Lifting in the cold.....

Options
Nix143
Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
Random one but thought I'd ask you guys for your experiences

My weight are in my living/dining room on a wooden floor. They take up too much space and I am always cautious when doing deads. So I'm thinking about moving my weights into my garage. However it is REALLY cold in there during the winter. I'm in the North of England and it's not nice up here :smile:

Am I risking potential injury lifting in a cold box? I know I'm really lazy about warming up as it is in a toasty warm house. My instinct is saying it might just be too cold but is hat me being a bit of a wimp???

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My workout area is in the garage too and it does get very, very cold at times. I think the worst was about 9 degrees. I always warm up and I wear gloves and a hat. I finish up with stretching inside because it's just too darn cold to do any floor stretching out there. As long as I warm up sufficiently I don't seem to have a problem. The worst part is cold hands on a freezing cold bar but that's why I wear gloves with grippy palms. My daughter knit me a thick hat with a ponytail opening so I wear that when it's really cold. I do have foam floor mats so I'm not directly on the concrete floor.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Can you get a space heater to run while you're lifting? Might at least cut the freezingness a LITTLE.
  • Nix143
    Options
    Foam mats and space heaters- good ideas, cheers.

I'm fed up f not being able to move in the dining room and from last time lowering the bar down carefully after deads was just all wrong. Think I might have to just suck it up and pull my big girl thermal panties up!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I lift in the garage and started in February. It was cold, although I'm in FL so nowhere near England temperatures!

My setup is by the door to the house, so I just left it open and allowed my fan to blow warm air from the house/laundry room my way. It helped. Of course thorough warm-up is key here, and wearing adequate clothing.

Can you maybe leave the door to the house open and send some warm air your way if you move your digs into the garage?

Or maybe get one of them electric radiator heater thingies that are way safer than actual space heaters? Or a heater fan you can place on a sturdy concrete surface?

I would recommend some level of warmth, especially if your garage isn't well insulated. Because you can wear all the thermal panties you want, if your fingers are frozen stiff you're not going to lift much to speak of and it's not going to be any fun, plus if you're not thoroughly warmed up you're going to risk injury which is even less fun.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether you manage to make the training space itself more comfortable, a proper warm-up is really important. That is not something I would ever skip in the winter.
  • Nix143
    Options
    I've been thinking about it and I think I might temporarily get some rubber matting to protect the floor and leave the weights where they are. The garage is so drafty I don't know whether I could force myself to go in there when it is snowing outside.

Thanks for all the input :smile:
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Stay in the house! I tried running in the winter once, never again. My stamina could not keep up with how fast I needed to go to keep warm.

How North England if you don't mind me asking - I am in Manchester (and also nosey)
  • beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite issue. My gym is my garage and I live in Texas (moved here in March) and right now it is sweltering. Not sure how the winter will be. Probably will be a relief. I think getting a heater for your garage would help a little, but if temps get too frigid, I don't think it would be safe or productive.