Daily Challenge 3/9/2013

Options
m23prime
m23prime Posts: 358 Member
Sorry about missing out Tuesday's challenge. Alana is away for a couple more days sorting things out, and um...I forgot.

But it is now the middle of short, but busy week, for all our North American members--(for our European and other far flung members, I don't know what the back-to-school or holiday situation might be)--and I noticed, while snooping through a diary or two, that a few of us went a bit nuts with the SALT this weekend.

So I am calling another sodium challenge day.

Partially because of my snooping, but mostly because my time is a little short this evening and my creative reserves focused elsewhere.

SO--keep that sodium macro green on Wednesday. Commit to your daily activity. And...just because it's me--DRINK YOUR DANG WATER!

Good logging and good luck.

yer pal,

Mark

report your successes below--AND any helpful ideas you might have to share to help me keep my salt consumption under control would be greatly appreciated. (Yes...I am abusing my moderate power by forcing everyone to tag along on one my major weak areas today--please forgive me.)

Replies

• myndikins
    Options
    Great challenge Mark =] Sodium is one of the biggies that I have issues keeping green. I don't know where it all comes from :/

I make a lot of my own seasoning mixes and dressings and you'd be surprised how much sodium that cuts out of my diet. Tastes better too!
  • m23prime
    Options
    It's shocking how high on the list of ingredients SALT is on those single use pouches of spice mixes, rubs, and such--or Shake and Bake? That stuff is mostly salt and sugar!

Way to pick up the challenge!
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think I have been green on sodium once. It is my arch nemesis. Of course, Wednesday is date night and we're going out for bowling and pizza... I will do my absolute best to keep it green!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Oh I have not even had a green sodium once! I will accept this challage however and attempt to make it green!!!! It is amazing how much natural sodium is in foods never mind the added stuff!

Thanks for the challage Mark! I hope everyone has an amazing day!
  • cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sodium is truly a challenge!! I AM going to be GREEN today!!

Great challenge!!

CC
  • m23prime
    Options
    Well! So glad to see so many of you picking up the challenge today.

I, your humble challenger and resident troll got off to a tasty but VERY salty start with the world's yummiest bacon sammich--so I not only have a very difficult day, but one that will require a LOT of extra planning.

But I have fresh fruit and bags of salad for the rest of the day, and some fresh boneless/skinless chicken breast to stir fry up in some sesame oil and a secret low sodium spice mix my friend makes. It's kind of a Mrs. Dash for spice hounds like me, but 1/20 the sodium of table salt. It's called Melange after the anagathic spice from Frank Huebert's Dune books.

I may have handicapped myself a wee bit early in the day--but dang it! I'm still going to try!
  • cc11395
    Options
    You can do it Mark! After all, he who controls the spice, controls the universe!

CC
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Unless I go crazy at dinner, I got this. Not that I wasn't tempted by salty snacks from the machine at the training complex...

Now, getting enough water in today may be another story...

May a Shaddot Mapes bless you with the water of life.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    No green sodium.... but way better then I have done so far! I did put an effort into it! I am happy with my day!
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I DID IT. I cannot believe I did it.
  • m23prime
    Options
    I made it too! The fact that I skipped lunch (by accident) and only had salad for supper (which was SUPER yummy too) got me through.

Congrats to everybody who made it--and even bigger congrats to everybody who learned a thing or two about hidden sodium in processed and restaurant food. Scary, ain't it?
  • cc11395
    Options
    I made it too!!

Dan - We are seriously showing our geekiness!! Alia and Sardaukar were both cats of mine! LOL

CC