ADVICE NEEDED URGENTLY

Hi My wife has had a serious balance problem for over 10 years. recently it has become so bad she can not walk. Her neurologist suspects gluten ataxia. Does anyone else on this site have this and can they offer any advice? She is so poorly we are immediately trying to go gluten free as a trial. i can sort her out for most meals but am at a loss what to give her for breakfast if she can't have bread or cerials. I would be grateful for any suggestions and some friendly advice where to buy gluten free products - I am UK based. If you think you can give me some help in this regard and don't mind answering probably obvious questions please send me a friend request.

Replies

• CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    How about eggs or an omelet or something like that. Maybe a protein shake of some sort that might offer her some much needed protein. I am gluten free for two weeks now and I think it is helping with my asthma. Also there is a book out there called wheat belly that talks about going gluten free and it also has a lot of recipe ideas in the book. I hope this offers some relief. friend me if you want. Good Luck!
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Hi! I've accepted your friend request. The healthiest options involve NOT replacing the breads, etc. but for starters UDI brand multigrain bread is the best gf bread out there. My breakfasts are either a piece of toast and a couple of eggs with fruit, or an omelette with lots of veggies, or gf cereal (Nature's Path has a bunch but they are not really that healthy). I also make a hot cereal out of rice hot cereal and add flax, hemp hearts and other stuff to it. One can also by gluten-free (i.e. no cross contamination) oatmeal ... but it's very dear so I don't).

Does your wife have issues with dairy or soy? Sometimes taking out gluten is not enough initially -- I can have dairy now but couldn't for a number of years.

I am impressed that you have such a forward thinking neurologist. My neurologist just stared into space recently when I asked him whether accidental gluten ingestion could be causing my symptoms!

Oh! You're in the UK -- just noticed. I recall hearing that the admissable gluten levels are HIGHER in UK products, which likely would not be good for your wife. Just something to watch for.

This site has some amazing recipes. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca/
    Also, many people have gluten-free recipe boards on Pinterest -- I find quite a few that way.
    Even though she really shouldn't replace all the starchy stuff -- this is my favourite pizza crust recipe because pizza is important -- it's excellent: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Gluten-Free-Pizza-241924

There are a number of good rice pasta brands available (and corn too).

You can use corn starch, potato starch or tapioca starch to thicken things (first two are good with gravy, first and last for sweet things). If you're in the UK, you likely add breadcrumbs to hamburgers, etc. -- not needed.

My favourite baked goods are made out of this little book -- very healthy, high in protein and not made with junk: (comes from Canada though it's on Amazon so you might be in luck. You would just need to make sure you can access the ingredients locally): http://thenograinerbaker.com/

That's all I've got for now, but feel free to message me if you have questions. I'd love to help :-).
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Forgot to add -- we eat a lot of asian food -- in particular Thai and Indian. Had to learn to make it myself since we live in a rural area with a dearth of food choices. If you make lots for dinners, you can freeze and use for easy gf lunches later on. And I have kids that LOVE this stuff for breakfast too!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Eggs are good of course but you can make gluten free pancakes, waffles, quiches and such. If you're just wanting to be as simple as possible while you get used to things then eggs, fruit, gluten free yogurt, gluten free breakfast meats and gluten free granola (though she may want to avoid oats for awhile in the beginning because many gluten intolerant people can't tolerate those either.) You can make a breakfast casserole using eggs, cheese, meat and/or vegetables very easily. We often do this, it's like a quiche but you don't have a crust. I mix everything up, pour it into a 9x13 greased pan, bake and then we just cut squares of it for breakfast or a snack. Easy to do and you can vary them quite a bit so you're eating the same thing but you're not. :)
  • natycoo
    natycoo Posts: 4
    Hi, if you want to go gluten free the best place for advice/to start is here coeliac.org.uk - otherwise, all large supermarkets have lots of gluten free products nowadays and Holland & Barretts also stock some (gluten free oats, millet, etc). For me, nothing beats a good porridge with some banana and soya milk in the morning!
  • Thank you all for your replies i read them to my wife and she was really surprised how quickly you kind people responded with advice ,help, and friendship.

merv
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Sounds like me. :smile: My gluten intolerance was giving me mild ataxia. Since going GF my balance is much better. I can stand without swaying slightly, I dont trip on stairs, and I no longer gravitate towards the hallway walls after eating lunch. Hope she feels better soon on a GF diet!

No one suggested Quinoa. Sometimes I add cooked quinoa to greek yogurt or Lactose Free milk to make a "porridge" then I add fresh or dried fruits and nuts/seeds for flavour. I like the red kind best for breakfast. Its high in protein and will help keep you full for hours.

You can also add a little to omlettes or scrabbled eggs. It tastes a little nutty. Eggs in general are a good option.

I also like these cornmeal pancakes. In general most of the other recipes I have tried look great until you add syrup. Gluten free baked goods absorb moisture easily and get soggy too fast. These hold up good. I freeze them and often fry and egg to make a "breakfast sandwich". http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-lemon-pancakes-recipe
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    I normally eat the following for breakfast

1.) 2 scrambled eggs with shredded cheese and spinach
    2 pieces of bacon
    Green tea

2.) Smoothie (spinach, strawberries, milled flaxseed, coconut water truvia sweetner)

3.) 2 boiled eggs

4.) 2 scrambled eggs, 2 sausage patties

Try to stay away from the Gluten-Free foods initially. Sometimes the grains make me ill even though they are gluten free.

Good luck
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    You know, you can eat anything for breakfast that you can eat for other meals. There's not rule!
  • I agree going gluten free has helped with my asthma. Thanks for the book advice!
  • I too have read the wheat belly book and as a result have eliminated wheat for the last two weeks. I feel better already and have NO cravings.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I usually have yogurt or eggs. If your wife likes oatmeal, be sure to get oats that are specifically labeled "gluten free." Buckwheat is another grain that does not contain gluten, in spite of the name, and the kind that you cook for breakfast is good with maple syrup. Always read labels, just to make sure that anything you buy wasn't processed around wheat. Some of the pancake mixes, like Pamela's and Bob's Red Mill, are very tasty, and pancakes are quick to make.

I hope that going gluten free solves the problem for your wife!
  • khaapala
    khaapala Posts: 32 Member
    I'm reading that book, "Wheat Belly," and amazed at how so much of what he writes makes total sense. I have one week GF now, but wondering how to count calories.... ???
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I'm reading that book, "Wheat Belly," and amazed at how so much of what he writes makes total sense. I have one week GF now, but wondering how to count calories.... ???

Are you using MFP to log what you eat? I'm able to find most of the gluten free foods that I eat, and I also use the recipe function for recipes that I make from scratch.
  • Eadne
    Eadne Posts: 18 Member
    Any big supermarket will have a "free from" section which stocks a variety of gluten free breads, breakfast cereals and other products such as oats, crumpets, pasta, biscuits, flour, etc. Asda and Sainsbury sell gluten free sausages, and Asda's 'own brand' frozen hash browns are gluten free. It's worth having a look in health food shops such as Holland & Barrett too. I highly recommend Genius and Warburtons gluten free bread, Orgran pasta and Livwell crumpets.

I sometimes shop online at http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/diet/G-Gluten_Free.html as you get free delivery on orders over £35.