Feeling discouraged!!!!

Options
Melvinik
Melvinik Posts: 13 Member
Hey Group
I hope everything is well with everyone. Just wanted to share that lately that negative voice that says "your never gonna lose this weight" started creeping in again. Didn't want to workout today..but I pushed through it and walked. I felt a little better but still hearing the voice. I know this is a journey but it's hard...can anyone share some light on how they get through this part..or what motivates them to keep moving..Thanks for your comments in advance :)

Replies

• mep0430
    mep0430 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You're doing the exact right thing. You didn't want to workout but you DID. That's what you need to focus on. Don't think about the big number. Focus on a weekly goal like 1 or 2 pounds. Every day that you make good choices is a mini victory, remember that.
  • Melvinik
    Options
  • mscountrygirl39456
    mscountrygirl39456 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My motto is NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!! I am tired if being tired ALL the time, I'm tired of being the fattest person at family get togethers, I am making a change 1 small pound at a time...... I had gained about 130 LBS over a 10 yrs period, I know it's not gonna fall off easily, I am taking this one day at a time, I don't want to lose weight so fast that when I reach my goal that I gain it all back and then some..... I have lost 38 lbs since April and I am determined to keep up my hard work and keep the weight off..... yeah I know it's a long hard journey...... NEVER GIVE UP !!!!!!
  • Melvinik
    Options
    Gotta learn how to "never give up" thank you
  • seitner
    seitner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hang in there friend we all have those days, do not give up!! Your friends are here for you!
  • Melvinik
    Options
    Thanks it feel so good to be supported!!!!!!!
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If You Correct your mind , the rest of you life will fall into place!!

~ Tao Tzu
  • judgejess
    judgejess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think that even if we only do one thing a day, we're doing something right. Because we have a journey ahead of us, we have to start small. So for me, even though I've gained and have gained some weight since I started, at least I'm counting my calories. I'm logging in everyday. I'm sharing my feelings and getting practical and emotional support. I've worked out a few times.

So by posting here today, you did something. BE PROUD OF THAT!! :) We are all here for you. You can do this.

If you want, check in everyday with us--we'll be your loudest cheerleaders. :)

xx,
    jess
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, but what I did is set up small goals for myself! My firs is 15lbs, then when I reach that I will change it to 30 and continue until I lose the dreaded 200 I have to lose! It helps me a lot because 200 is a big number and intimidating.

Hang in there, dear, we are here to support you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Can totally appreciate where you're coming from!
    Some people like to treat themselves when they reach a certain goal, would something like that work for you?
    It could be a manicure when you lose X lbs, or a new top.. anything.
  • eyemama5
    eyemama5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the smaller goals thing too! I set the goal to get under 300 lbs. I'm there and feeling so gooooood about it! Now I'm determined to never go over that mark again. Now it want to get under 285. That's where my Weight Watchers diet started about 5 years ago. I hope I can get there before Thanksgiving, but I would still be happy if I made it by Christmas. Baby Steps! and then it doesn't seem like it is a goal that you will never reach. Hope your journey is a good one!:flowerforyou:
  • Melvinik
    Options
    Wow...makes so much sense!!!! Thanks
  • Melvinik
    Options
    That is so true...stop thinking about big goals and look forward to the small ones....Thank You
  • rahdeyoung
    rahdeyoung Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm with you today. Feeling discouraged. I think it just hits you sometimes when you have a lot to lose. For example, I started at 317 and I've lost 60 so far. And that's great but today I looked in the mirror and saw someone the size of the biggest loser contestants at the START of the show. I've been doing what everyone here is saying, just looking at small goals. I'm trying to get to 250 by my birthday in 3 weeks. That's about 7 lbs so I'm trying to stay motivated and achieve that. Then I have other goals that are all in less than 20lb incriments. Slow and steady we can do this. And push through the discouragement.
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Easy to get discouraged, but perseverance pays off! Be patient with yourself 2 lbs. per week is awesome progress and it seems to take forever when you start out big.

