Half-way through 5k training!

Options
dekutree
dekutree Posts: 65 Member
Hi everyone. Just a message to say hello! I'm totally hooked on the Zombies, Run! 5k training. About three years ago I was in a jogging club, and trained for a 5k race (took about 35 mins) - but since then I got completely out of shape and about three months ago was at my heaviest adult weight. With a combination of MFP and fitbit (and some good nutrition advice and supportive friends) I have lost about 38lb and plucked up the confidence to try jogging again. Zombies! has been a brilliant re-introduction. I'm on Week 4, so almost half way, and have managed to jog the whole of the free-form runs since week three.

I've even signed up for a night-time halloween 5k race, although the Zombies, Run! 5k training will finish a month before that. I guess then I can move on to the main app, but will certainly be asking for advice on the best way to maintain my fitness. I'm not really a sporty person at all and I'm a bit scared about what happens when the prescriptive training regime ends. Anyway, there's another month to go yet.... :-s

So yeah, hi! I'm a bit scared to look around this group too much for fear of spoilers, hehe...

Replies

• chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Keep it up!! I started with the 5k training back in February and I was SLOWWWW. Probably the slowest 5k ever at 54:04 lol. After I finished the program, I kept going on my own. I kinda struggled with what to do after that. I'm the type that needs a program IN WRITING to follow. I was running 5k 3 times a week and got my time up to around 45minutes after a month or 2. Then I saw there was a Biggest Loser run/walk event near me in October and was going to train for the 10k. Well BUMMER my area doesn't do the 10k, only the 5k and half-marathon. Well what fun is it training for an even you can already do?? So I got the bright idea to train for a half marathon LOL. I'm on week 8 out of week 15 and plugging along. I've ran 6 miles without stopping so far, and doing great. Every day I start Zombies Run app (I'm in Season 2 now), then I start Nike to track my mileage. You just need to decide what your ultimate goal is and go for it!
  • missmylin
    missmylin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great to meet you dekutree! I just finished Week 3 tonight, but I still can't run/jog for longer than a minute. Kudos to you for jogging the whole freeform :-) And the Halloween race sounds very cool!

Keep it up, and know that we're all here for you Runner 5!
  • dekutree
    Options
    Thanks both!

Chelle - sounds like you're doing amazingly! I've been combining Zombies with RunKeeper (they talk to each other, which is nice!) so if I want to go for a mini jog on a non-zombies day then it keeps track. Good luck with your half marathon training, that's incredible!

MissMylin - well done on finishing week three! You'll soon be able to run for longer and longer I'm sure. I think part of the reason I felt confident to push myself on the freeform runs is that I used to be in that jogging group with a trainer. She would always really push us and that has given me a sort of confidence that even though my body's like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME?" I can try and keep going anyway for a bit, ha ha. Because jogging is fundamentally masochistic, right?

PS. You're going to enjoy Week 4 - great plot episodes!
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Congratulations on week 4. It's such a great program. Last week was my first week on my own as I graduated the week before that. I have been a little hesitant to download the next phase but will do so as the storyline if great,

I was never a runner & I think the last time (before this program) that I ran a mile was in high school & maybe just like once. I was barely able to run 60 seconds @ the start of this program & now the furthest I have been able to run is 4 miles, but I know that will change & soon I will be running greater distances. I have a 5k mud/ obstacle course coming up in October, so want to make sure that I will not be the one lagging behind or holding back our team.

I absolutely love running, there are day that I'm like what were you thinking, but I would still rather have those days than no run days. What a great feeling it is to be able to run.

Welcome runner 5. Stay safe out there.
  • dekutree
    Options
    Welcome runner 5. Stay safe out there.

Thanks, asp!

Congratulations, sounds like you've done amazingly! Keep up the good work. It's so liberating to just be able to go outside and run, right? I mean, I do find I have to get through the initial barrier every time at the moment, before settling into a rhythm, but the programme has been really good at pushing me just the right amount.

Today I just did Week 5, Workout 1, and noticeably it's the first week which has more running than recovery - even in the intervals. And that definitely felt like a step up. But again, managed to run all the free runs and did just under 7km in total in the 52 minutes. And the story's really starting to hot up now also.

I'm totally buying myself a Runner 5 tshirt upon graduating from the 5k programme.

