Dumb question before i post

Options
crazyten
crazyten Posts: 57 Member
Hi all.

This is my first time posting anything ever on this group although i have been a member for a while. i would like to post my progress but just have one question, are the numbers (weights) that people have including the barbell weight and also is it a total of the plates on each side or just the plate used on one side?

e.g. my last squat i used 15kg plates on an olympic barbell, what is the weight i lifted??

Thanks.

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You calculate everything you lift, so that includes the bar and all the plates. Eg the bar is 20kg + 2x 15kg plates = 50kg :)
  • crazyten
    crazyten Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Really!!! thanks for the speedy reply. i am so chaffed with myself. its been two weeks and im on 50 kg!!! Today is supposed to be Workout A, i will be trying to go for 55kg on my squat.

Thanks.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Kick *kitten*!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ugh barbell math.... UGH
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ooh that does assume you're using an oly bar which is 20kg and 7' long... and I'm stuck on 50kg while I try and sort my form out.. so enjoy the quick gains while you can lol!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Ugh barbell math.... UGH

I swear I do half my workout doing barbell math.
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    Barbell math - you'd think it could just be electronically beamed into your phone.... one day!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    screw barbell maths, I weigh my barbell. I have a mixture of metric and imperial plates!! I put the scales on a bedside table and put the bar on that. It tells me if I got the maths right before I attempt to lift it lol!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    screw barbell maths, I weigh my barbell. I have a mixture of metric and imperial plates!! I put the scales on a bedside table and put the bar on that. It tells me if I got the maths right before I attempt to lift it lol!

:laugh: That's cheating! :laugh:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea to weigh your bar and plates at least once to find out how off they are from what they are supposed to be... they often don't weigh what they claim to, just like Hollywood starlets.

I use the calculator on my phone to double-check my arithmetic when I get tired and I *still* mess it up sometimes.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ugh barbell math.... UGH

I swear I do half my workout doing barbell math.

Me too.