Newbie here

Options
My name is Deseree and I am EBF my fifth kiddo who is now seven weeks old. I gained 33 pounds with this one and have lost 16 of that so far. My goal is to lose 44 pounds all together while breastfeeding. I'm not one to cut my calories because I know how important it is to maintain a healthy milk supply but I do work out and eat healthier. I'm always looking for new foods to add into my "diet" and support.

Replies

• Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My name is Deseree and I am EBF my fifth kiddo who is now seven weeks old. I gained 33 pounds with this one and have lost 16 of that so far. My goal is to lose 44 pounds all together while breastfeeding. I'm not one to cut my calories because I know how important it is to maintain a healthy milk supply but I do work out and eat healthier. I'm always looking for new foods to add into my "diet" and support.

Hi Deseree. I'm Jenny, I joined MFP shortly after my youngest was born.
    I had the best success with both losing weight and keeping up my milk supply when I ate around 2000 calories a day total.
    MFP may say 1200, but you have to add 500 a day for breastfeeding...... it's actually 20 calories an ounce if you pump. It can be added as an exercise.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Hi Deseree, I am expecting my fifth in October, but also ebf my first four and intend doing it all again while trying to lose a few pounds this time. I expect I'll also have around 40lbs to lose in the New Year and I wish you good luck!
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi Deseree. I'm Jenny, I joined MFP shortly after my youngest was born.
    I had the best success with both losing weight and keeping up my milk supply when I ate around 2000 calories a day total.
    MFP may say 1200, but you have to add 500 a day for breastfeeding...... it's actually 20 calories an ounce if you pump. It can be added as an exercise.
    [/quote]

Hi Jenny. I am new here and wondering about how much calories to eat. You say you stuck around 2000 while EBF but did you also exercise as well? I am exercising about 5-6 days a week (walking about 5-7km a day and sometimes other exercises). I have a lot of weight to lose 80+ and my baby is 8 weeks old........HELP!!!
  • HannahBananaBrain
    HannahBananaBrain Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend! I just joined and it sounds like you and I are in the same boat! I'm breastfeeding my fourth baby and have 87 pounds to lose. I've never managed to lose weight while breastfeeding before and am hoping I can get things figured out this time!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Same here, another 35-40 to pre-pregnancy weight, another 50 to previous low, and roughly 70 to UGW ;) EBFing at 3+ months (14+ weeks), eating 2000, eating back any exercise calories (ha! As if he lets me put him down to exercise), and pumping 3-4 oz, 1-2x/week.
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm currently breastfeeding my 7 month old who is my second child. I only exclusively breastfed my first for a few weeks and was very determined to do it and stick with it this time around. I've lost 23lbs so far in 4 months (waited until my supply had established properly before changing my lifestyle) and I have another 30lbs at least to lose which Is coming off quite slowly. Does anyone have an idea of how long they're aiming to breastfeed for?
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hi! I'm currently breastfeeding my 7 month old who is my second child. I only exclusively breastfed my first for a few weeks and was very determined to do it and stick with it this time around. I've lost 23lbs so far in 4 months (waited until my supply had established properly before changing my lifestyle) and I have another 30lbs at least to lose which Is coming off quite slowly. Does anyone have an idea of how long they're aiming to breastfeed for?

I'd like to do a year (or until he weans). However if I can pump pump pump, I'd like to have a big enough stash that I could wean earlier! I know the weight will fall off much faster once I stop BFing, plus I would like to have a drink once in a while (I know I can now, but I'm paranoid, so for me it's easier not to partake).
  • kcasey155
    Options
    Hi touchafaith, I breastfed my four boys for between 17 and 21 months each and fully intend to be breastfeeding again until my daughter is at least eighteen months old.

If I can get down to 160lbs while breastfeeding over those 18 months I'll be more than happy, as I think this pregnancy I'll be about 210lbs by delivery. The last 10-20 pounds I've found does fall off about 8 weeks after baby stops feeding and I've got my body back, from past experience.

@RBXChas - FYI: In the UK it is not recommended that breastmilk is kept longer than 3 months. This is because the milk you produce changes as the baby grows and because of possible bacterial contamination if kept longer, I think.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hi touchafaith, I breastfed my four boys for between 17 and 21 months each and fully intend to be breastfeeding again until my daughter is at least eighteen months old.

If I can get down to 160lbs while breastfeeding over those 18 months I'll be more than happy, as I think this pregnancy I'll be about 210lbs by delivery. The last 10-20 pounds I've found does fall off about 8 weeks after baby stops feeding and I've got my body back, from past experience.

@RBXChas - FYI: In the UK it is not recommended that breastmilk is kept longer than 3 months. This is because the milk you produce changes as the baby grows and because of possible bacterial contamination if kept longer, I think.

