Food Barcodes; buy from Sainsburys scans as Asda

Options
MORECHABLIS
MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
Have you been scanning in your barcodes from food? I love doing it, you discover which national supermarkets buy from the same supplier for their own brand products... You buy from a higher end supermarket (Waitrose/Sainsburys) to find the cheaper end sells the same item (Asda/Coop), perhaps at a cheaper price...

Recently;

Co-op Belgium Buns, scanned as Sainsburys Belguim Buns

Sainsburys Applewood Smoked Bacon, scanned as Asda Extra Special Dry Cured Bacon Smoked

DO YOU HAVE ANY EXAMPLES?

Replies

• bowerhill
    bowerhill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I buy some things from Morrisons and the scan says it's Tesco.
  • louisemallas
    louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes - I notice that too but there are too many example to list here.........
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Have you been scanning in your barcodes from food? I love doing it, you discover which national supermarkets buy from the same supplier for their own brand products... You buy from a higher end supermarket (Waitrose/Sainsburys) to find the cheaper end sells the same item (Asda/Coop), perhaps at a cheaper price...

Recently;

Co-op Belgium Buns, scanned as Sainsburys Belguim Buns

Sainsburys Applewood Smoked Bacon, scanned as Asda Extra Special Dry Cured Bacon Smoked

DO YOU HAVE ANY EXAMPLES?

Just because they share a barcode doesn't make them the same finished product. The barcode number is issued to the manufacturer by the retailer for the production of those goods.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Loads of Aldi stuff (particularly their Specially Selected range) when scanned comes out as Sainsbury's or even Waitrose product of the exact same thing (same GDAs etc) - but at about half the price :-)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a large Icecream producer they made pretty much all the Supermarket Own Brand Icecream in the UK at the time. Every EAN barcode basically has to be recorded, licenced and a subscription paid for it. Sometimes, less scrupilous OEM suppliers will use a single barcode for the products they make for a range of suppliers. One of the best one's i've found was Lidl's "in house brand" crumpets, that scanned as Marks & Spencers :laugh:

It's actually quite surprising, but often, the only difference on the product between Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury's product was the packaging. Certainly, let's say the "own brand" Orange Lollies from all 4 of the big supermarkets had exactly the same recipe, came off the same production machine, and basically only differed in the inner and outer boxes that they were packed in - indeed the hardest bit was to ensure that at the packaging changeover, you didn't get Asda Inner Boxes in a Tesco Outer box (or vice versa) - ever noticed that the actual lollies were all in clear transparent heatseal :wink:
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Intersting, I used to work in the industry but all own label was made to order and recipes were unique to the retailer. EAN was part of the retailers spec provided by them
  • 2muchchocncrisps
    2muchchocncrisps Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Once tried Aldi Pear cider (Harvest I think) and thought it tasted like Kopperberg. And yes, I know I shouldn't be drinking the calorific stuff, anyway scanned it dutifully to log it, and it read Kopperberg - at a fraction of the price!
  • Marie_25
    Marie_25 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this with a number of products. This concerns me, as is it really what the barcode says and is the nutritional information correct then? Anyone?
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Is it that the products are identical or is it about the MFP interface/scanner? Will we ever know... ;)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

The barcode is scanned, then the user can assign it to whatever they like, or make a new (publicly available) food entry and assign it to that.

It's not shared barcodes, it's either lazy or stupid users.

Always double check what your nutrition label says.
  • ms_leanne
    Options
    I don't trust the barcodes full stop as receipes/cals change or they are way off!