Puree diet- Can't keep any food down

Options
Help! I can't keep any of the puree food down. I can only down keep applesauce. Everything else makes me sick. Any tips or advice?

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi Siani, Sorry you are having problems. It is a bit hard to tell what "everything" else is since your diary is closed.

What have you tried? I did pretty well with broth based soups, as long as I didn't look at them while eating. The visual was awful, but the taste was the same as I remembered for the soup.

I know during the time my wife and I were on pureed, we still did protein shakes two meals a day. I assume you have had no problem with the shakes?

What were some of your favorite vegetables? Can you boil them down and puree with some beef or chicken stock for flavor?

Have you talked with your surgeon or nurse (or nutritionist) about this? I would urge you to start there if you can.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am considering being sleeved so I follow these threads to learn from others. Could baby food help in a situation like this? Good luck to you! I hope you feel better soon.
  • Gwynhyffar
    Gwynhyffar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You may not be ready to move to puree. Are you able to keep liquids down? Do you notice a difference in cold vs warm? Are you eating very slowly?

Immediately after surgery, your stomach is very swollen and needs time to heal. It typically takes about six weeks, but the stages of recovery differ for everyone. I would recommend noting quantities and types of food. You say you can eat applesauce. Maybe you can only eat/drink cold things? It might be best to see your doctor, but also examine how, what, and how fast you're eating because that will make a big difference.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey there :) I also had a really tough time with the puree stage, so I skipped it! I just stuck to liquids for a longer period of time and then slowly transitioned to regular food. You may just not be ready for it yet. I know the liquid stage is frustrating, but don't push it! Learn to listen to your body now, and you'll prevent mishaps in the future. I think I did the right thing by waiting, for one thing I never once threw up after surgery and still have not to this day (nearly two years out).

Good luck!! And just focus one day at a time :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had to make sure my pureed food had a lot of liquid to it. If not, it was too dense and my sleeve rejected it. I also found no real meat. Ground meat well cooked with lots of broth so it was almost drinkable worked best. I agree with the others though, you need to talk to someone in your surgeon's office and make sure you are following their plan. Portion is a huge issue at your stage as well. With my sleeve if I overeat even one bite, that one bite will come back up. I won't lose the whole meal, but I will be sick and I am 2 years out. Good luck and remember to take baby steps. This is a lifelong change, no need to rush. :wink: