Help me with my next steps pwease!

lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
So... following on from my hijacking of the chat thread, what next.. 2 days lifting (of some description) and one day cardio?
It's gotta be simple though, cos I'm a bear of very little brain!

Replies

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    What else do you like doing? Have you tried running? I completed the C25K (couch to 5km) and then the B210k (bridge to 10 km) a couple of years ago. I discovered that running isn't my thing, but I'm so glad I did try though. My partner has gotten really into cycling, so I go off wither for a nice long ride once a week, which mixes things up for me. I also discovered a yoga class in my tiny little village (2 mins walk from home) which I made myself try out because of the convenience (and nothing happens here, so gotta give a new thing a go!). To my surprise, I love it. Since starting studying I haven't gone much, but after nearly 8 months of no yoga, my body is telling me to get back there! I've also done boxing for fitness (love it, but it was outside and didn't continue over winter) and numerous classes (TRX, HIIT, etc). Oh, and then there's Crossfit. Have you tried it? It's fun, social, challenging and involves weights. So many options, so little time!
  • lwoodroff
    Yes, I ran, dud couch to 5k, loved it, left the gym, and then ny knee proceeded to go on strike :'(
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    You could easily move from Stronglifts into a more advanced lifting program, or go into maintenance mode if you're happy with your current strength levels and just wish to maintain them.

Some options are:
    Texas Method
    Wendler
    Nia Shanks

I'm currently doing 3x8 squats, bench press and OHP on Mondays and 1x5 deadlifts, 3x5 power cleans and 3x8 Pendlay rows on Fridays. Because the lifting only takes like 20 minutes, you could easily add some accessory work into your lifting sessions.

I do cardio before my lifting sessions instead, but that's a personal preference.

My cardio varies between our elliptical, and I've also started a 5K walking program (cause the last time I tried to run my knees protested so I'm not doing that again). I cover as much ground speed walking as others do jogging, so who cares? In addition I take my bike out for rides around a nearby park. I also have an XBox and bought Yourshape Fitness Evolved for Kinect, and I do kickboxing (which I really enjoy) and other such things. I try to do some form of cardio every day and take 1 day a week off.

You could easily explore dumbbell and/or kettlebell complexes/workouts in circuit form which are a great way to work on cardio and endurance while providing resistance training at the same time. Put some basic exercises together, do 2-3 cycles of them and bam, done. I've done barbell complexes with the empty Oly bar that are a fun way to explore lifts like Romanian deadlifts, push-presses and other such things. You can google different complexes until you find a few you think you want to try, then print the instructions, take them to the gym with you, and just go for it. Complexes are awesome.

Another thing to consider would be a body weight workout (a great way to get all those small muscle groups involved) and set new goals for things like push-ups, pull-ups etc.

Or take up a sport or martial arts or something. I mean really, the possibilities are endless. The key is to pick something you will love and stick with.
  • lwoodroff
    But I love sl!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    What are your goals exactly? (ok, maybe not exactly, how about a rough guess?) I'd do 3x a week lifting with the Texas method and add core work and/or some HIIT afterwards.

Just my opinion without really knowing what YOU want to do.:flowerforyou:
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    I love stronglifts too x

How about the Body weight stuff - and set yourself challenges?

I add extra accessory stuff in after lifting - right now I am trying to get better at push ups - max reps so far are 13 in one go

Or air squats - I try and do at least 150+ on my lifting days

Or chin ups.

That way you keep going with SL - but also give yourself a challenge - I find goals work personally for me when doing any fitness stuff , when I started running, every time I ran was the furthest I'd ever ran in my life - HUGE motivator, and same with SL I love that every time I lifted when i started I was lifting more than I ever had before.

Nia Shanks as Dani said has great body weight stuff - or also check out Nerd fitness

xx

xx
  • lwoodroff
    I want to be able to lift all the things! I want to be functionally strong (I can't believe that I can't squat 60kg for example) and I wouldn't be averse to a slow body recomp..
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Hi Lydia,

OK, so what I hear is that you want to be functionally strong, and fit. And you'd like to drop some body fat and build some muscle.

If all you want is to be strong, keep following a program designed for strength. Cardio does not build strength, in fact too much cardio may interfere with your strength goals. Everything that you do should be in support of your goal of strength.

I would not recommend an intermediate program to you yet. I've been hanging out on the Starting Strength forum and they always recommend that people milk their linear progression for as long as possible. Because when you move to an intermediate program, things get harder, not easier. Texas method is brutally hard compared to Starting Strength. The programming is also more complicated, and you want to keep things simple for as long as you can, so take that into account as well.

I would recommend that you first focus on nailing down your form, which will give you more strength gains and body awarenes. I had had advice at MFP that my form was good, but over at SS I've gotten much better advice and consequently more strength gains.

You probably won't like what I say next. More fat loss, or body recomp, will involve nailing down your diet a bit more than you have lately. Like your training, your diet should support your goal of strength gains. Setting the right macros and hitting them each day will mean better training sessions which will mean more strength gains. I haven't looked at your diary lately but enough protein and carbs are generally what you need in order to support your training.

You said recomp would be nice. You could set yourself a goal of cutting down 5-10 pounds and then slowly bulking back up. That would probably be more successful than hoping for recomp, which is really slow.

As you identify weak points in your lifts -- which will happen when you get form advice from experts -- you can add a few accessory lifts to help those weak points if you want. You don't have to, but you can. But don't just add in things willy-nilly. Add in the things that will help you build more strength in the main lifts. Have a plan that supports your goals, and do the things that fit the plan.

In summary, I don't think it sounds like you need to change plans so much as maybe fine tune the plan that you are doing now. That would probably also be easier since you want to keep things simple.

Last word about cardio -- I haven't ever heard you say that you love cardio. To me, all cardio does is allow me to eat more calories. Cardio doesn't do anything to build sexy muscles. I would only do more cardio if you want to eat more, or if you really enjoy it. Now having said that, I"m doing about 2 hours of cardio per week. But I'm clear in my mind about it that the cardio is not doing anything to increase my strength.

Hope this helps some -- take what fits and leave the rest :flowerforyou:
  • lwoodroff
    Thank you Elaine.

The only reason I want to do a little cardio is to keep my CV health up, I know my stamina is lower since starting SL. but I'm not interested in doing cardio for its own sake or for extra food!

You are totally right about diet being the main factor - again, because I'm not in a hurry with this - it's got to be forever and it has to fit in with my life (not the other way round), I have to find a balance between eating all the protein and being a desk jockey, wife and mother, with a husband who loves his carbs! I'm not cooking 3 different dinners every night or spending our entire household budget on meeeaaatttt... so I'm trying not to obsess about getting the max protein every.single.day. Diary is set at 125g, I'm shooting for 100g and if I get over 80 I'm fairly happy. I don't think I'm lifting to such an extent that I'm starving my muscles! tomorrow will be a full week of full diary entries, so I'm going to try and be disciplined and see how that goes over the next few weeks. I know when I'm disciplined, the weight comes off (not that I'm bothered by that at the moment, but my trousers have become a little snug so I know I need to keep focused!).

I really don't think I've hit all my 'noob gains' yet. I suspect my form is letting me down, and if I tighten that up, improvements will come. I'm going to try to get some video tomorrow for instant feedback and of course to give y'all a giggle! I'm also not the type that gets bored after 5 minutes, so I don't feel the 'need' to change things up just to keep me interested.

definitely interested in accessory work that supports the lifts, and just ensuring that I'm focused at the gym!

Let's see what the videos bring, I'm sure you can all make some good suggestions! :)

thanks again