Help hair is falling out

Options
Soo I no to expect hair loss but omg sooooooo much! My question is what's the better way to do my hair? Is it worse to pull it back in a bun or to leave it down? What's gonna make me lose more hair?

Replies

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Hi Jayna,

I don't know what hairstyle helps with hair loss. But is it possible you could reduce the loss by eating more protein and/or vitamins? I apologize if I'm out-of-place, because I don't know what you do know; and you may do all this already.

I am a newbie (sleeved 06/10/12) and don't have that problem yet. So I confess that I don't know if my hair's okay because I'm new to this; or because of high protein and vitamin levels.

All I know is that my health is better now than pre-op. 60-80 gm protein, a double-dose of multl-vitamins & 3ea Citrical Max w/D3 per day - and my hair is fine and my nails are stronger than I can ever remember.

Paula
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is a difficult one as it varies from person to person. I had my naturally thick hair cut quite short before my op as I knew this would happen. The act of having the op is what makes the hair fall out. For about two weeks you will be averaging 2/300 calories a day which is what makes your body hold onto nutrients and basically an amount of hair dies and falls out over time. I was very worried and I noticed thinning spots but no-one else did. My hair is now back to normal and is as thick as it was before. Just get as many vitamins in as you need. Biotin or silica may not help but will not harm. You will see it and worry about it far more than anyone else will!
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Jennie Lou,

That's really good to know. Thanks.

By the way, my "newbie" sleeve was 06/10/13 (not 2012).]

Paula
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people who have needed wigs and have continued to lose hair after the year mark but that is rare. It's funny but even then they say they would still have the op again in a heart beat. I am over a year out now, nearly 11 stone gone and I just spent a week on holiday ate some naughty food, walked miles along the beach to counteract it and still lost a pound. I never thought I could feel this healthy and its only now I realise how unhealthy or in fact ill I was. I did stress over my hair as I did seem to lose a lot but now looking back it seems silly as it wasn't really that big a problem in the scheme of things.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Mine really thinned 3 months after surgery after I went on vacation and wasn't paying attention to my protein levels for a couple of weeks. I kept forgetting to eat and was eating way below calorie needs and way, way below protein goals. I was told to start taking biotin or a product called "hair, skin and nails". It helped a lot. It stopped falling out and I do see some new growth.

Anyway as for style, even if your hair is healthy and not falling out, consistently pulling it back causes stress at the root and will cause hair loss because of that. Add the surgery and sevely restricted calories, and it's twice the issue. So wear it loose as much as you can, get all your protein (minimally, more if you can) and take one of the products I mentioned or ask your Dr. what you can take for it.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Its VERY common and does vary from person to person I was told protein and vitamins and biotin is the magic supplement thats supposed to help with the regrowth. Its typical for it to begin from about 4 months and continue for 3-6 months. Mine started around that time and I'm about a year out and its now growing back. I opted not to take biotin though I have heard its good. But I will also admit I'm not great with my proteins of my vitamins. There was a time I was but as of late I've been bad, even my eating has been poopy :tongue: Anyhow the best way to deal with it is to cut it perhaps shorter and learn to deal with it. IMO its a temporary thing and (I hope) goes back to normal lol and a small price to pay given all the good that I've experienced (like excess skin haha) I keep cutting my hair cuz I cant stand it, its now super short and I hate it, but you cant see the side effects of limp, lack luster hair as bad :laugh:
  • JaynaErickson
    JaynaErickson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks a so much ladies! I was leaved April fools day of this year. I'm down 70lbs and 30more to my goal! I'm super excited. I no I shouldn't worrie so much about my hair. I'm cutting it short tomorrow. I've pretty much always had it long... Anyways I'm at 60grams protein a day and I take 2 flinstones vitamins. Calcium. B12 and biotin. Would it hurt to up the multi and biotin? Hmmmm. I have a support meeting we'd. Hoping the nurse can help me,
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks a so much ladies! I was leaved April fools day of this year. I'm down 70lbs and 30more to my goal! I'm super excited. I no I shouldn't worrie so much about my hair. I'm cutting it short tomorrow. I've pretty much always had it long... Anyways I'm at 60grams protein a day and I take 2 flinstones vitamins. Calcium. B12 and biotin. Would it hurt to up the multi and biotin? Hmmmm. I have a support meeting we'd. Hoping the nurse can help me,

I JUST had my 6 month post-op appt today and my hair has been falling out for the past 5 or 6 weeks. Not horribly, but still - makes me nervous! ANyway, my surgeon said it's jsut from the stress of surgery. Not everyone experiences it, but for those who do it starts anywhere from 4-5 months out and can last a few months. It'll slow down and eventually grow back, so not to worry! I'm thinking of getting a different style myself. Maybe not super short, but shorter! And I'll highlight it - that makes it fuller!
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 weeks out and have been loosing hair for a couple of weeks. Got a cut and color last week and my hairdresser was like "wow", your hair is really thin and the towel was covered in hair. I wake up to clumps in the bed. It's depressing!! Went to GNC today and purchased a hair, skin and nails formula with 6000 units of biotin. Hoping I helps or I'll have pixie cut soon :-)

Good luck to you!!
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Reading this stream must have really left an impression with me, because I had several dreams about it one night. I don't remember what they were about; just that losing hair played a big part in them.

When I woke up the next morning, my first thought was, "Oh no, my hair...!" At that moment, it felt so real! LOL!
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The hair, skin and nails supplement I got from GNC has REALLY helped. Hair loss is noticeably reduced!
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    The hair, skin and nails supplement I got from GNC has REALLY helped. Hair loss is noticeably reduced!

Can you email me and share the names & brands?
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    i was sleeved on june 11, 2013 and last week i noticed that i was losing a lot of hair. but my hair is so super thick and curly i could lose half of it and still have as much hair as most people. so i'm not too worried about it, but maybe i'll try that biotin to strengthen it and my nails which are very thin and weak. thanks for the info everyone.
  • dbelardo
    Options
    I am genetically inclined to thinning hair and it started 28 years ago with the birth of my daughter *lol*. Now I have a few "bald spots" so my plan of action is to juice and use the nutribullet so I will get plenty of vitamins. I will be using alot of swiss chard!!! For those trouble spots I use xfusion hair fibers...no one can tell I have "sprinkle hair" (its least expensive on amazon).
  • huligoo
    Options
    I am genetically inclined to thinning hair and it started 28 years ago with the birth of my daughter *lol*. Now I have a few "bald spots" so my plan of action is to juice and use the nutribullet so I will get plenty of vitamins. I will be using alot of swiss chard!!! For those trouble spots I use xfusion hair fibers...no one can tell I have "sprinkle hair" (its least expensive on amazon).
    Hi!
    What is xfusion?
    My hair is falling out so badly right now!! Clumps big time! Im so sad abou it...lots of bald spots too!