Need advice

Options
missmylin
missmylin Posts: 32 Member
I posted this in my original "Hello" thread, but maybe it's more appropriate to start a new thread to get some answers. I started Week 3 of the 5K program yesterday...

"I'm struggling with this. My endurance seems to be getting worse rather than better. My distances are getting shorter and shorter, and I'm still struggling with my breathing.

Even worse, now I'm in pain. I've always had arch pain in my left foot (fell down some stairs about 5 years ago). I bought new runners at The Running Room after lots of advice and trying on shoes. The first time I walked/jogged with them, the arch pain was gone but within 15 minutes my Achilles tendons were in screaming pain.

I haven't moved to Week 3, even though I was supposed to start Week 4 today. I've been repeating runs from Weeks 1 and 2, hoping to see improvement before I move on. I really don't want to give this up, but I'm getting really discouraged :-( "

Replies

• asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You are on the hump. It does get better as far as endurance. I can tell you that you may be going too fast. You really need to go super super slow. Once you get the speed down you will be able to control your breathing. As far as the pain, I have PF & can only run every other day. I have frozen water bottles that I roll my feet on every night, I massage my feet & stretch them as well every day. You really need to stretch good too. In addition to really good running shoes that work for me I also use an ortho insert. I also now wear ugly granny shoes daily that offer good support, if I wear my cute shoes that really offer no support then I'm in pain. These are all things my Dr. Recommended. Have you spoken to your doctor about this to see what he recommends?
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Slow down! Don't try to worry about how fast you are running. Like, take it down to barely faster than a walk. See how you feel through the run then.

WRT your tendon pain, are you using a different style of shoe, like a minimalist one? IIRC that can cause Achilles tendon pain if you start out wearing them too much in the beginning. Maybe speak to someone at the place where you got them and describe the pain to see if you should be wearing them for shorter stretches to start.

Make sure you stretch after you run too. One of the best stretches is to stand on the edge of a stair and slowly lower your heels down. It stretches everything on the back of your lower leg and feels really good.
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    What shoe did you buy?

As with any beginner program, slow down! You may want to feel like you're a speed demon, but endurance comes first. Speed and endurance don't usually come together for a person who isn't trained yet. We all get there, though. :)

Stretch a warm muscle. Never cold. A good warm up for a run is to actually run at a much slower pace than you would during your regular runs. It mimics the movements and helps warm up the joints. I'm sure there are many Achilles stretches you can do.
  • missmylin
    missmylin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Success! I did the Week 3, Session 3 run today with no pain!! 3.98 km in 46 minutes :-)

I bought a pair of Saucony Hurricane 15 runners. I did as you all suggested and slowed down considerably. I feel like I'm jogging at Zombie speed, but it has really helped with the breathing and the pain. My boot camp instructor also checked if I was landing on my heels or on the forefoot; so I'm concentrating more on how I'm running.

Lyerin, I do have a pair of Vibram fivefingers that I use for boot camp. I've been too afraid to try running in them though because there's no support.

And although I was doing some stretching after the runs, I've looked up stretches for Achilles tendons and have started doing more of a warm up and stretch before starting the run.

Thanks everyone for helping me out. This is an awesome group :-)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear this. I know what you mean about the speed, I always feel like I'm flying, but I know the reality is I'm shambling along and I'm ok w/that. Remember to concentrate on your endurance, speed will come later & stretch, stretch, stretch.