Running to eat?

Options
GiddyupTim
GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
Okay, this is probably not the place to post this question. But, here goes anyway:
Today I saw someone wearing one of those t-shirts that say: 'I pant and sweat so I can drink wine.' Or, something to that effect.
I have also seen they say: 'so I can eat ice cream.'
I get that these shirts are a joke. But, usually jokes have an element of truth. So, my question is this: Is that true for anyone?
I like eating when I am really hungry after running long and/or exercising hard.
But I exercise because I like being outside, because it feels good to breathe hard and reach the top of a hill, because it is exhilarating to strike a ball well, because I like feeling strong, like if I could get over a mountain if there was an emergency, or carry a family member to the hospital, even if the hospital was miles away.
But, so I can eat a lot? No.
I like to cook, and am pretty good at it, and I love good food.
But that really has very little to do with why I exercise.
Thanks

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't explicitly bargain with myself about going X distance so I can have Y, but if I think I went a little over on calories I will be more diligent about getting the miles in afterward. I may sometimes justify a rich dessert because I know I will be running the next morning. But I just finished losing over 50 pounds and that forced me to think about everything I ate; I had to stay under an amount set by subtraction from what I burned. So at times I was faced with choosing to either go over the limit (really bad idea; slippery slope), deny myself something or increase the burn.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Actually when I started running, it sort of had the opposite effect. Once I saw how many calories I really burn while running using my HRM, I realized that a mile (for me) is only about 70 calories. So even if I run 4 miles, I've only given myself enough calories for like an extra pancake. LOL. That was such a let down!

However, I also do eat more carefully now to make sure I recover from runs and things right. I also am more aware of how foods affect me, either pre or post-run. It's funny. People always say "But you're a runner, you can eat whatever you want!" and I think "God, if only that were true!"
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Actually when I started running, it sort of had the opposite effect. Once I saw how many calories I really burn while running using my HRM, I realized that a mile (for me) is only about 70 calories. So even if I run 4 miles, I've only given myself enough calories for like an extra pancake. LOL. That was such a let down!

However, I also do eat more carefully now to make sure I recover from runs and things right. I also am more aware of how foods affect me, either pre or post-run. It's funny. People always say "But you're a runner, you can eat whatever you want!" and I think "God, if only that were true!"

Yeah, what she said. Since friends have found out that I've been running quite a bit (training for my second 50 miler) they can't understand why I have to (still) pay attention to what I eat. At 70-72 cal/mile (70 for long runs which are slower/lower HR) it takes me 50 miles to burn one pound (3500 calories.) It's a good thing I run because I enjoy it- rather than run specifically to lose weight!
  • WebbyShoo
    Options
    Everything I do, I do it because I love it. When people say "when does running get fun?" I shake my head. Life is too damn short to be doing something you don't really enjoy just to be thin. I love pushing myself, not punishing myself. I want to be strong, fast and healthy, I love me a race PR, but my long term health comes first, which includes my psychological health. I'm teaching my kids how to live an athletic lifestyle, not a disordered lifestyle. Running is also a terrible way to go about having a better body composition, if you want to burn more calories in a short amount of time in comparison to other activities, sure it does that, but if in deficits you lose plenty of lean mass with it. Running should be done for the psychological rewards not food rewards. In fact nothing should be rewarded with food, food is fuel and a need, not a "earned" benefit from any source of exercise....
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do you mean something like this? http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
    haha

I also get the "lucky you, you don't have to worry about what you eat!" every once in a while; but that's not why I run. I run because I enjoy it, because I like to challenge myself and this is one hell of a way to do it. Running is part of a healthier lifestyle for me, it's not what might allow me to eat more calories through the day because I went for a run in the morning.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, it was for fitness, exercise. Then I got addicted to it & I love it. I used to think, "I'm running to lose weight" now it's become "I need to lose weight so I can be a better runner." Like others have said, I'm more conscience of what I'm eating while training for a race. I can't run well with loads of sugar in my system. People tell me all the time that I can afford to eat all I want. Uh, no
  • 55in13
    Options
    I don't explicitly bargain with myself about going X distance so I can have Y, but if I think I went a little over on calories I will be more diligent about getting the miles in afterward. I may sometimes justify a rich dessert because I know I will be running the next morning. But I just finished losing over 50 pounds and that forced me to think about everything I ate; I had to stay under an amount set by subtraction from what I burned. So at times I was faced with choosing to either go over the limit (really bad idea; slippery slope), deny myself something or increase the burn.
    Too late to edit to add that I do enjoy running and I do enjoy the general benefits of good health. I don't just run for the burn. But there is something else to consider; even if you don't exercise for the burn, you still enjoy that benefit implicitly. If you don't have problems with your weight and enjoy good food, you can allow yourself to indulge a little more than someone who doesn't exercise without gaining weight. If you aren't eating to offset the exercise then you will lose weight.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, it was for fitness, exercise. Then I got addicted to it & I love it. I used to think, "I'm running to lose weight" now it's become "I need to lose weight so I can be a better runner." Like others have said, I'm more conscience of what I'm eating while training for a race. I can't run well with loads of sugar in my system. People tell me all the time that I can afford to eat all I want. Uh, no

