Deadlifts and OHP

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
Good morning my lovely stronglifts ladies!

I did my workout B this morning and I have a few questions for you guys!

I am at 65lbs for OHP and even though I got my 5x5, i can definitely tell that it is a struggle. I am from Toronto Canada, and I am wondering if you guys know where I can get some 1.25lb fractionals. I thought about going to a hardware store to get them but obviously it would be hard for me to weigh them and also to make sure that they will fit on the olympic bars.

I am deadlifting 105 now (from the looks of others, I am still at baby steps haha). However, I find that my grip slips when I do both overhand grips on the bar. The weight is so heavy that it is making them slip. I tried an under/over hand grip today and it worked a bit better. I see some guys at the gym using wrist straps...are those useful?

Also, I am currently doing the deadlifts where you are to bend at the knees. I find that with this weight, when I come back up from the squat position, my lower back REALLY feels it haha. Is this normal? I find that I feel it more in my lower back than in my hamstrings and my glutes. To compensate, I also do some romanian deadlifts. Which ones should I be doing and is it normal to feel it in my lower back?

Thanks so much ladies!!

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I got my fractionals on Amazon for $17.95 with shipping. It was either that or ordering 2" washers online and making my own plates, which would have cost about the same and required extra hassle.

Deadlifts: in general, basic exercises for novices improve through direct practice, not through assistance exercises. I wouldn't do RDLs at this stage--just work on regular deadlifts. Can you post a vid of your form? Sometimes a simple form tweak can help add poundage.
  • j99li
    Options
    How does one take videos on form if they work alone? Also, how do you make your own plates from washers??
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You can glue multiple washers together--you need big ones, and they can be hard to find. Even Home Depot doesn't stock them in the US. Amazon is easier, but it depends on how much your time is worth to you :)

About filming yourself--some people use a camera with an actual tripod. I use a cell phone camera. I put it on a weight bench at a 45 degree angle and stick it in a 10 lb plate (they have handle holes, and it's just about a perfect size for my phone if I cushion it with a towel. I am pretty inventive.

Ideally, in a form video, your feet and your head are visible, and it's shot from an angle higher than the floor.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I bought 2" washers today. Two washers are approx. 1.25 lbs. I bought 6 washers for $12.00 at Brofasco (in Canada).
  • sampson2010
    sampson2010 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Catfive! I'm in T.O. and I might just make a trip to Brafasco this weekend.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Mixed grip and chalk are your best bets for a good grip on a deadlift.

You definitely should not be feeling it in your lower back. Hopefully you can get a video and someone can help you with form.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Mixed grip and tighten up your core before you lift that barbell on the deadlift.

I find that using a mixed grip makes me push more from my feet/heels instead of pull with my arms, and tightening my core (and everything else for that matter) keeps my lower back stable and engaged. A loose muscle is one that's just being set up to get strained. So tighten up and engage those muscles properly before you lift. I haven't really had back troubles since I've started doing those two things, and my lower back gives me fits all the time to begin with because of a car accident some years back. I can now do deadlifts in sets of 3x5 rather than 5 singles, which is a huge improvement for me.
  • j99li
    Options
    Awesome! I called my local fastenal store in Toronto and they will be delivering it to my house today. I am pretty excited!! Haha who knew I would be excited over that?

How are you ladies using it? For all of your lifts or just the ones that need them?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have my lifting program set up to increase all my lifts by 2.5 lbs/week (even squats because my core is still so weak) except deadlifts which I take up by 5 lbs/week. I use my fractionals all.the.time.