Frustrated! Need advice

Options
LisaWeir74
LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
I have been doing crossfit workouts for the past 3 years but lately I have been packing on the pounds. I am frustrated.......what should I change? Workout or food?

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Well, what's changed? Are you working out more? Less? Eating more? Eating worse quality?
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Maybe try to switch it up a little bit. I love CF and am a CFer for life...but I actually saw more success in fat loss when I was doing my Zumba. The cardio really seems to be a quicker weight loss thing for me.

Having said that... My overall goal is not simply weight loss. It is fitness. In this regard, CF kicks any workouts @$$!

Last week I had 5 days of CF since I had been on vacay the week before. This week back to 3 days of CF. Since the little guy is back to school and I once again have a schedule... I added Zumba back in last night. Before I would stop myself at 2 hours of Zumba...b/c who has the time to do longer, seriously!... Last night I was whooped after 1 hour. Zumba completely wastes CF in the cardio department!

Looking forward to see some results in the fit of my clothes in a couple of weeks. CF/Zumba is gonna be my 1, 2 punch for workouts and Advocare Cleanse/Whole Life Challenge is gonna be my 1, 2 punch for food.

Come Nov 1, I betta be a supa stah!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have been doing crossfit workouts for the past 3 years but lately I have been packing on the pounds. I am frustrated.......what should I change? Workout or food?

Working out is part of the equation, but for me at least 70% of weight loss is what I'm eating.

Also, how are you doing the workouts? At home or in a box?

If at home I doubt you are doing them with the intensity that you would be in a box. You just don't push yourself as hard by yourself than you do with people watching/participating with you.

Might be worth checking out a few local gyms. It's not cheap but it's worth it. After all, you have to live in that body. MIght as well make sure it's in top condition.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Crossfitting for 4 years. Only gained weight consistently. I find that I lose when I get my diet in check and do a little extra cardio like 400m x 5 with a minute or two in between prior to the WOD. It's different for everyone though. Sometimes just a diet change is all that is needed. Sometimes a switch-up or additional workout is necessary. Sometimes it's both.

I like to look at http://www.endurancewod.com/blog for additional cardio so I keep up the variety that is so fundamental to crossfit.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    edited: double post
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, if I need to add more cardio, because most CF days is mainly weight training, not much running. There is a boot camp Mon and Wed which I do right after the regular class, but maybe I just need more cardio as well to aid with burning the fat. I will probably start doing that as well and give it a chance and see if I start seeing more results
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Barring any medical issues, the equation is simple...

If you eat at a deficit you should be losing weight. if you eat at a surplus then you will gain. So... you are most likely eating too many calories for your output. There's the off chance that you are not eating enough and your metabolism is shutting down. You gotta feed the machine.

Keep in mind also that CrossFit will transform your body comp so honestly, if your clothes aren't getting tighter in the wrong places I wouldn't sweat the scale.