Trying Gluten Free - Advice/Support

Options
I randomly stumbled upon an article about gluten intolerance the other day and was surprised that I had about 5/10 of the symptoms that were listed on the website.. I want to try going gluten free for a month or so and do the whole elimination diet test to see how I feel.. I am just worried that family/friends are not going to support me and think that I am just jumping on the whole "gluten free diet" bandwagon. Also I am not sure what to really eat, because a lot of the foods I currently have been eating contain gluten in them. If anyone has any suggestions or would want to add me as a friend and help me out, I would really appreciate some support and advice!

I guess I should add my "symptoms" here since that might help with your advice..

1. digestive issues
2. fatigue
3. depression, anxiety & mood swings
4. migraines
5. joint pains
6. Asthma

Replies

• CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free about 3 weeks ago. I really haven't had any withdrawal with any foods but I have asthma and I am hoping that it helps me. I am trying a few of the gluten free items out there but I am not subbing them to fill the void. I eat them when I want something thats all. Rotini has a great GF pasta that you whould never know that its not the real thing.
    I like you was afraid that when my family and friends heard I was GF they would think it was a fad and that would pass after a few weeks but I have no problem with it. I DO feel better and I am glad that I dropped the wheat! Good Luck to you
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have tried that pasta before! I bought some weird off brand gluten free pasta last night at the discount grocery store. I won't be able to go GF quite yet, but I am getting prepared. I have a lot of foods at my house that I have to use up before I can justify buying more, because I am SUPER BROKE :( My boyfriend can help eat some of it up though. I also just changed my diet back to eating mostly vegetarian (with the exception of fish sometimes). My boyfriend is going to start helping out with bills soon, so I will have some extra money to go to the healthy grocery store where they have more GF/vegetarian options. At least my BF and my mom seem supportive so far, haven't really told anyone else.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well I wish you luck and if you need help we are here for you!
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for about over a year and cared for a child with celiac! feel free to ask me any questions!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    1. Focusing on vegetables and the perishable sections of any grocery store is a good place to start.
    2. I would also say introduce yourself to quinoa. Its a complete protein, has 9 amino acids essential for life so its a good thing to add to your diet to help cover any gaps as you learn.
    3. Eating one glutenous item should not be an excuse to go on a binge or gluten bender. It will just delay the sysmptoms leaving your system. Gluten took 6 months to completely leave my system. Every time I screw up or get glutened its like starting over so dedication to the journey is important. If I eat a full meal with gluten- I get daily headache/nausea for 6-8 weeks afterwards. If its accidental trace amounts, its about a week. Your level of sensitivity may be different but as you go off wheat it will start to be clearer when you mess up.
    4. Don't go radical or preachy- but definitely be clear that you are 100% gluten free for health reasons. No wiggle room. Do not compromise to make others happy- your health has to come first as you trial GF. For some reason people (general public) seem to thing that its not serious and that a little is fine. I once had a server try to suggest menu options that were lower in wheat/gluten content than others. And I have actually used the words "neuro-toxin" to describe it because that what is does to me and I have many of your symptoms. You dont need to tell everyone, but don't be afraid to stick up for yourself.
    5. Avoid relying on "gluten-free" products that replace their glutenous counterparts like muffins, breads, cookies. They are usually high is carbs, low in nutrition, and high in sugar and salt. You are best off trying to get to the source of foods like other non-gluten grains, seeds, and nuts than their processed versions.
    6. Pay attention to sauces, dressings, and spice packages. They are often my source of screw ups, especially when other people cook for me or are serving me! (And they tell me something is GF.)
    7. People who are gluten intolerant often have other food intolerances, so watch for other symptoms/triggers. All your issues may not clear up because you are reacting to something else.

Good luck on the journey! Gluten-free is work but its worth it! :happy:
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have not been tested for this, but I do find that I have most of the symptoms. I don't think that I have celiac disease but I do believe I have gluten intolerance. I will send you a friend request. I need a lot of support in this as some of my current friends don't have this problem and cannot support my low calorie intake. I will provide support, as well.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and support. I am going to get quinoa next time I go grocery shopping and some GF bread. I want to actually look into making my own bread as well because that will be a lot cheaper. I'm lucky we have a co-op and whole foods here to have more of these options. It is really surprising that they add gluten to so many things!
  • robin949598
    robin949598 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I decided to go gluten free about a month ago. My husband has supported me 100%. He was tired of me complaining about how I felt all the time. I have not had any stomach issues or a headache in a month. It gets easier to look away from the stuff that makes you sick everyday.