Newbie to Group and PCOS

Options
I am new to the group and new to PCOS. I was just recently (last week) diagnosed with PCOS and it would just be nice to learn more about it and how to manage and treat it from people who manage and deal with this day to day. It is scary just because I don't know much about it and someday I do hope to have children of my own. Would love to gain any tips about eating and just overall living with and managing.

-Christina Jo

Replies

• gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi...it seems like this thread is a little dormant at the moment, but sometimes it's livelier than others.

If you're new to PCOS, I think the best place to begin is with educating yourself as much as you can. One really good resource is: http://www.soulcysters.com/ but there are other good sites, and several good books on Amazon or maybe at your local library. Do lots of research! PCOS can be related to all kinds of weird things. For me, I found that my dry-eye, my severe vitamin D deficiency, and my cavity-prone teeth were all related to PCOS.

Also, PCOS exacerbates weight gain, and weigh gain exacerbates PCOS...it's a cycle. So do what you can to stay on top of nutrition and fitness. Look to a diet that is high in protein and low in processed carbs...similar to the dietary guidelines for a diabetic. A nutritionist or dietician can help.

If you feel like your doctor isn't as on-top of this as you'd like him/her to be, or won't take the time to answer your questions, an endocrinologist is probably a good next step. You may want to ask whether Metfomin or Spironolactone are appropriate options for you.

For overweight women with PCOS, 10% is supposed to be magical. No matter where you start, losing 10% of your weight loss is said to be key for reducing symptoms of PCOS and restoring a somewhat normal cycle. It's not true for everybody, but it was true for me.

Also, my sister, who also has PCOS, has too lovely children. She needed a little help to get pregnant the first time (fertility treatments), but not the second. The point just being: take really good care of yourself, and pregnancy may be perfectly well within reach.

I think that's all I've got for some of the very very basics. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you!
  • srslycolette
    srslycolette Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I, too, am super new to the group.
    I have been doing blood tests since June (which is always a horrible 2-3 day event just to get enough blood out of my tiny veins for testing) and in July I was sent to an endocrinologist to confirm my practitioners results. More blood work, and an evaluation with the nurse says they're 99% sure its PCOS. (The Endo Dr himself is very hard to get an appointment with, so I won't see him until October)
    Anyway, I was on this site for roughly 2 years, and had only lost 20 pounds, though feeling awesome. I had stalled, and I was really committed to my fitness at the time. Basically, the nurse explained it to me that my body doesn't process carbs correctly, and stores everything as fat. Very Frustrating! All of this new information and just other stressful life things has really derailed me so I've gained most of that 20 back. But now, I;m feeling more motivated than ever.
    So hey, I guess my point in all that ramble is that I'm here for you, to be a newbie with you, and feel free to add me if you need. (:
  • ceejaysanchez
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response! I really appreciate it.
  • ceejaysanchez
    Options
    I, too, am super new to the group.
    I have been doing blood tests since June (which is always a horrible 2-3 day event just to get enough blood out of my tiny veins for testing) and in July I was sent to an endocrinologist to confirm my practitioners results. More blood work, and an evaluation with the nurse says they're 99% sure its PCOS. (The Endo Dr himself is very hard to get an appointment with, so I won't see him until October)
    Anyway, I was on this site for roughly 2 years, and had only lost 20 pounds, though feeling awesome. I had stalled, and I was really committed to my fitness at the time. Basically, the nurse explained it to me that my body doesn't process carbs correctly, and stores everything as fat. Very Frustrating! All of this new information and just other stressful life things has really derailed me so I've gained most of that 20 back. But now, I;m feeling more motivated than ever.
    So hey, I guess my point in all that ramble is that I'm here for you, to be a newbie with you, and feel free to add me if you need. (:

I will definitely add you. I haven't been on like I had planned. But I will definitely add you. Good luck with getting in to see a Endocrinologist. I will go in one the 13th to finally discuss the results of my blood work but he said he was very certain it was PCOS. So hopefully everything will work out and we can get a game plan for getting back on track.
  • caljo06
    Options
    I'm new to the group and PCOS as well. I've been scouring the web lately for resources and information about my condition. Soulcysters is definitely an amazing resource, group, and support. I highly recommend it.