Setting up to lift at home

Options
glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
Our small local gym was purchased by new owners.

Loved the old ones, hate the new ones.

It has come to a head and I cannot continue to go there and work out. It no longer feels 'safe' to me.

In order to keep working out and lifting, I'm going to have to put together a home gym.

Any brands of racks/weights, etc. to avoid or aim for?

I figure I need a rack, weights (with Oly bar), and a bench as basics.

Any "nice to have" stuff I might want to add or something I might not think of?

Thanks for any ideas you may have. This has been really upsetting for me, it has taken something I've worked hard at and felt good about and made it unpleasant and extremely anxiety-producing.

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was lucky enough to get my gym setup with garage sale finds.

If you can buying used is great.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I work out at home from borrowed and hashed together stuff... plus rubber plates that were on discount at my local supermarket

I'm saving for a power cage
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I lucked out on Craigslist and got a bench/rack and 300 lbs of weights for $200. Then I had a friend's husband build me a power cage (pics are in the thread entitled "Behold!").
  • sampson2010
    sampson2010 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't offer any real advice on the home gym set-up, but just wanted to chime in with two thoughts:

1) I'm sorry you had a bad experience at your "new" gym (old gym, new owners) -- it is important to feel comfortable and safe in your environment and the fact that's no longer the case for you, well, quite frankly, that sucks. I have no advice (it doesn't sound like you need any), but I do offer my sympathy.

2) More importantly, I want to let you know that I admire your response to a bad situation. One option would have been to say "Well, this isn't working for me anymore; I guess I have to quit." Clearly, your response was that of a much stronger, more empowered women: "This isn't working for me. What can I do to make it work?" Building your own home gym? That's pretty awesome! Don't forget to share pictures when you're "open for business" so the rest of us can be duly jealous. :)
  • glwerth
    Options
    I lucked out on Craigslist and got a bench/rack and 300 lbs of weights for $200. Then I had a friend's husband build me a power cage (pics are in the thread entitled "Behold!").

Actually, I saw that and emailed my husband informing him he'll have to look at it when he gets home. Truly awesome!
  • glwerth
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't offer any real advice on the home gym set-up, but just wanted to chime in with two thoughts:

1) I'm sorry you had a bad experience at your "new" gym (old gym, new owners) -- it is important to feel comfortable and safe in your environment and the fact that's no longer the case for you, well, quite frankly, that sucks. I have no advice (it doesn't sound like you need any), but I do offer my sympathy.

2) More importantly, I want to let you know that I admire your response to a bad situation. One option would have been to say "Well, this isn't working for me anymore; I guess I have to quit." Clearly, your response was that of a much stronger, more empowered women: "This isn't working for me. What can I do to make it work?" Building your own home gym? That's pretty awesome! Don't forget to share pictures when you're "open for business" so the rest of us can be duly jealous. :)

I'm not going to let a couple of jerks stop my progress.

Actually, in the end, this will work out better, as we spend over 600 dollars a year in gym fees anyway (DH and me on a membership) and my boys are getting to the right age to start lifting, so we figure, even if we get good equipment, in two years, we'll have recouped our investment.

Thanks for the encouragement. My initial response was crying and feeling really, really hurt by what happened. Then, I got mad and decided that they are not worth my time. The whole climate of the gym has changed so much since these new owners took over. It is not nearly as friendly to all shapes and sizes and I've noticed a lot of the larger clients are gone, quite suddenly.

Now, we just have to find space for the set up. For now, I'll be losing a portion of my study, but we'll probably build a room into the garage or I'll have to give up my car space for workouts. Totally worth it, because I refuse to give up, but I also refuse to endure abuse from people I don't even like.

I will miss my yoga class, but that's what DVDs are for and I'll do fine now that I know what I'm doing (mostly).
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    There was a nice equipment thread not too long ago that listed some links to racks, etc. Craigslist should go a long way, at least at the beginning.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1064858-equipment-at-home

Since you are planning to lift with your husband, I would suggest getting a metal power rack--though this depends on how much you guys progress and what your level of ambition is. Some men can get to a point where the weights they move would be too much for a wooden rack. A wooden rack should be sufficient for most female lifters, though--even at a fairly advanced level.

Have a look here, too, for a large list of vendors and discussion of bars and such:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=39006
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    1. Bar and plates.
    2. Bench.
    3. Squat rack or power cage (power cage, while more expensive, giving the additional benefit of safety bars as well as things like a pull-up bar if that's your cup of tea).
    4. Some form of floor protection (we bought rubberized garage floor shop pads that you can modularize to whatever size floor you need to cover -- a lot less expensive than replacing a broken Oly bar and/or floor).

That should pretty much do you. Of course expanding from there, the sky is the limit.

I'm pretty a) minimalistic and b) frugal, so I scored a great deal at a local Play It Again Sports for a Golds Gym Oly bar and plates plus a squat rack/bench; that plus the flooring set us back roughly $500 (including tax). My getup is now a bit rusty around the edges from being in the garage in a high humidity environment but works just fine. I don't have a power cage yet but not lifting heavy enough to really need one anyway.
  • glwerth
    Options
    There was a nice equipment thread not too long ago that listed some links to racks, etc. Craigslist should go a long way, at least at the beginning.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1064858-equipment-at-home

Since you are planning to lift with your husband, I would suggest getting a metal power rack--though this depends on how much you guys progress and what your level of ambition is. Some men can get to a point where the weights they move would be too much for a wooden rack. A wooden rack should be sufficient for most female lifters, though--even at a fairly advanced level.