I began at 333. End of last week I weighed 295. It has been the hardest work of my life, but I am determined to do it!

A few things I do to stay motivated....

MFP is GREAT for tracking progress on the scale, but make sure you measure and track your measurements as well. There has been many times when the scale didn't move, but I lost an inch here a quarter inch there and vice versa. You can lose weight and not inches. Its a marathon not a sprint.

Also, I keep a t-shirt nailed to my kitchen wall (I'm a dude, so it seems a bit extreme I know) I haven't worn that shirt since I was 15 (again, I'm a dude, we keep stupid stuff). I AM going to wear that shirt again (size XL). No maybes....its gonna happen!

Today I put a picture up of me last fall (not many pictures to pick from since I avoided it) and one of today. Even I was surprised by the progress physically. Others tell you, but you don't see it because you see you everyday! Its like watching your kids grow. When your there every day, you don't notice so much. Go away for two weeks and they are HUGE! Same thing. Take pictures every couple of weeks or so and keep them on your fridge...you'll amaze yourself at your progress.

Do not quit!!! You are making progress. Even if you gain a pound back, don't freak, just keep working and adjusting as your weight and body change. The more you lose, the slower the progress will seem, but it takes your body time to adjust and as you get lighter, the less calories you burn per half hour, so just accept it and keep working.

Good Luck!!!:glasses:
  • judgejess
    judgejess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For those of you who were able to make it over the initial hurdle and drop 40 pounds, how did you do it? What gave you strength? What gave you motivation? How'd you stay on target?

(HELP!)
    :)
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    For me staying on target is an everyday struggle. But it comes with having a change in mindset, and the determination to want to change. In the past I wanted to change but didnot have the determination/motivation to change. This lead me to be at my highest 400lbs. and unable to do a lot of things...things most people take for granted....like walking around a store, getting out of bed without pain etc. I no longer want to be this way and want to experience more out of life. I know that in order to do so I need to loose the weight. One of the biggest helps that I had along the way was to stop making excuses....ie....well I can't afford to buy healthy.......I can't afford gym equipment......I don't have time......if only this or that.
    Don't get me wrong there are still days that I get discouraged, but I remind myself to look at the big picture.....if I give up and go back to how things were it will not be long and I will be back at that 400lbs and unable to just walk without pain
  • Melvinik
    Options
    Thanks for your comment:)...it helped
  • Melvinik
    Options
    Easy to get discouraged, but perseverance pays off! Be patient with yourself 2 lbs. per week is awesome progress and it seems to take forever when you start out big.

I began at 333. End of last week I weighed 295. It has been the hardest work of my life, but I am determined to do it!

A few things I do to stay motivated....

MFP is GREAT for tracking progress on the scale, but make sure you measure and track your measurements as well. There has been many times when the scale didn't move, but I lost an inch here a quarter inch there and vice versa. You can lose weight and not inches. Its a marathon not a sprint.

Also, I keep a t-shirt nailed to my kitchen wall (I'm a dude, so it seems a bit extreme I know) I haven't worn that shirt since I was 15 (again, I'm a dude, we keep stupid stuff). I AM going to wear that shirt again (size XL). No maybes....its gonna happen!

Today I put a picture up of me last fall (not many pictures to pick from since I avoided it) and one of today. Even I was surprised by the progress physically. Others tell you, but you don't see it because you see you everyday! Its like watching your kids grow. When your there every day, you don't notice so much. Go away for two weeks and they are HUGE! Same thing. Take pictures every couple of weeks or so and keep them on your fridge...you'll amaze yourself at your progress.

Do not quit!!! You are making progress. Even if you gain a pound back, don't freak, just keep working and adjusting as your weight and body change. The more you lose, the slower the progress will seem, but it takes your body time to adjust and as you get lighter, the less calories you burn per half hour, so just accept it and keep working.

Good Luck!!!:glasses:
  • Melvinik
    Options
    That was awesome!!!!!! Such great advice...Thanks so much..it's soooooo easy to give up....I must keep going