Clomiphene?

Options
amylouize2012
amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
Hi you guys!

I was diagnosed with PCOS just before I went away to get married (last October) and I didn't feel like I could deal with it at the time so I still have my referral letter from my doc tucked away at home and I never faxed it because I know they are just going to put me on Clomiphene . I have been warned that this can cause massive weight gain (not for everybody but you just know I'd be one of the unlucky ones!!) and I really want to see what I can do to help myself before I turn to the drugs.

I would be very interested to know what improvements anyone have since going on the Clomiphene if it's not TMI and you don't mind me asking?

I also want to know if it will cause absent Aunt Flo to return and if it helped anyone loose weight or if anyone feel that they just balooned?

I had that contraceptive bar in my arm (Implanon) and it was there for 3 years. My periods stopped when it went in (which the doc says is normal) but I piled the weight on and I haven't been right since. I don't get my TOTM now unless I am on the pill. I am not on the pill at the moment because I am so fed up putting crap into my body which might not help and I feel that taking hormones caused the problem in the first place.

HOWEVER my doc says I have to so something to induce a bleed at least once every 3 months. It has now been 10 months and I am worried. I tried Agnus Castus which is meant to be brill (I think it is Vitex in the states) but I am still the same. I am reading about Inositol at the moment and I think I'm gonna hop onto the forums and see what ideas others with PCOS have.

I have the pill in my handbag today, was thinking of taking it today and for the rest of the week so that I would have a withdrawl bleed but I really don't want to if there is another way.

I don't know anyone else with PCOS so I don't have anyone to turn to about it would love to hear from you all in particular if anyone has any advise. If you don't want to post feel free to send me a private message. Thanks so much Amy-Louize xx

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I am on my 3rd cycle of Clomid. I ahve had a slight weight gain however I have not been as strict with my diet so how much of that weight gain is due to the Clomid and how much is due to my lacks in control over my diet.

You should see your TOM come back since Clomid helps force an ovulation. When I went on Metformin my period went from a 40 day cycle to about a 31 day cycle. After going on Clomid I went from a 31 day cycle to a 28 day cycle. So with the help of clomid I am on a normal cycle. But Still not pregnant :(
  • sheddingpounds83
    Options
    I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL IVE TRIED CLOMID FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND GLUCOPHAGE AND NOTHING HAS WORKED FOR ME EITHER :(:(:(:(
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on my first cycle of Clomid. It's all new to me.

We always used to get told there were too many issues with the both of us (PCOS, male factor, and possible endo) for Clomid to be of any use. We'd taken several years off TTC and went for new tests this year, fully expecting to need more IVF. But all our test results for the both of us have come back completely normal! My tubes are open, no sign of endo, hormone levels are "perfect", I'm ovulating, DH has 8x the swimmers he used to, and they're of normal quality and motility too! BUT still no baby. So I think they've put me on Clomid just because they didn't really know what else to do, to "support ovulation". I'll have three cycles on this dose for now, then review with my consultant.

(I put this positive change down to low carb eating and taking supplements and trying hard to be healthy. My doctor puts it down to 8 years of Metformin finally kicking in...)

I know that ladies who don't get AF often take Provera or something similar to induce it before Clomid. While on Clomid it should itself keep the cycle going, although not necessarily regular. I do know some even have to keep having the AF induced with drugs even after a failed Clomid cycle.

I can't really say much about weight gain yet, but I can say that I AM RAVENOUS ALL THE TIME - so not really surprised if people put some weight on! I'm really really trying to stick to low-ish carb foods and fill up with veggies to minimize the damage though. The amounts can get a bit silly, though, and I'm still left feeling hungry. (I'm starving as I'm writing this, though I've just had two fried eggs, an avocado and a big decaf coffee with cream for breakfast!)

Sorry to go on... Hope you'll get your answers and AF shows up again (or doesn't, for the right reason!)