Slow Release Metformin

Options
Claairey1992
Claairey1992 Posts: 90 Member
Hello everyone
I used to be on normal Metformin but it messed up my digestive system so my doc has put me on SR Metformin (or prolonged resistance I think is another name for it). I've been on it for nearly 3 weeks and so far so good but I don't think it's really helping with weight loss. Was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on it? Also, how long has it taken before the side effects of pcos have been reversed?

Replies

• srslycolette
    srslycolette Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been on the SR Metformin for about 6 weeks now. I've never taken Metformin before now, and its been an experience. I stayed nauseous for a month. As far as weight loss goes, I'm curious to hear what some other women have to say too. I haven't lost any weight since taking it, and its been a little frustrating, since that's one of the main reasons they even prescribed it to me.
  • ladypinktulip
    ladypinktulip Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I take my metformin with food or I get sick. I have been on Metformin for 14 years
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've been on the slow-release stuff for about 2 months now. I still got the lower GI issues at first, but the worst of it has gone away now (took about 4-6 weeks). I can get away with taking it without food, but I've got an iron stomach and don't get nauseous easily.

A few years ago, I was on the regular stuff, and it worked a lot better for my weight than the SR version has so far, which has been rather disappointing, since I was expecting a similar reaction as before (I lost weight easily). I'm still losing weight, though at a fraction of the speed, for better or worse (4lbs since starting).
  • Bertie02
    Bertie02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been on Metformin ER for multiple years and its not made to reverse PCOS or lose weight, its made to regulate your blood sugar. With that being said I know I have lost weight when it causes me stomach issues, which comes and goes depending on my eating habits.