I agree with this. I started doing it for the calorie burn and so I could eat more while trying to lose weight. Now I just want to get smaller to run faster. However I do love being able to enjoy a good meal with a guilt free conscience because I earned it. But the main reason I run is because it makes me feel alive and amazing. Isn't that what keeps us getting out there day after day?
  • 55in13
    Options
    Some of the posts remind me that I should share a word of warning to those who do run for the burn. When I started, I was 55 pounds heavier, out of shape and had a poor stride. I burned substantially more calories per mile than I do now. So if you do it for the burn and are losing weight, don't forget to make adjustments to the formula.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I love to work out mainly because of the adrenaline rush and where others may find a task difficult itll be moderate for me. Also, it keeps me alert throughout the day and I do not feel sluggish. However, I also love to eat. But the love of exercise is greater than the love of food. I do not consume food that will prevent me from exercising the following day (such as alcholic beverages or cigarettes). I try to get adequate sleep too. I probably would wear a shirt that says, "I run to eat and eat to run"... since both goes hand in hand. You need to fuel your body to get the best out of it.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Can't deny it the thought crosses my mind. Yesterday around mile 5 I was thinking about a DQ small cone swirl and how many calories it was and how many I had burned already and how DQ was on my home anyway. But luckily or by good habits by the time my run was finished I decided on a total lean shake for half the calories and twice the protein which was better for muscle refueling.
    I very slowly over the last few years have become a runner and it has aided weight loss so on the occasions that I do endulge running bales me out, but the need to continue to lose weight and become a leaner faster runner prevails.
  • WebbyShoo
    Options
    I love to work out mainly because of the adrenaline rush and where others may find a task difficult itll be moderate for me. Also, it keeps me alert throughout the day and I do not feel sluggish. However, I also love to eat. But the love of exercise is greater than the love of food. I do not consume food that will prevent me from exercising the following day (such as alcholic beverages or cigarettes). I try to get adequate sleep too. I probably would wear a shirt that says, "I run to eat and eat to run"... since both goes hand in hand. You need to fuel your body to get the best out of it.

So very true. I love fitness more than I love food and anything I can get better at, I'll do it, just for the sheer enjoyment of challenging myself. I get away with not having to strictly log my food and eating more because I'm such a busy body. I can't sit still for long periods of time, fitness related stuff keeps me from getting antsy and irritable. I don't do TV aside from the nightly news, or gaming anymore, which leaves me lots of hours in my day outside of chores/family stuff... which leads me to really enjoying and investing time in my food prep, I love to cook, so I am a foodie of sorts, but I tend to not make recipes that'll lead to guilt and having to "burn it off".

I used to lift more, run less and be more muscular in years past, and I got to eat lots, now I'm running more, lifting less and still get to eat lots, it'd be lying if I said I'm not frightened of an injury or accident that would sideline me and not allow me to be in this happy place I am right now. :)
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, it was for fitness, exercise. Then I got addicted to it & I love it. I used to think, "I'm running to lose weight" now it's become "I need to lose weight so I can be a better runner."

same here.I start running after fast walking was boring. I challenge myself " what if you can run. Let's try". Ayear ago, I joined a running club to help me with motivation and losing weight. But now in the last 2 months, something changed: i want to lose weight to look good (of course) but I REALLY want be able to run better and LONGER. I am finding saying to myself what it will be like when you will be 20 pounds lighter.

But running gives me too the opportunity to eat more. Although i find often now days where i am just not as hungry as before and just eat to fuel my body. That is new for me. "eating because you have to, not because you want (crave) to!".

sorry. English not my first language and i can't not seem to write correctly what i want to say.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Last October I started running, shuffling, to help lose weight. As I have progressed the emphasis has changed and I now run, because I can! However I do enjoy having 2 breakfasts on running days, one before I set off and one when I return. I have read that you should always eat to replenish your reserves as soon as you can after you finish your run, so I do.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I did it because I thought it would help me lose weight. I gained 77lbs with pregnancy and never lost all the weight. My daughter is almost 4. Anyway I was running 5k 4 times a week and didn't lose anything. I figured that running doesn't help lose weight, running doesn't allow me to have treats, but I liked it anyway and kept doing it and increased my mileage to 20+ a week. In 6 months, I lost 17 lbs. I'm no longer trying to lose weight, but have increased my running again to the 25-30 miles a week.

So I do have to eat a little more to handle the calories but if I do this by having a cupcake instead of a handful of nuts, I'm just going to be hungry later and eat the nuts too. I'm not compley careful of what I eat, but mindful of it. I don't run to eat, I run for my health and well being. Running takes care of my stress problems.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I run for many reasons. I like to eat and I like to drink beer, period. Running allows me to indulge every now and again and still maintain my weight. I've found that when I get to the top end of my maintenance weight range, it's usually because the beer and wine drinking are a bit more than the running burns. If I cut the alcohol out for a bit, the extra poundage usually comes off...as long as I keep running :-)

And I'd be totally lying if I said that I never think "one more mile and I can have another 4 oz of beer!"
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I run because I enjoy it. Being able to eat more (I can maintain my ideal weight while consuming over 3,000 calories a day) is an unintended benefit.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sometimes...when I do long training runs, I typically burn over 1000 calories on a saturday. I don't go buy a tub of Ben & Jerry's but I am able to eat a lot more leisurely that day, maybe a homemade pizza or going to get some frozen yogurt. So yes, people use exercise and running as a way to give a reason to eat more that day.
  • 55in13
    Options
    I replied to this earlier, but yet another thought occurred to me. I was at my current weight for decades until I started gaining slowly in my 40s. I have now lost back to where I was. If I were to eat like I did when I put the weight on now, I might lose weight. It would probably be close to even at worst. I am eating differently - more good stuff and less junk - so it isn't apples to apples (or to use a better "old me" example, fried apple pies). Interesting to think about though...