Woo hoo! did my first Leslie Sansone mile!

Options
iquiltoo
iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
I received her DVD A Mile Each Day Five Day Slim Down a long time ago as a gift. I was well over 300 lbs at the time, and I have had a bad knee for many years. You know, vicious cycle - it hurts to even walk, so you sit around more, so it hurts more... etc. I did try it, but even just doing the forward and backward walking really hurt, so I quit.

Last year I had the good fortune to have to have an emergency double surgery. I know.. "good" fortune?! Well, I lost about 50 lbs because of it, and I lost my job co-incidentally (not a bad thing) at the same time. I managed to keep those 50 lbs off, and when I went to the doctor because of another problem that will require surgery (as a result of the previous surgery! It never ends) she referred me to a health services program called Living Well with a Chronic Condition (I have diabetes and high blood pressure too, though not so high now that I am not working!). She had referred me to it before but I couldn't go as it was in the morning and I couldn't miss that much work, so that's why it's not so bad that I am not working now (I have a pension from a previous job.) It was basically an exercise class at a local gym where they teach you how to do warm up and cool down exercises, and cardio and strength training. At 54, I was almost the youngest one there! Anyway, over the eight weeks I managed to go from only being able to do about 15 min cardio to doing the full 30 min twice a week. So I signed up at the gym to keep going, only missing one day since then when I had to be out of town. The stationary bike has helped my knee lots, who'da thought.

Then I found MFP and signed up because the food database seemed pretty good. I hated writing everything down and having to look it all up and so previously I gave up on calorie counting. Since starting here, I have lost about 12.5 lbs, increased my cardio to 45 min three times a week. I also started walking outdoors each day that I am not at the gym. But it's not easy - I live in a rural area, there's lots of gravel, and the sides of the road are kind of scary for me because I don't have great ankle strength and am afraid I may fall into the ditch! I was walking a half km out and back so that was a full km. (a little over half a mile) and it was killing me! Who knew your hips did all that work?! LOL!

So it was rainy today, and even less appealing to go out on the road, so I thought okay, if I can do 15 min on the treadmill (again about a half mile) I might be able to do the Leslie walk, though not quite at the mile pace. And I did it, and surprise - it didn't kill me! My hips weren't happy, but when I finished, it wasn't like they continued to hurt, so that's good.

My goal for now is to do this every day that I am not at the gym for a couple of weeks, then also do it in the evening on the days I go to the gym. My secondary goals are to get up to speed and to try the other miles on this DVD, but there's no rush on either of those.

Anyway, I was just so happy that I could get through the whole 15 minutes even though at a slower pace that I just had to share. Thanks for listening! :happy:

Replies

• padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    YEAH for you! Keep up the good work! I started using leslie DVD in March and I love them. I do them everyday in the morning....
  • jktin08
    jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Good for you!! Never give up! You are doing so great and people like you keep me inspired.I am 31 and have chronic illnesses too so I know how hard it can be. Leslie's videos are great and I find even on bad days I can do a mile. I am trying to do the Ultimate 5 day plan myself and I love it. I wish I found these videos sooner because so far I love every workout I have done of hers. I found they do not hurt my joints, they are not complicated and really make me sweat :)
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    That is totally awesome. Thank you for sharing your story with us. You will become addicted to Leslie. Her uplifting spirit keeps you going back for more and wanting more DVDs.

Keep going, you will reach that goal
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Keep at it, soon you will be a Leslie pro! Well done :smile:
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So happy for you and your progress! Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful progress and truly inspiring!!! Best wishes as you continue to get stronger and rack up those miles!!!
  • DAMETRE
    DAMETRE Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I love Leslie Sansone DVD's. She is totally awesome. I use her DVD's often when I can't get to the GYM. My hubby and I joke about her DVD's. He says "Hun are you going walk with Leslie today". I say, " Yes I am." He then says, "Tell her hi for me!" LOL. Leslie Rocks!! :happy:
  • iquiltoo
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind words! I have done the walk for three days in a row now. My hips are still not happy while doing it, but the good thing is when I am done, I am okay. I tried the mile with the arms today. It was okay except for one of the steps with the feet but I just kept walking instead. I can hardly believe that one day I might be able to keep up with Leslie, but I know it will get better week by week. My cat is kinda freakin' out though... ! She's not sure what I am doing in the kitchen.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you iquiltoo for your determination to get healthy even in the face of adversity and health issues. And for keeping the weight off that you had lost after your surgery. You are a rock star :flowerforyou:

I love that DVD that you have. Just keep on with it and you will surprise yourself. Even though everyone has a different story, everyone starts with their first mile, which starts with their first step. Way to go!!!

Please feel welcome to join our monthly walking challenge. Read the first post of the May challenge for more information b/c anyone can join at any time in the month. And you can count the treadmill or any other walking that you do.

Again, I am so totally proud of you :heart: !!

hugs,
    texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Good for you, taking charge of your health and walking with Leslie. She's the bomb, isn't she? I've walked away a few health problems with her too. Hang in there, there;s a good chance the hip aches may go away with time.

