Daily Challenge 30/08/2013

m23prime
m23prime Posts: 358 Member
Okay Campers!

The Labor Day Weekend is upon us! Three days of Summer's Last Harumble!

And I want everybody to have the best of all possible holiday weekends. I hope you spend it in high spirits and in good company.

It is very possible you will be feasting with friends and family this weekend--and you should enjoy the heck out of it!

BUT--you should also stay on track.

We are heading into the feasting season--and the danger lurks that old winter habits could kick over our summer's resolve.

One thing that keeps coming up again and again is the need for planning. Especially around things like holiday feasts.

So, my fellow travelers, your challenge today is to create a meal plan for the long weekend.

Click ahead a few days in your log and mix and match some likely holiday weekend fare--if you are planning on entertaining, and plan to lay out nibbles and such, sort some portions into your diary and set them aside for yourself.

Check those restaurant menus online and make good choices before being distracted by juicy objects...

Log some potential meals and snacks. Make some notes. Leave yourself some clues!

Prepare yourself for the weekend ahead. And while you ponder your food choices and nutritional strategies for Labor Day, think ahead to the holidays coming up. Now is a good time to practice those good habits!

Good logging and good luck!

m(ark)23

Especially you "spontaneous eaters"

Replies

• slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    Great Challenge! Yes, the next few months are what I consider the "DANGER ZONE!" for anyone trying to reduce body fat.
    Labor Day will be good practice for the continual feasting that starts October31st and doesn't end until February 14th.

Thanks M(ark)23prime, you are the best!

Grilling meat and veggies is tasty and keeps me on track! I'll get some chicken marinating now. Yum!
  • BACKTOCHRISSY
    BACKTOCHRISSY Posts: 73 Member
    Not lagging on exercise just because it's a holiday weekend is also a good idea too.
    Planning, exercise and staying motivated will help.

I've got company coming but know where I'll be eating all weekend. So, I know how to keep it lighter during the day if I know I'm eating at a restaurant at night. I'll also be getting to the gym the second they open to get that in and out of the way.

I'll let you all know how I do on Monday :bigsmile:
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Great challenge, Mark! I've got my travel scale packed, and my exercise regimen planned out, but I will have to work to figure out a solid meal plan for the long weekend. I am a big-time spontaneous eater, and even though there will be food all around me (going to the beach), I've got two things going in my favor: (1) I will be a lot more active than usual, and (2) my kids are not grazers, so there won't be much opportunity to snack anyway.

Thanks to you and Alana for watching out for us!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Givens, have a great time at the beach. I generally lose when I go there because we pack our own snacks and drinks. You will do great!

Our plan this weekend is to stay home, knock down some of the Honey-Do lists, so (like BTC) we will be fully in control of our choices. I imagine we will have breakfast out one day, but that is easily handled, so I'm feeling good about the weekend.

Our gym will be open only from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day this weekend, THAT will be rough. The honey-do's include jobs best done in the early morning hours before it gets too hot, but we'll try to get to the gym between 11 and 1 at least two of the days. Weekends we also do walking/hiking somewhere. I think this weekend will be Piedras Marcadas area of Petroglyph National Monument, but only if we go really early. Too hot in that area after about 10 a.m. in my heat wimpy opinion.

Have a great long weekend everyone!
  • Great idea! I liked reading through those who posted! I am working Saturday and then staying home for the rest of the weekend trying to get stuff done in that one moment my husband will actually be home! I plan to make a big pot of beet borscht (if you don't know it's soup) on maybe Saturday and one day of the weekend we will go for dinner but I already know where we are going and I will pre visit the menu and nutrition for my best choices!

I am unfortunately still ill and now have stiff joint body aches to accompany not having a voice! I will be taking care of my body and not pushing any physical activity until I feel stronger, I am still having a hard time catching my breath when I exert myself! I walked for 20 minutes yesterday and I had to keep stopping! A little rest now so I get better faster :)
  • cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Just like Dan, we are working on Honey-Do's this weekend. We have some painting on the house to finish up, closets to clean, trees to trim, landscaping to finish up, sidewalks and driveway to pressure wash...BUSY!

We also plan to hit the gym pretty hard and involve our kids in some family friendly hill running competition.

So, food wise, I think it's going to be a good weekend!!

CC
  • Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 762 Member
    Booo, no holiday or feasting seasons over here!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Pidge, I thought you all didn't need an excuse to hit the Pub? (Ducking and running.)

Holly: Take care of yourself. Getting sick is not a good time to push yourself to new physical fitness levels. Eat well and heal!
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    I plan on hitting the gym at least 2 out of the next 3 days and maybe do some light grilling at the beach... All healthy things... Teriyaki chicken breasts, and grilled veggies mostly... So I hope I do well this weekend... :bigsmile: Have a GREAT weekend EVERYONE!
  • This is a big challenge! Tomorrow I am going to eat something healthy before going to the kite festival on the beach. Then I know we will eat out for supper, so I am going to try and drink water and maybe eat an apple before I go out to eat so I feel fuller and don't splurge on every greasy yummy item of food there is. On Sunday we usually eat at home and eat mostly healthy. Labor Day I have heard we are having a party or something... I have to work on my plan for that day! I hope to do Zumba 1-2 times a day. I am only on the 20 minute one so I have to do it twice and I am working on a quilt that I am sewing for myself. The key for me is to stay busy and keep my mind off food!
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Well...whether you have a long weekend off or if you are pulling midnight to eights at mill, or just somewhere in between, I hope you all have a safe and fun few days.

Lots of good ideas being posted.

Your plan doesn't HAVE to be crazy detailed or in depth--just a few notes and a couple of notions ahead of time are often all it takes to stay out of trouble.

Your weekends will already be challenging enough--so we won't be posting anything new until late Sunday...ish...?...maybe...when we put up a new weekly challenge.

The Daily Challenge will reconvene on Tuesday.

Good logging and good luck and happy thoughts to you ALL.

Mark