The Stick - Marathon Stick

Options
fuzzball01
fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
Right now I am battling hip bursitis and IT Band issues. Looking to buy The Stick. Not sure what size I should get or if it is worth the money. I run - bike and do elliptical. Throw in some walking on easy days. May get into strength training, not sure on that one yet. I am 5'2 and weigh between 140 - 150 pounds (actually I am about 145 pounds right now). Is one brand better than another?

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have a stick and for good or bad I hardly use it. My preference is a foam roll and/or Trigger Point. The Stick is nice for traveling though.
  • Trishrunnerhi
    Trishrunnerhi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fuzzball, you and I are about the same runners- I'm about 150, and am 53 years old. Long time runner, lots of overuse injuries. And getting older doesn't help.

I second schmenge's suggestion-- the foam roller. Medium length (not the short one which is about a foot?) and I'd go for a medium softness-- something that has a little give to it. I used one in a gym that was black and had NO give, and yowsa, talk about painful. Even the medium one will be quite uncomfortable when you first start using it. And YOU roll on IT, not the other way around, so your body weight gives some nice even pressure down on the roller and on your IT band.

Good luck, you can get them at medical supply stores and probably anywhere on line.

Trish
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you Trishrunnerhi. I am even actually starting IMPACT TRAINING (which they help with this injury and get me back on the road to recovery) so I hope that helps. The trainer said the same thing you did - white roller not black.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a stick and foam roller. I use the foam roller much more. The only thing I find the stick better for are calf muscles.

My best results for butt and IT band is a tennis ball. Who knew $0.99 could be so effective! Just use it leaning against a wall and wow! It works great for your back/shoulders too. Have not been able to make it work on the front of the hips or thighs though.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Foam roller for sure! I have a medium weight as well as a dense one, and typically prefer the denser of the two; it's awesome in a hurt-so-good kind of a way. :smile: I also keep the ubiquitous tennis ball in both my work desk and my gear bag. You never know when there's going to be a free minute for getting in a mini massage!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have a The Stick and a Foam Roller. I use The Stick mainly for my calves and hamstrings. I use the Foam Roller for Quads, Hips, IT band, and Glutes. You would probably get more relief from a foam roller.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have the Stick (smaller version) and a Rumble Roller (larger blue version) and both help in different ways. If I need a really good, hard massage of my muscles, I choose the RR. But, if it's just to work out some kinks and stress in my muscles, back, upper regions, then I pull out the Stick. Just don't try to take the stick on a plane!! No bueno.