No Added Sugar and Still Over on Sugar Content

Options
darla499
darla499 Posts: 402 Member
I had absolutely no added sugar today and I'm still 36 over on sugar today!

I'm not going to sweat it though because it was the mango that sent it over.

As a vegan it's really hard to not go over on sugar on a daily basis simply because of the additional fruit we eat.

Anybody else find this in your daily plan? Have you adjusted your sugar limits in your settings? If so, what do you set it at?

Thanks.

Replies

• moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi Darla---

I consistently have the same problem, the only reason I did a bit better today was because I only had a 1/2 cup of mango (not much fruit at all!) I just looked at you diary and the only sugar source you had was fruit. Even with no added sugars I would say aiming for sugars to be in the 30-50 gram range (depending on the amount of fruit you eat) is totally normal! Hope this helps :)
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have had my sugars manually set to 50g for a while now and that works pretty well for me. Sometimes I'm over, and sometimes I'm under but 50 is pretty standard for me. I figure as long as most of it comes from fruit and maybe a bit of other natural sweeteners I'm not too concerned about it. Don't sweat it!
  • darla499
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I think I'm going to adjust my sugar to 50. I love a banana at least during the day. I love smoothies.

It looks like I'm going to be getting a bit more creative with the eating to satisfy that need.
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Since mfp I have been replacing fruits with veggies/ have been very careful with fruit portions and replaced milk with unsweetened almond milk bc my sugar was consistantly triple or more what it should have been. Also got rid of pasta, mashed potatoes, and rice for spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, and cauliflower mash. Sugar levels now within range.
  • darla499
    Options
    Since mfp I have been replacing fruits with veggies/ have been very careful with fruit portions and replaced milk with unsweetened almond milk bc my sugar was consistantly triple or more what it should have been. Also got rid of pasta, mashed potatoes, and rice for spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, and cauliflower mash. Sugar levels now within range.

Thanks. I'm still in that early stage ... I've just replaced all the "unnatural" and mainly processed foods with unprocessed and healthier versions of foods. Adding fruit was progress for me and it worked for a long time.

Now begins the real work of replacing fruits with more veggies. I love the constant evolving :smile:
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, I LOVE the idea of constantly evolving....and replacing processed foods with more vegetables! What wonderful inspiration!
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's only been a few days since I started this new fine tuning in my diet but i'm already seeing benefits: my muscle definition is more visible (the muscle was always there, is that the fat is slowly starting to melt away). in addition my skin is improving, moods less erratic, and I have more energy. Best of luck!! Let me know if I can help in any way! Here's a tip: I get a lot of recipe ideas from skinnytaste.com just look for low sugar options or substitute her pastas rice etc with the veggie options I listed above. Her recipes are delicious healthy and as an added bonus they are already in the mfp database! :)
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Even when I'm really careful about sugar, I still go over because of fruit but I choose not to sweat that. My problem today is that I completely forgot that I was going a no-sugar challenge and that it was already September and ate a piece of leftover birthday cake... oops! At least I figured it out now and not a week from now!
  • darla499
    Options
    It's only been a few days since I started this new fine tuning in my diet but i'm already seeing benefits: my muscle definition is more visible (the muscle was always there, is that the fat is slowly starting to melt away). in addition my skin is improving, moods less erratic, and I have more energy. Best of luck!! Let me know if I can help in any way! Here's a tip: I get a lot of recipe ideas from skinnytaste.com just look for low sugar options or substitute her pastas rice etc with the veggie options I listed above. Her recipes are delicious healthy and as an added bonus they are already in the mfp database! :)

Thanks! I'm going to check out that site. Love recipes!!!!
  • darla499
    Options
    Even when I'm really careful about sugar, I still go over because of fruit but I choose not to sweat that. My problem today is that I completely forgot that I was going a no-sugar challenge and that it was already September and ate a piece of leftover birthday cake... oops! At least I figured it out now and not a week from now!

Oh well. Tomorrow's a new day :-)

Yeah, I set my sugar back to the default of 36. If I go over, I go over. I'm not going to sweat it. I'm going to be happy with all the healthy changes I've made thus far and later, when I'm ready ... that can be addressed if I feel it a need.

At one point in my life I was a fruitarian. So ... love my fruit!!!!