that would work. I thought about putting a time frame on it too.... Like you have until May 1sy b/c then we are gonna be dealing with heat/lack of ac issues.
  • georgie304
    Options
    Garage box 100%

This is what I think about crossfitters and really the whole concept of crossfit: It doesn't matter where you WOD. I think most people don't care. The quality of coaching is the most important thing. If he's a great coach people will follow him anywhere. That's how I feel about my coaches.

Many very successful affiliates were started in a garage or a backyard. That's the beauty of it. It's fitness anywhere.

I workout in the dirtiest, grimiest box ever. I love it.

Also work out in the garage of my strength coach, and it's awesome. If you watch youtube videos of Coach Burgener, it's all in his garage.

The main problem of working out in a home garage is space and how many athletes can fit at one time. Really, the max should be about three people.

Yes... how many people at 1 time is gonna pose a problem. Yes, right now it is probably ok with how small our community is...but then how does he save up money quickly enough to get back into a space.

Yeah, I think most are ok with the "garage" thing considering this IS Crossfit... I think the 1st thing is the temperature.
  • georgie304
    Options
    Thoughts...

I guess I would ask what kind of business plan he has for this? As we all know all you really need is an open space. In terms of rental those are not expensive at all. I'd just be curious to see if he mapped all this out beforehand (like, I need x clients to cover overhead and after that I'm into profit) or if he just opened it and started signing people up hoping he could pay the rent.

My guess is that if he can't hold on to the space he's going to lose 90% of his clients, especially if there are other boxes nearby that could easily take on new clients.

I think he is gonna lose all the people that are right there in the business comlpex that go at lunch time....

We'll see..
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thoughts...

I think he is gonna lose all the people that are right there in the business comlpex that go at lunch time....

We'll see..

I didn't think of the liability issue for you personally with this. That is DEFINITELY something you want answered for certain before agreeing to this. Can he carry insurance on your property or do you need to do it? Who is going to pay the premium and how? If the premium is not paid what happens?

I know you want to help but it sounds to me like it might be more trouble and hassle than it's worth.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ours is a garage box. Since January it's been the 2 coaches (a married couple), my husband and I, another couple, and occasionally another friend of the coaches. In the last few weeks 3 more people have joined us. I LOVE it. It's south GA in summer and hotter than HELL but I'd rather go there than my nice, air-conditioned gym at work any day of the week. IMO it's ALL about the coaches and the community.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My husband & I work out 3 days a week in our garage with a private coach. I love it......and my kids are still sleeping in their beds while we work out.