Natural products??

Options
Can someone recommend some fertility products that can naturally jump start my menstrual cycle?? My Dr. is going to put me on Clomid in October, I'm nervous about that, should I be??

Replies

• CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    So are you trying to just make sure you're getting your period (menstrual cycle), or you are you talking about ovulation? Because clomid is for ovulation. (although I suppose if you ovulate you should get a cycle)

If you want to make sure you're getting a period every month, I would use progesterone cream (days 14-28 of your cycle, or post ovulation for 14 days depending on your cycle).

If you are concerned about ovulation, there are a LOT of different natural products to use, and it's hard to say what would best benefit you, as every woman with PCOS is a bit different.

I'm currently taking something called Glucoplex for blood sugars and, Estro Adapt to help get level out the good and bad estrogens. Those are natural products that are supposed to help get my body functioning more like it should, and balance out my hormones, but they don't "trigger" ovulation per say, like clomid does.

My naturopath is also going to start me on something called tribulus, which has been shown to assist ovulation, however, it has to be used carefully in PCOS because it does have the potential to increase testosterone a bit if you're not careful with what else you're doing/taking (bad for PCOS since we usually already have high testosterone).

I'm on a low carb, high fat/protein, no added sugar, low natural sugar diet.

There is Vitex, which seems to be used by quite a few PCOS women.

But I would probably see a naturopath and talk to them about this, because it's impossible to say what would benefit you, and what would just send your hormones even farther out of whack if you just start adding in a bunch of stuff on your own.
  • anditsbecca
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice!! It's hard to explain really.. My Dr. said that my testosterone levels were pretty normal and that my PCOS wasn't indicated on the testing because of my blood sugar levels being so high. That Dr. visit was a lot to take in.. I was diagnosed as type II diabetic and Hypothyroidism (under-active Thyroid) So she said at the time that I "did not" have PCOS, But this was something I was diagnosed with at the age of 15 so I know it didn't just go away.. she said most likely the test was showing that I didn't have it because of my blood sugar and thyroid levels. But as for my testosterone levels being pretty normal I don't know what that means.

I know I am not ready to TTC just yet as I want to be as healthy as possible. I have lost about 30 lbs so far so my Dr. said she would start me on Clomid in Oct. but I don't know why I feel so nervous about that. I have been on Metformin since April and have had a few stomach cramps but no periods. I was just wondering if there was anything else that I could do before being put on Clomid. I read that red raspberry leaf tea helps your uterus and could also help regulate you, I called my Dr to see if I could try the natural things while on the medication I am currently taking. I won't hear back until Monday. We'll see. I am def going to find out about a naturopath (which is something I haven't heard of) I will have to see what my husbands insurance covers.. then we will go from there. But thank you for all your help! Sending good juju your way :)
  • missa3428
    missa3428 Posts: 114
    Options
    I just started using Vitex again on Aug. 7th AF was lost since 04/28. I remember taking it a few years ago, and it brought on my AF...I wasn’t trying at the time to get pregnant as I was taking a break so I don't know if it brought on Ovulation, as I wasn't checking. I am happy to say that after AF being scares for almost 4 months 20 days after taking Vitex she came! I think between losing weight, eating right, and the vitex it helped bring it on! My doctor told me that if I don't take care of myself now, I might get Type II Diabetes as a lot of women with PCOS get that. Maybe you did have it and now it’s gone because you now have the Type II diabetes or your doctor before thought you had it as you were already diabetic and you also had the Thyroid issue.

I am doing the same diet as CharRicho. What are you doing for your diet? I hope everything works out for you!
  • anditsbecca
    Options
    My diet is not very great. I never have an appetite and my husband has to remind me constantly to eat. I could go all day without food until dinner time and even then I am just a little snacky not really hungry. So I'd say my diet is very poor. I started drinking supplement shakes because I seriously just cannot eat, so I would rather drink my calories than to eat them. I eat one meal a day something along the lines of grilled chicken green veggie sometime rice although I know I shouldn't eat rice. I crave bread a lot which I also know I shouldn't eat. I have been getting bad headache because I've tried cutting out all of my soda knowing with the extra weight and diabetes it's the last thing I need to drink but my hubby seems to think the headache may be coming from a caffeine withdrawl. To be honest I really have no idea what to eat, but when I do eat actual food I have cut my portions down big time. I only use small saucer plates. I know I don't drink enough either I need more water but I am never thirsty really either.. or seems nothing quenches my thirst like the soda did but I can't stand knowing its bad and putting it into my body anymore so I sip water daily but I know it isn't enough :(

I was diagnosed with pcos at 15 and no doctor ever told me the risk and I was too young to really care at the time so I didn't even know I could develop type II diabetes otherwise my mom would have made sure I lived a better lifestyle :(
  • missa3428
    Options
    Oh wow! I wish in a way I could say I wasn't hungry and I would forget to eat. That is NEVER the case for me! I need to eat about every two hours, or I gorge myself at my main meals. My aunt is like this and has PCOS as well.

