HELP!! I am an emotional eater

Options
1pinktress
1pinktress Posts: 3 Member
I wasnt always sure why I gained the weight, however now that I have decided to take this journey to a new level, I have discovered I am an emotional eater. Yesterday I went there. I was very upset over something I couldn't control, and none the less, caved in to my weakness.

PLEASE know I am serious about changing my ways...I want to stop this trend and I need HELP. Is there anyone out here that deals with this issue and has other alternatives? I of course could exercise, however at the time, I happen to be driving, and drove myself straight to the drive through. Your help and thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I used to be an emotional eater also, but for me I just had to go cold turkey, do other things, like listen to music or take out my stress/frustration in my workout. At the end of a Turbo Fire workout Chalene Johnson says something to the fact that a good workout makes you forget about whatever was upsetting you before you started. Sometimes when I leave work, I crank up the music in my car and sing at the top of my lungs, don't care who sees or hears me, by the time I get home I do feel better, fortunately is a short commute. You just have to find different ways to deal with frustrations.

Also, know this will not happen overnight and if you do "cave", don't get too down on yourself, just know you will have to try harder next time.

Good luck!!!
  • MotherMadamTransformed
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater and now my blood pressure suffers because of it... As a single, working mother, it is so easy to find ANY excuse for emotional eating... One day short in pay period, car overheating, field trip money due for my daughter, new school supply list for my son, baby daddy lost his job so no more child support smh!!! All these things have been EXCUSES, excuses for my broken spirit, my lack of motivation, MY LACK OF FAITH!!! BUT NO MORE, no more will they hold me bound... No more will they interfere with me being the best I can be!!! My kids deserve a proud mother, a strong mother and that's exactly what they're going to get!!!
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating is a coping mechanism, similar to addicts turning to drugs and alcohol. To avoid overeating, you have to change how you cope with stress. Try talking to a friend about it or going for a walk or writing in a journal. When I get pissed, I turn on a kickboxing workout and go at it. Then there are other times, I just go to sleep. I don't advise that but hey, whatever works.
  • 1pinktress
    1pinktress Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies for your feedback. I agree, its just time for me to change my mind on how I use and see food. I have been doing a lot better since then, especially now that I recognize it. Thanks for your support.:flowerforyou:
  • cherryqb
    cherryqb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am too! When I'm sad I eat, when I'm mad I eat, when I'm happy I eat! This is a very big problem for me! But I'm learning that taking a walk run or doing some kind of physical activity helps a lot! That way it takes my mind off food and I make better choices! It don't work all the time but my progress has gotten better!