Have a look here, too, for a large list of vendors and discussion of bars and such:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=39006

Thanks! Took a look, will read more later on!
  • glwerth
    Options
    1. Bar and plates.
    2. Bench.
    3. Squat rack or power cage (power cage, while more expensive, giving the additional benefit of safety bars as well as things like a pull-up bar if that's your cup of tea).
    4. Some form of floor protection (we bought rubberized garage floor shop pads that you can modularize to whatever size floor you need to cover -- a lot less expensive than replacing a broken Oly bar and/or floor).

That should pretty much do you. Of course expanding from there, the sky is the limit.

I'm pretty a) minimalistic and b) frugal, so I scored a great deal at a local Play It Again Sports for a Golds Gym Oly bar and plates plus a squat rack/bench; that plus the flooring set us back roughly $500 (including tax). My getup is now a bit rusty around the edges from being in the garage in a high humidity environment but works just fine. I don't have a power cage yet but not lifting heavy enough to really need one anyway.

The hubs is checking Craigslist. We're looking for an exercise bike as well, since that works well for warming up, for both of us.

Don't know what we'll end up with, but it will happen this weekend, because I'm only willing to give up one week of lifting.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Definitely check craigslist. We recently bought a home gym that I can do all of my 5x5 lifts on for $300. My husband also purchased some extra weights for $100. I will put a link to the picture.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200127538456322&l=0f640ecaee

Wow, that's awesome! I'm jealous. I'm gradually building up a home set-up. I now have a bench, squat rack (very basic), pull-up thingie for the door jam and a broom stick. Just looking for weights and Oly bar. I think I'll have to pay new prices though. I can't find anything local, despite my best efforts!
  • glwerth
    Options
    Definitely check craigslist. We recently bought a home gym that I can do all of my 5x5 lifts on for $300. My husband also purchased some extra weights for $100. I will put a link to the picture.

Oh, NICE! We're looking on Craigslist and are lucky to have three large-ish cities within striking distance. Well, the whole state of Iowa is pretty much within a relatively easy drive. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Oh, NICE! We're looking on Craigslist and are lucky to have three large-ish cities within striking distance. Well, the whole state of Iowa is pretty much within a relatively easy drive. :)

^^^ in that case, check if you have used gym equipment distributors--apparently, gyms go out of business often enough that it's a thriving trade.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and my set up is in my living/dining room on a wooden floor! There is absolutely no throwing the weights down for me.

I've been considering moving it all out into the garage but it gets hella cold in there in the winter and I'm concerned about injuring myself.

I got my set up off Ebay and while it's not what I would have chosen if I had the money it is adequate for now. It's a York bar and weights which is the biggest drawback - if I get to the stage of hurling heavy weights around then I'll either have to upgrade to Olympic or join a gym.

One thing that is really annoying is with only one bar changing weights between lifts can be time consuming. I'm looking for another cheap bar now that I can leave set up for deads.

i love it though :)
  • aspired2lift
    aspired2lift Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I bought my equipment on CL and my Dad gave me a squat rack (he is a lifter as well).

I got a bench with a the bench press rack thing and lat pull, Olympic bar with 2- 45# plates, 2- 25# plates, and 4- 5# plates for around $150. Best.investment.ever.

I set it all up in our shed after my husband moved all his crap out of the way ;) I love lifting at home. I can workout during the day when my little guys are napping and I still have some energy :)

So, the stuff I would look for is:
    1. squat rack
    2. Oly bar
    3. bench
    4. plates

I would look for someone who is selling it all together because you tend to save more that way. Good luck and sorry about the crappy gym situation!
  • kaylingonzales
    kaylingonzales Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I set up my home gym this last december. Bar, Plates, Cage, Bench all under a thousand.

POWER CAGE: http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PPR200X-PowerLine-Power-Rack/dp/B000VLRVSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395160982&sr=8-1&keywords=power+rack
    Love it its pretty sturdy and wasnt too hard to set up initially.

BAR AND WEIGHTS: http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10793623

I forget where I got the bench but they have a lot of good ones on Amazon.com
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and have mish mash of equipment at the moment.

Husband and my man child built me a squat rack, I have a bench 2 bars (standard) and a curl bar (2 were gifts for my birthday)

I am slowly building up my plates from the "old" york plastic ones I had from years ago when I was lifting.

My husband had some great metal plates so we have those, I have recently got some for Christmas and just this past weekend bought some new plates at walmart ...

2@ 25lbs, 2@10lbs and 4@ 2.5lbs for 80$...not a bad haul

We are going to invest in a power cage soon...instead of a gym membership.

I lift in what used to be my spare bedroom/craftroom but I did put padding down but hardwood means no dropping the weights either.

We are hoping to put a workout room in the new garage we are building in the next 18months...Yah...
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Check out used sports stores or warehouses. My brother and I pitched in and bought a squat rack for around $180 on sale. We got a set of weights (over 200lbs), which included the Oly bar for $259 (York brand). We also got a bench for free because someone was moving and didn't want it anymore. We don't need that much for now, and it's cheaper than 2 gym memberships. Good luck on your hunt!