Your supplement drinks do they have sugar and carbs in them? Being a Diabetic you really want to make sure you are eating right and enough to nourish your body so it doesn't cause any other issues as I have seen people who didn’t and it can cause issues with other things. I am sorry you didn't have a Doctor that explained what could happen if you didn't take care of yourself with the PCOS. It could be that it was when you were 15 and they didn't have very much research on it yet. I know a lot of doctors still don't know much about it! It is hard to find a doctor that is knowledgeable in regards to the PCOS. I find most my research on the internet! I am sorry that because of that doctor you are paying for it now.

For your headaches, if you were used to drinking soda every day, and it had sugar, your body is having withdrawals of both sugar and caffeine. I had this issue as well when I found out I had PCOS my doctor said NO MORE REGULAR SODA! I went through the worst withdrawals ever! Now if I drink a regular soda to get my sugar up or more than 4oz I get a UTI. My doctor said that is normal for someone whose body isn't used to sugar anymore. Give it about two weeks and the headaches should be gone. If the headaches are still bothering you I would say speak to your doctor about it.

What medication are you on for you diabetes? I am taking 2000mlg of met to help me not get diabetes and help with signs of my PCOS.

I would say you should really change your eating habits and see if this will help you with Ovulation and getting AF. If that doesn’t work I would say take the Clomid to Ovulate. I hope it works for you better than it worked for me! I had the worst headache, my husband said he was ready to kill me…as I was acting CRAZY, and some of the worst hot flashes! I did blood work and nothing!!! No such luck. My doctor wanted me to lose weight and try it again..maybe after I lose some weight it will work.

Like I said in the last post I have been taking Vitex and I got AF 20 days later, if you were interested in trying that! I hope that everything works out for you!!!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Honestly if there's one thing you REALLY want to concentrate on right now, diet wise, it's sugar. If you have to have the caffeine another way to avoid the headaches, do it, but really really try to cut out the sugar. That is going to be your number 1 enemy regardless of whether you have diabetes and/or PCOS. Regular soda is an absolute never food. Switch to diet while you're trying to cut back, and that will be easier on your cravings.

Good luck! I know it's super hard :(

I'm confused as to why your doctor wants to put you on to clomid if you're not TTC, because clomid is a fertility drug. There are better ways to treat PCOS if that is the problem. Also if you have hypothyroid then you should be taking thyroid medication which actually might on its own bring back your cycle. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but definitely do your research on this before you go back to your doctor, and don't just let him/her put you on medication you don't need. Be informed and advocate for yourself... I really wish that I had known so much more when I first thought I had PCOS. I guess hindsight is 20/20.
  • anditsbecca
    Options
    When I was 15 and diagnosed at first I was only put on BC to regulate my cycles. It was fine until I got off of BC.. I know I probably should have stayed on it throughout everything but as a teen I was on my mothers insurance and we either had it or didn't, and I didn't know about health dept and free BC at the time. So I was pretty much only on BC when we could afford it and also when I was sexually active but that wasn't until after I was 18 anyways. And type II diabetes and thyroid problems run in the women's side of my family anyways.. I was just not informed. I am currently on Metformin 500 mg extended release twice daily. and also I am on Armour Thyroid for my under-active thyroid. My doctor and I are still trying to find the right dosage of that. My cycle has not came yet even with the metformin but I am thinking it is because I am already diabetic now. And also my Dr. (she) is planning to put me on Clomid in Oct. that is when I will be TTC. so she isn't just putting me on it for now reason. My husband and I want a child soon. We obviously have had no luck because...well I don't ovulate with and absent period. I know sugar is my worst enemy right now.. I just really have no idea what to eat or drink because I am never hungry.. I would really rather drink my calories instead of eating them... If you guys have any suggestions please let me know... I know the slim fast drink have too much sugar and I drink 2 a day.. sometimes... sometimes I don't even do that.. I am trying really hard to cut out my soda, I usually just swallow my pills with is to cover the taste, lol. I have lab work tomorrow for my blood sugar and thyroid... we will see how and where I am with that. I know I need to lose a lil more weight which I was hoping to do by Oct, before put on clomid but I pulled a back muscle.. and I am at a plateau at 30 lbs weight loss..... ugh. All this is so frustrating... Also I don't want to sound uneducated but what does "AF" mean? I am just learning all the new (TTC/PCOS..acronyms) Thank you ladies so much for all your help!!
  • chickpea00
    Options
    Just Google TTC Acronyms. You should be able to find a list of all the crazy acronyms that way. I know it took me forever to learn most of them, and I still have to look one up now and then!
  • anditsbecca
    Options
    Gotcha, thanks!! :)