Challenges

Options
I thought I'd post a thread where people can post their challenges for No Sugar September as they arise, and for support.

For me, my challenge today is that I'm hosting an event tonight at my house. Usually I would buy snacks including something sweet, but am afraid (or should I say I know) that I will indulge if it's in front of me, and if it's still in the house the next day would be too tempting "oh just one piece... ". Instead I just purchased non-sweet treats, and am hoping my guests aren't disappointed by the lack of chocolate.

Replies

• bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge right now is that I'm REALLY busy at work and I need the chocolate to stay alive and sane! Ha ha...September may not be the best time for me to cut out sugar.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge has been over the last three or four days while I have been quite ill with an upset stomach. I've had a few mis-steps but nothing serious.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge hasn't been in the "sugar free" thing.

My problem is keeping my overall sugar level in an acceptable range because of the fruits I eat.

I'm finding a lot of difficulty cutting out the fruit. Especially since I've been ill. All I've wanted to eat is fruit.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Darla,
    My biggest challenge hasn't been in the "sugar free" thing.

My problem is keeping my overall sugar level in an acceptable range because of the fruits I eat.

I'm finding a lot of difficulty cutting out the fruit. Especially since I've been ill. All I've wanted to eat is fruit.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the fruit sugar consumed as part of whole fruit. It appears to be metabolised completely differently than added sugar that is in processed foods and even fruit juice.
    If all you feel like eating is fruit - go ahead and eat it. You can't get healthier snacks than fruit and nuts.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • darla499
    Options

Hi Darla

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the fruit sugar consumed as part of whole fruit. It appears to be metabolised completely differently than added sugar that is in processed foods and even fruit juice.
    If all you feel like eating is fruit - go ahead and eat it. You can't get healthier snacks than fruit and nuts.
    kind regards,

Ben

I like the way you think! I do love my fruits!
  • RedVelvette
    RedVelvette Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    update: I did really well at the event that I hosted, didn't have anything with added sugars and guests took the desserts with them as they left (I insisted!). Yay!

Yesterday we attended a rare and unique event where gourmet chefs prepare a special meal for me and my husband + 6 of our guests. I decided ahead of time that I would allow myself to splurge. I did, and it was good and I have no regrets. However, I don't know if it was the late night coffee being too strong or if it was the indulgences with rich food and sugar, but my body was NOT happy. I will spare the details but let's just say that my tummy didn't feel well, I hit the bathroom about every hour through the night, and it took me 4 hours + to fall asleep, leaving me with 3 hrs sleep last night. Is this a common side effect from eating sugar after cleansing? Has anyone else had this kind of reaction?

And of course, today is a new day and I'm feeling better about no sweets, more so than ever!
  • darla499
    Options
    Is this a common side effect from eating sugar after cleansing? Has anyone else had this kind of reaction?

And of course, today is a new day and I'm feeling better about no sweets, more so than ever!

I don't know if it's common or not but it's always been stated that you get a "sugar high" and then a crash, caused by the level of sugar in your blood.

I do know, from personal experience, that after I had my surgery, sugar just doesn't do well with me. If I eat a piece of cake, a donut or a candy bar, it runs right through me (sparing details) and gives me an upset stomach.

That's part of the reason I was so prepared for this challenge. I just needed to give up those "hidden" sugars.

Good for you for being on track all week! Keep up the good work!
  • RedVelvette
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks Darla. It's good to know I'm not the only one.
    A part of me feels a little sad to think I can't enjoy desserts without it tearing up my guts, but another part of me is glad in a way, it's definitely good motivation for staying away from sweets!
    Except for that dinner, I haven't had any sweets/desserts in September. I have already noticed a difference in how I feel and am down about 2-3 pounds (I also increased my workouts so that could be part of it, too). Either way, I'm so grateful for this challenge!
  • RedVelvette
    Options
    This weekend I splurged. Birthday cake and alcohol on Fri, Sat, and Sun. Today I'm back to "normal" but craving sweets and carbs. I guess that's the cycle, just need to push past it.

How's everyone else doing? Challenges? Triumphs? Lessons learned? Please share your story so we can learn from each other!

This sugar-free challenge has been really informative for me.