Has dieting effected your seizures?

Options
HealthyBrandi
HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
I just began a Drop 10 in 10 week program started by my health insurance company. I don't need to lose a full 10 lbs, but just enough to fit in my summer shorts when I tried them on this spring. The program promotes you to eat from each of the food groups and drink 10 glasses of water each day. This made me need to decrease my average amount of starches and protein, and increase my vegetables and fruit. I had seizures last weekend, which I seem to have a few times each month (simple partial). Although this always happens to me, my husband blamed it on my dieting and tried to force me to quit. Let me know if dieting has helped or hurt your seizures.

Replies

• papalito
    papalito Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Since I was diagnosed and could've exercise like I used too and became depressed over not eating my attempts at dieting have failed. Despite the fact that I have to walk everywhere. I suspect this is because I've been eating junk and as soon as I try to exercise I have seizures more often due to the physical stress on my body. (And maybe the physical stress of dieting and eating what I should not anything I want.
  • HealthyBrandi
    HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have your seizures been in better control now that you lost these 13 lbs? I don't think losing weight has effected me, but people always worry about me running and walking on my own.
  • harrynich
    harrynich Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Dieting definitely affects my breakthroughs. I'm having to be careful about losing weight s.l.o.w.l.y. My seizures are partial complex with occasional generalization. I used to eat to manage nausea, but nausea meds that I have now have been a godsend in that area. At 50 years of seizures (my eegs show nonstop spikes in both temporal lobes) the sluggishness and nausea from the meds are just a given in my life. Dieting definitely increases the side effects for me. But I'm having a great time on mfp and find that if I am consistent in going slowly and eating as many of my calories as I can every day I do fine.