I keep mine in a dedicated freezer that is rarely opened and kept very, very cold. I don't have very much pumped, and by the time I get to using it, my son likely won't be relying on breastmilk the way he does now. I'm probably looking at a month, tops, of stored milk, and at some point when he's eating solids I'd like him to drink breastmilk from a cup, which means I'll be pumping to make up the feeding (he can nurse the rest of the day). So if I am ever able to wean and feed frozen milk, it won't be for long and will be recent milk. LLL says 6 months is fine and 12 months is likely ok, though I understand what you mean about the composition changing.

http://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wanted to breastfeed until my daughter self weans too which I'm hoping would be before the 2 year mark. The only problem I'm having is a bit of backlash from family members at the moment. I've had a couple of comments from my brother saying my daughters to old to be breastfeeding now (7 months?!?) and its a bit weird for him. My mum's told me I should definitely switch her onto cows milk as soon as she turns a year old or I'll 'end up on one of those programmes breastfeeding an 8 year old'. Does anyone else come across such negativity? Luckily I have such a supportive partner who agrees we should let our daughter self wean whenever that may be. I'm hoping the weight comes off quicker when she does.
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi Deseree, I'm Sam! I have 2 kids DS 4 years and DD almost 12months. Feel free to add me too!

I intend on BF until baby O is at least 13 months. I have a feeling she will have a hard time parting with the tata's but i'm happy to keep it up as long as I have the supply to do it. I BF and FF (mostly BF)my son until 9 months and then stopped. I totally felt guilty when i did,so I made sure this time,I'd go as long as possible :) I gained 37 pounds this time around and have 3lbs until I hit my PP weight,YAY!

Then I have another 20 to go.:grumble:
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I wanted to breastfeed until my daughter self weans too which I'm hoping would be before the 2 year mark. The only problem I'm having is a bit of backlash from family members at the moment. I've had a couple of comments from my brother saying my daughters to old to be breastfeeding now (7 months?!?) and its a bit weird for him. My mum's told me I should definitely switch her onto cows milk as soon as she turns a year old or I'll 'end up on one of those programmes breastfeeding an 8 year old'. Does anyone else come across such negativity? Luckily I have such a supportive partner who agrees we should let our daughter self wean whenever that may be. I'm hoping the weight comes off quicker when she does.

It's pretty crazy when people give BF mothers flack for wanting to do the BEST thing for their baby. Mothers who FF their baby think they're the only one getting **** for their choice of food for their baby,but its not true...so do we! My friend straight said to me the other day she thinks I'm a freak for BF my daughter as long as I have (my daughter is almost 1yr). She doesn't have any kids of her own,so maybe thats why,but still? Our bodies are meant to feed our children! Sure,its your choice to do so or not but how can you deny that? Anyway,don't get me started..lol! I'm glad you have a supportive partner. My husband is pretty supportive but I think he's ready for baby to get off the boob too. And I get it....he wants it back. haha ;)
  • RBXChas
    Options

It's pretty crazy when people give BF mothers flack for wanting to do the BEST thing for their baby. Mothers who FF their baby think they're the only one getting **** for their choice of food for their baby,but its not true...so do we! My friend straight said to me the other day she thinks I'm a freak for BF my daughter as long as I have (my daughter is almost 1yr). She doesn't have any kids of her own,so maybe thats why,but still? Our bodies are meant to feed our children! Sure,its your choice to do so or not but how can you deny that? Anyway,don't get me started..lol! I'm glad you have a supportive partner. My husband is pretty supportive but I think he's ready for baby to get off the boob too. And I get it....he wants it back. haha ;)

If you BF too long, you're doing it wrong. If you don't BF long enough, you're doing it wrong. If you don't BF, you're doing it wrong. If you're feeding pumped milk, you're doing it wrong. Any mix of the above, you're doing it wrong.

I supplemented my older son (he was mostly FFed) until three months when I couldn't fight my supply issues any longer and moved him to formula. My 3-month-old son and I EBF. I've gotten *kitten* from people both times.

You just have to do what is right for you and your baby. The LC I saw the first time told me that as much breastmilk as my son gets is great and is better than nothing. If you can continue past when most people stop (and your child doesn't self-wean), you're not hurting them!

I just wish moms would be more supportive of each other's choices and that the rest of the world would stop caring about what's coming/not coming out of my boobs or what's in/what's not in my baby's bottle. I also read here about someone whose co-worker complained about how long it took her to pump. None of their business! (Set-up and clean-up is at least five minutes on it's own, so yeah...)

To the naysayers, ask them why they care so much, and they'll be hard-pressed to find a non-stupid answer.
  • kcasey155
    Options

I totally agree with Sam and have the same point of view. Why when you're feeding a child over six months/a year old from the breast do people get so odd about it? In the third world they often feed a child, as a supplement to it's often poor diet, until the age of four. The World Health Organisation recommends all mothers breastfeed their children until they are two. I, personally, have always let the child lead as when to stop, apart from my last son who would probably have gone on forever if I'd let him. You'll know the right time to stop - it's kinda when they stop asking so much and feeds have cut right down, so you know they're not going to miss it. And even when I stopped my last child myself after two weeks he'd forgotten all about his 'mummy-milk', so it was only breaking the habit. But you'll know the ideal time. You've done so well to feed as long as you have and your child will be benefitting from that.