Fitting in a Workout

Options
JennergyKC
JennergyKC Posts: 254 Member
Hey! I'm in residency, So I've started waking up at 4-4:30 (depending on the rotation) to run or do strength training (mostly kettle bell). How do you guys fit in regular work outs? How much sleep are you getting?

Replies

• lillilanda
    lillilanda Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am not much help! I have not exercised any more than short strolls since the second year of med school. Not surprising I weighed far less then! During residency there was a set of hand weights in the call rooms... I never used them although I know many did, along with floor calisthenics - lunges, crunches, bridges, yoga. I am still trying to figure out how to re-incorporate exercise. I used to enjoy it but somehow I don't anymore, even when I can force myself to do it,
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, it gets worse when you are an attending (unless you go into derm). Then add children....

The bottom line is, you have to MAKE the time. For me, that is getting up at 5AM before the day can interfere. During weeks when I am in the office, I can squeeze in lunchtime runs (assuming my patients don't make me late).
  • JennergyKC
    JennergyKC Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I've been doing 30min exercise videos and I've tried spinning, which is a pretty good workout. Now I do them when I get home... Sometimes I'm still tried but it's better than getting up soooooo early.
  • Lovenestwesr
    Options
    I agree that the morning is the best time to work out. I'm lucky to have a treadmill at home, and I try to fit in some intervals on that.