All the best,

Ann
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME! So proud of you! Keep it up :)
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    Great job! And I laugh about your cat comment because one of mine freaks out and wants to run back and forth in the living room while I'm trying to do mine. I keep telling her one of these days she's going to kill me lol
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That is totally awesome. Thank you for sharing your story with us. You will become addicted to Leslie. Her uplifting spirit keeps you going back for more and wanting more DVDs.

Keep going, you will reach that goal

Very well said! I love working out to Leslie because of her positive attitude.

Great job on your first mile. We're all here to cheer you on!
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Beautiful for you...your courage and commitment inspire me!!!
  • MotherMadamTransformed
    Options
    @iquiltoo What a way to overcome!!! I just recently started back working out with my ultimate 5 day walk plan DVD... Because it's been awhile, I'm having a hard time moving up the miles... With time, dedication and motivation, I do believe it will become easier forus all!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    @iquiltoo What a way to overcome!!! I just recently started back working out with my ultimate 5 day walk plan DVD... Because it's been awhile, I'm having a hard time moving up the miles... With time, dedication and motivation, I do believe it will become easier forus all!!!

Absolutely - that's the beauty of Leslie's DVDs. Way to go - both you ladies are on your way!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    checking in on you iquiltoo, post if you come upon this thread again. We would like to know how you are doing. Walk strong however or whereever you are walking!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    That is exactly the reason I was drawn to Leslie Sansone workouts. I wanted low-impacted and no crazy choreography. The moves are basic and can be modified, and still give you a good workout! Good for you for taking that first mile with Leslie!
  • iquiltoo
    Options
    checking in on you iquiltoo, post if you come upon this thread again. We would like to know how you are doing. Walk strong however or whereever you are walking!
    :flowerforyou:

Hi again! I always forget to check My Topics! I AM still walking, but not so much with the DVD now with the nice weather. I am doing WAY better. My hips don't hurt any more. I can actually go to the gym, do 20 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the bike, and 20 minutes on the elliptical <-- that is a miracle all in itself! LOL! Because I have osteoarthritis in my right knee, it's hard to walk for a long time, so splitting up the cardio by doing the hardest first, then sitting on the bike for a bit, then the killer (though not so much any more) elliptical, I am getting in an hour, plus a couple of easy warm up laps around the track before and after. The bike and the elliptical have sure helped the knee muscles that got out of whack and out of use because of that vicious cycle of "it hurts so I don't walk so it hurts more" etc. I also got a fitbit which helps me to see how lazy I am being on non-gym days and gets me up and walking around the house, if nothing else! Now that the mosquitoes are less, perhaps I will make the daily trek to the mailbox again. Thanks for thinking of me - I'll try to remember to check My Topics more regularly!
  • I received her DVD A Mile Each Day Five Day Slim Down a long time ago as a gift. I was well over 300 lbs at the time, and I have had a bad knee for many years. You know, vicious cycle - it hurts to even walk, so you sit around more, so it hurts more... etc. I did try it, but even just doing the forward and backward walking really hurt, so I quit.

Last year I had the good fortune to have to have an emergency double surgery. I know.. "good" fortune?! Well, I lost about 50 lbs because of it, and I lost my job co-incidentally (not a bad thing) at the same time. I managed to keep those 50 lbs off, and when I went to the doctor because of another problem that will require surgery (as a result of the previous surgery! It never ends) she referred me to a health services program called Living Well with a Chronic Condition (I have diabetes and high blood pressure too, though not so high now that I am not working!). She had referred me to it before but I couldn't go as it was in the morning and I couldn't miss that much work, so that's why it's not so bad that I am not working now (I have a pension from a previous job.) It was basically an exercise class at a local gym where they teach you how to do warm up and cool down exercises, and cardio and strength training. At 54, I was almost the youngest one there! Anyway, over the eight weeks I managed to go from only being able to do about 15 min cardio to doing the full 30 min twice a week. So I signed up at the gym to keep going, only missing one day since then when I had to be out of town. The stationary bike has helped my knee lots, who'da thought.

Then I found MFP and signed up because the food database seemed pretty good. I hated writing everything down and having to look it all up and so previously I gave up on calorie counting. Since starting here, I have lost about 12.5 lbs, increased my cardio to 45 min three times a week. I also started walking outdoors each day that I am not at the gym. But it's not easy - I live in a rural area, there's lots of gravel, and the sides of the road are kind of scary for me because I don't have great ankle strength and am afraid I may fall into the ditch! I was walking a half km out and back so that was a full km. (a little over half a mile) and it was killing me! Who knew your hips did all that work?! LOL!

So it was rainy today, and even less appealing to go out on the road, so I thought okay, if I can do 15 min on the treadmill (again about a half mile) I might be able to do the Leslie walk, though not quite at the mile pace. And I did it, and surprise - it didn't kill me! My hips weren't happy, but when I finished, it wasn't like they continued to hurt, so that's good.

My goal for now is to do this every day that I am not at the gym for a couple of weeks, then also do it in the evening on the days I go to the gym. My secondary goals are to get up to speed and to try the other miles on this DVD, but there's no rush on either of those.

Anyway, I was just so happy that I could get through the whole 15 minutes even though at a slower pace that I just had to share. Thanks for listening! :happy:

Good for you! I just purchased this video as well as another set ( forget the name) If I can do my mile in the morning and maybe add some in the evenings I should be good to go... one day at a time!