Keep up the amazing work, Runner 5s!!
  • KurtK1970
    KurtK1970 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Question for you folks who have done the ZR 5k app.
    I finished the 2nd week, but I know in my heart that I'm not ready to step it up to 5 minutes of running! My question is...on the 3rd week, does anyone remember if Dr. Meyers or anyone lets you know when ONE minute of running is completed? I would love to increase my running time to one minute, but I was hoping that there would be some sort of notification when the one minute is up.
    Thank you for any help!!! :)
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When you start week 3, She will tell you when 15 seconds, 30 seconds and 45 seconds and a 1 minute are up. So you'll be fine. It actually pushed me to run the hole minute. I am hitting week 4 tomorrow.
  • missmylin
    missmylin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Remember that the 5 minutes is a freeform run, so don't feel you have to run the whole time. And yes, she does count down during the run/walk drills as babyshme says. I redid Week 2 because I was scared to move on to Week 3, so that's another thing you can do if you feel you need to. I just started Week 4 yesterday and broke the 4 km mark.
  • KurtK1970
    Options
    Awesome!!!
    Thank you for the help! :)
  • dekutree
    Options
    Yeah, just run as much of the freeform runs as you are comfortable. I'm not sure if you get a minute warning during the five minutes, or if the first one comes at two minutes. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just do what feels right!

Today was Week 5, Session 2, and I managed to jog all the freeform sections, hitting 7km total for the whole 52min workout!! It was TOUGH though.
  • asp415
    Options
    Yeah, just run as much of the freeform runs as you are comfortable. I'm not sure if you get a minute warning during the five minutes, or if the first one comes at two minutes. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just do what feels right!

Today was Week 5, Session 2, and I managed to jog all the freeform sections, hitting 7km total for the whole 52min workout!! It was TOUGH though.

You are doing great! isn't it amazing how you can just now run the freefrom sections instead of having to stop and walk? I am still in awe evertime I go out and run now @ how far this program has taken us.
  • dekutree
    Options
    You are doing great! isn't it amazing how you can just now run the freefrom sections instead of having to stop and walk? I am still in awe evertime I go out and run now @ how far this program has taken us.

Yes! I'm so proud of myself for how far I've come in the last six weeks! I've really enjoyed this week (the runs are 1x10min and 3x7 min - short enough I feel I can push myself as I know there's a rest coming up...).

I did run a 5k once before, a few years ago, so I did know that I potentially have the capability. But I was so disheartened by how quickly I lost the fitness after I fell out of practice. You lose it a lot quicker than you build it up. So I went for a run after some weeks not going out, could barely go for 30 seconds, and felt really terrible with myself. Then I basically hung up my jogging clothes until six weeks ago. So yeah! The first couple weeks I just had to grit my teeth and just face that I was massively unfit/out of practice. But really, six weeks isn't so long.

So I'm really keen to try and keep the level of fitness up even after the C25k. I've no aspirations to be a marathon runner or anything - but I'd like to continue being able to jog for 30 mins, y'know? It's very liberating.

Anyway I'm rambling...... Hope you're all doing well, Runner 5s :)
  • KurtK1970
    Options
    It turns out that week 3 isn't *anywhere* near as bad as I thought it would be!!! I was actually able to run the one-minute intervals, so I am pretty much ecstatic!!! :D
  • dekutree
    Options
    It turns out that week 3 isn't *anywhere* near as bad as I thought it would be!!! I was actually able to run the one-minute intervals, so I am pretty much ecstatic!!! :D

Amazing, congratulations!! It's such an awesome feeling when you anticipate the worst and then nail it. Awesome.
  • KurtK1970
    Options
    Amazing, congratulations!! It's such an awesome feeling when you anticipate the worst and then nail it. Awesome.

Thanks, man! It seriously was a *great* feeling. :)
  • dekutree
    Options
    Just started Week 7! It looked easy on paper, until I realised the first three sections after the warm-up walk have no breaks inbetween, so it's basically a fifteen minute run with some skipping. Was pretty hard work!!
  • asp415
    Options
    Just started Week 7! It looked easy on paper, until I realised the first three sections after the warm-up walk have no breaks inbetween, so it's basically a fifteen minute run with some skipping. Was pretty hard work!!

Oh yeah the skipping :ohwell: Boy did it get my heart rate up. It was def. a hard week. Hang in there.
  • dekutree
    Options
    FINISHED! I did the final 51-min session and ran the whole thing, just over 7.5k without stopping(!!!!). I think it's a shame the final session doesn't use the GPS to make it an actual 5k. But excited to start the main app. I think I'll do the first mission on Thursday :D
  • KurtK1970
    Options
    FINISHED! I did the final 51-min session and ran the whole thing, just over 7.5k without stopping(!!!!). I think it's a shame the final session doesn't use the GPS to make it an actual 5k. But excited to start the main app. I think I'll do the first mission on Thursday :D

Great job, Deku!!! :D