Charity Miles

Options
Canuname
Canuname Posts: 182 Member
Hey everyone I found a great way to help others while logging our daily miles. It is called Charity Miles. The web address is here:http://www.charitymiles.org/ While you walk or run or bike, you have the app running in the background and you can earn money for the charity of your choice in the app.

Replies

• cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cool idea, thanks for sharing Russ!!

CC
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Downloaded. Will try it out tomorrow morning.

- givens
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Wow! That really does sound like a cool idea.

Sadly, I only have a Dumb Phone and the only apps it comes with are the ability to phone people, and a really long cord, so you can phone people from a different room if you feel like it.

* sigh * How's the weather over there in the 21st Century?
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! How cool. Downloaded, and will try it out on my next walk.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Ah M23 I miss the old corded phone! I don't think my son has ever seen one! I am addicted to my phone I think I can't imagine living without it!
  • coretha38
    coretha38 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So cool! Will download.

Deb.
  • mdgivens
    Options
    Tried it out this morning (I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus), and it seemed to work pretty well. There was a slight discrepancy in mileage between the Charity Miles app and my Google My Tracks app, but they seemed to co-exist OK. I logged 2.517 miles and raised $0.629 for cancer research.

What will be interesting is tomorrow morning when I do my Couch to 5k training run. I will have the C25k app, Google My Tracks, and Charity Miles all running at once. Hopefully it all goes well.
  • mdgivens
    Options
    Tried it out this morning (I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus), and it seemed to work pretty well. There was a slight discrepancy in mileage between the Charity Miles app and my Google My Tracks app, but they seemed to co-exist OK. I logged 2.517 miles and raised $0.629 for cancer research.

What will be interesting is tomorrow morning when I do my Couch to 5k training run. I will have the C25k app, Google My Tracks, and Charity Miles all running at once. Hopefully it all goes well.

Did my Couch to 5k training run today, and all of the apps played together nicely. I think I might be a bit addicted to this app. Had it on during my training run this morning, and then again during an evening stroll with the family. In the past two days, I've raised $1.50 for cancer research, which I think equates to about 6 miles of walking/running.
  • just_jess7
    Options
    Did my Couch to 5k training run today, and all of the apps played together nicely. I think I might be a bit addicted to this app. Had it on during my training run this morning, and then again during an evening stroll with the family. In the past two days, I've raised $1.50 for cancer research, which I think equates to about 6 miles of walking/running.

Awesome!! Keep raking in the miles (and money!) And good to see that all three apps run simultaneously without blowing up your phone :-)
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow! That really does sound like a cool idea.

Sadly, I only have a Dumb Phone and the only apps it comes with are the ability to phone people, and a really long cord, so you can phone people from a different room if you feel like it.

* sigh * How's the weather over there in the 21st Century?

Off topic - my grandma still has a rotary phone on the wall. You read that right, rotary. She's grandfathered in on a rental from like, 20 years ago, when she had to replace the phone that originally came with the house in '57.

Back to topic - that app sounds cool, I shall have to get my non-dumb-phone going on it :)
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    thought i was the only person without a smart phone! makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one trailing a century behind the times.
  • mdgivens
    Options
    Has anyone else been using the Charity Miles app during their exercising? I found it motivates me to walk/run a little farther.
  • just_jess7
    Options
    Givens, I have it downloaded on my phone but I have been a complete and total lazy bum recently and haven't used it. I plan to, though.