How did the first day go?

Options
How was the first day or no added sugar? What were your challenges-- and how did you overcome them?

I really think the first few days are going to be the hardest. I am sure it is going to get easier after this!

My challenges: baking cupcakes and not eating them, going to whole foods and not getting so delicious ice cream or chocolate, and discovering my favorite almond butter has added sugar. Aahhhh! Made it through them all somehow,...

Replies

• bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My first day went well! I satisfied my sweet tooth with fruit and with a bit of pure maple syrup - I plan to keep eating things like maple syrup and honey, because for me I'm already pretty happy with my overall sugar intake, it's just that I want to make sure I'm consuming only natural sugars.

My biggest challenge is that this also happens to be the first day of my period (sorry fellas!) and I would LOVE to hook myself up to a chocolate IV right about now. But I'll resist the temptation!
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My day went great as far as no added sugars. I don't think that it will be very difficult for me.

The thing that I am finding challenging is keeping my natural sugar intake down.

I love fruit. One mango threw me over today.

Today wasn't my healthiest day ... I don't pay a lot of attention on the weekends to eating balanced meals like I do during the week.

So when I get back into "the swing" of things. It's going to be interesting to try and have an acceptable sugar intake with my smoothies :-)
  • Sara13CH
    Sara13CH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Today went okay. I started reading some of the food labels and I found out that my bread has honey and dried cane sugar in it and the creamer I have been using has corn syrup( yuk). I have some things I am going to finish up, but I am not going to buy any more of them with the added sugars. I think this might take longer than a month. lol. Its a start to a new way of eating.

I noticed at night I crave sugar. I am gonna try drinking tea.
  • fishnr2
    fishnr2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yesterday went really well. I planned all the meals in advance so didn't have any trouble avoiding sugar. Done some shopping as well. I'm prepared. Today's lunch is a leftover from yesterday. All good so far. But yesterday was the rest day as i do insanity workout. Probably it will get tougher during the week. Need to stock in bananas.
    fingers crossed and good luck to you all
  • darla499
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone for your strides in going sugar free!

Remember, be patient with yourself ... this is a whole new way of life.
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow great job everyone! The TOM and the night time cravings are something I struggle with as well. If I come up with any solution for that I will be sure to post it....I also had to skip the creamer in my coffee which I missed less than I though I would!

Incredible all the places that sugar shows up...like in bread! Happy Labor Day everyone and let's keep up this amazing work. I am looking forward to hearing if anyone notices a difference (or differences) over time with no added sugar in the diet...
  • RedVelvette
    RedVelvette Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What I find challenging is trying to figure out what counts or doesn't count as sugar. I went grocery shopping yesterday and did pick up sugar-free coffee creamer, and sugar free strawberry preserves (I usually get the light/low sugar). But I am still confused about things like bread and tortillas that contains sugars, but it's not like a sweet treat. I think for me, at least to start, I will just stay away from candy, chocolate, desserts (except for fruit), pastries, and obviously sugary treats....
  • darla499
    Options
    What I find challenging is trying to figure out what counts or doesn't count as sugar. I went grocery shopping yesterday and did pick up sugar-free coffee creamer, and sugar free strawberry preserves (I usually get the light/low sugar). But I am still confused about things like bread and tortillas that contains sugars, but it's not like a sweet treat. I think for me, at least to start, I will just stay away from candy, chocolate, desserts (except for fruit), pastries, and obviously sugary treats....

I think that's what the challenge is all about. Start where you are.

Any healthy change is progress :-)