Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Race Weight

tfonz10
tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
Please tell me how much race weight impacts performance. I have 8 weeks until my marathon and have put on 5lbs. I normally gain during training but I have not been keeping it clean this time. I am not sure how to achieve this, my calories are set to 1/2 lb weight loss per week. I am in the best shape ever so I would hate to blow this race because I am a piggy.

I need to be inspired to chill the hell out and get a grip. When I feel like going off the deep end I will come and read the responses as many times as it takes.

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    I don't think 5 lbs is gonna kill you.

That said, I weighed 114 lbs last year and ran a 10K in 50:something. Ran the same 10K this year in 48:32 and I weighed 120 lbs--intense heavy lifting. I'm 5'6".
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I gained 10 lbs marathon training, and it didn't effect my times at all. I gain when I marathon train. I'm sure it's because of an increase in cortisol levels, water retention in muscles, etc etc. I never gain in size, just lbs on the scale. I doubt you have much to worry about. I'm about the weight I finished my marathon in now and am about 30 seconds mpm faster than when I did my PR half at 10lbs lighter. But I also know I've put almost 1 1/2 inches onto my quads alone. I'm not too concerned about it since my body fat % is still about 17%, I was 15% last year. I think weight effects beginning runners more than ones with more experience, just my opinion.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Are you feeling sluggish on your runs and such? If not I wouldn't worry at all about it. Even if you are though, I'm not sure that I'd necessarily blame your weight. The only thing that I might caution about is a slim maybe if you were trying to BQ or something of that nature.

I tend to gain 5-8 pounds at the peak of training so to me a 5 lb gain is fine.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    I don't run more than 10 miles, but the more weight I lose, the faster I get. When I lose even just a pound, I feel a significant difference.

Think of yourself at your previous weight running a marathon carrying a 5 lbs backpack. It would be tough, right?

Unless you were underweight to begin with and that was hindering your performance, I would guess the 5 lbs will set you back a bit. It won't make a HUGE difference your time, but you'd do better without the 5 lbs.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Please tell me how much race weight impacts performance. I have 8 weeks until my marathon and have put on 5lbs. I normally gain during training but I have not been keeping it clean this time. I am not sure how to achieve this, my calories are set to 1/2 lb weight loss per week. I am in the best shape ever so I would hate to blow this race because I am a piggy.

I need to be inspired to chill the hell out and get a grip. When I feel like going off the deep end I will come and read the responses as many times as it takes.

The generally accepted value is 2 seconds per pound per mile.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member

The generally accepted value is 2 seconds per pound per mile.

^^^ this is what I've heard as a rule of thumb. I also came across this calculator online that (sort of) helps you see the impact of weight loss on performance, assuming your fitness level remains exactly the same... here it is, for what it's worth (and I just stumbled across it, so don't have any knowledge of its efficacy/accuracy): http://www.runningforfitness.org/faq/we
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    I have an Excel spreadsheet that contains formulas from a variety of sources (I forgot where I downloaded it).

In addition to tables from Daniels, McMillan, and Friel there's a weight guide that's labeled "Dr. Stillman's Weight Guidelines"

At 6' 1", the "Average Adult, non-active" is 182 pounds. A middle distance runner is 160 pounds (12% below average) and a long distance runner is listed at 154 pounds (15% below average).

That stunned me when I read that. I'm about 175 now and there's not a lot of extra skin or body fat (I was 16% BF @ 183) but I haven't been 155 pounds since I was a scrawny 16 year old kid.

OP, if you're 5' 6", the values read 130 for the average, non-active adult; 114 for middle distance, and 111 for long distance.

Granted, these are for competitive runners, though not necessarily elites.

My take on it - it's the easiest way to get faster so why not do it?*

*Yes, I dropped weight for my last race but I'm pretty much done with weight loss. My focus will be on endurance, speed, and strength, in that order.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I can concur as my HM from a previous season was 35min above this season's (2:10 vs 1:45), and I'm currently about 25lbs lighter than I was (150 vs 175ish). However, I am also training more effectively, but I know lugging 25 extra pounds was hampering me significantly.
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    So the 5 lbs isn't too terribly much but I can afford to lose a good 10. My bodyfat is much higher than ideal. I got a rude awakening when I did hydrostatic testing. I am officially skinny fat. I know my inability to keep it clean longer than a month is the cause.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Actually progressive resistance training and staying under your calorie goal would have more of an impact.
  • yogajess11
    yogajess11 Posts: 32 Member
    Im in the same boat, feel your pain, I actually lost about 5 pounds (had them to lose) when I started this season of marathon training. In fact, its one of the reasons after a three year hiatus I decided to train for another marathon. But for the past three weeks I have plateuaed!! Have been watching my calorie intake since I know this is usually the culprit of marathon training. But something with increasing my mileage and losing the little weight combined with the heat we are having now I think has cause me to really plateau. I have 10 weeks until my marathon and was hoping to be 10 pounds thinner then(15 lb total)! May have to rethink this goal. Looking forward to more inspring words to help me eat clean and be diligent in my calorie tracking these next 10 weeks!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Honestly the off season and base periods are the time to worry about losing weight. 8 weeks out from your marathon I'd try to eat as clean as possible and eat enough to facilitate recovery. Perhaps take the attitude that if you lose weight that's great but that you're eating for performance at this point.