Daily Challenge 06/09/2013

Options
m23prime
m23prime Posts: 358 Member
So sorry to post this so late for you easterly folks...but we should be okay.

Your challenge today is to review your macro reports (fat, protein, sodium, fiber, etc) and determine where you have been slack, or perhaps most unmindful. (Some of you don't know the meaning of the word "slack"!)

And THAT macro is one you are going to target today.

Stay under your calories. Drink your water. Give special attention to your personal problem macro.

But first decide what that macro is, and when you post, make at stab at determining WHY, too much salt, or a lack of fiber, or an abundance of dietary fat is giving you some grief. Is it a favorite food that is a problem? Is it a time management issue that forces you to eat out boxes, packages, and tins? It could just be accidental carelessness.

Look at your reports. Scan your diary. Decide on your target today. File a report later.

Good logging and good luck.

Replies

• mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple: sodium and sugar. Going to work on keeping sugar down today.

Challenge accepted.
  • lauralouwho84
    Options
    I need to work on my sugars... I've also been slacking on drinking water.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    My too hardest areas are fat and sodium!!! Why?? Because I eat a lot of processed food! I will just not eat to stay under calories rather then give up the foods I have! This is not something I can fix today! I am already over sodium! I will go shopping tomorrow and I will buy lots of fresh foods and I will stop giving into my kids and my husband and start eating better over all! I am on a mission to watch sodium :) and today fat since I still have a chance in that department :)
  • m23prime
    Options
    I need to work on my sugars... I've also been slacking on drinking water.

Well...you know my personal reaction to your water deficit...he says as he stares sternly, but with avuncular affection, over his glasses...

Good luck!
  • m23prime
    Options
    This is not something I can fix today! I am already over sodium! I will go shopping tomorrow and I will buy lots of fresh foods and I will stop giving into my kids and my husband and start eating better over all!

Hey! Remember...I posted the challenge late...so no harm no foul. I applaud your decision to try and ween yourself from boxes, pouches, packets, tins, and jars.

One trick that I picked up elsewhere on this site, is to only shop the perimeter of the store--fresh meat, fresh veggies, fruit, dairy--all the "good stuff" is usually on the outside loop.

Where we run into problems is when we spend too much time combing the aisles. At least, that is MY experience. (Ever notice that they don't merchandise the corn chips next to the corn?)

Holly, you face the added problem of feeding a family who is not quite as committed to a new lifestyle as you are. Make sure you take it easy on yourself and on them. But I have great faith that they will come around to a more supportive posture as they see the results of your determination and hard work.

Do what you can. Forgive yourself for what you can't. Try again in the morning!
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Stupid sodium. But I should be able to keep it under control today.
  • myndikins
    Options
    I think my biggest issues are consistently sugar and sodium. Sodium is easier to fix because whenever I cook, I can avoid that. Lately I haven't been home enough to cook, so I've been eating out a little bit and Subway always has tons of sodium.

Sugar though...ugh. I'm actually not too worried about it just because I know that the majority of my sugar is "good" sugar - ie it comes from fruit and veggies, so it's natural to the fruit and therefore isn't as bad as say, soda or doughnuts. Does that make sense? Anyone else think that way? For instance, yesterday my breakfast/lunch smoothie alone put me in the red for sugar. The ingredients were strawberries, blueberries, pom juice, powdered goji/acai/pom/camu camu berries, and a little bit of sunwarrior protein powder. All the berries and juice were literally 100% berry with nothing at all added, but that naturally has plenty of sugar in it. I feel like that's an acceptable overage because at least its cleaner eating.

Now, if I was trying to justify my sugar being in the red because of candy and stuff, that would be another story. One of my professors throws candy to you whenever you get a question right and (so far) I've only ever missed 2 questions in her class. My bag has a layer of different candies under all the books lol
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    If I don't kick my own butt no one will!

It is way to way to give into the kids! I have reduced my middle store shopping but it is a challenge with everyone else in the house! But that's to darn bad! If only someone would cook for me too!!!

I love your challenges it really makes me think about how I am planning stuff!
  • m23prime
    Options
    I think my biggest issues are consistently sugar and sodium. Sodium is easier to fix because whenever I cook, I can avoid that. Lately I haven't been home enough to cook, so I've been eating out a little bit and Subway always has tons of sodium.

Sugar though...ugh. I'm actually not too worried about it just because I know that the majority of my sugar is "good" sugar

Now, if I was trying to justify my sugar being in the red because of candy and stuff, that would be another story.

I've actually stopped tracking sugar on a daily basis because of the same rationalization that you use. I know that I am eating (mostly) good sugar.

PLUS the convenience and boost one gets from a piece of fruit over say...Mars Bar? Jelly tots? Wine gums...name your poison--as a between classes snack is actually boosting my classroom performance, among other things.

Sadly, salt... * sigh * I have blood pressure medication and water retention issues that say I am out of excuses or rationalizations for going red in THAT column.

I feel your pain.

BECAUSE SODIUM IS IN EVERYTHING HANDY, CHEAP, FAST AND YUMMY!:sad:

Solidarity my fellow M-113 creatures. We can but try our best to change our natures. One day at a time and all that stuff we say a million times...

(Because we know it's True.)
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple: sodium and sugar. Going to work on keeping sugar down today.

Challenge accepted.

Challenge complete! 20 grams under on sugar today. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with eating lots of delicious meat. Would have been under for sodium too were it not for my super-salty chicken breast cuts (1,140 mg!) on my breakfast salad. Last day for those. Going to be cooking them myself from now on, starting this weekend.

Thanks, Mark!
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I need to drink more water, that is my big hurdle. I know it is good for me, I just need to drink it! Going to try and get my 8 cups in today even though today is technically over, I work afternoons so my todays tend to go 3am-3am ;)
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ended up 4 grams under :-) Thought I hit it on the nose and then remembered I had forgotten to alter a recipe slightly.
  • m23prime
    Options
    Going to try and get my 8 cups in today even though today is technically over, I work afternoons so my todays tend to go 3am-3am ;)

Whatever works for you! Go for it.

Just remember, we are all working on LONG TERM change. So for everybody who actively or passively takes up the daily challenges, the long term goal is to incorporate those changes seamlessly into our Everyday thinking.

The Daily challenges are meant to represent different aspects of change. They are reminders of what we must all do EVERY day...for the rest of our lives...if we want to achieve AND MAINTAIN (How many of us are working on the same hundred pounds AGAIN?!) our goals.

So to EVERYBODY playing along at home--the real challenge isn;t just daily...it's weekly, monthly, yearly, LIFELY.

By the time we have reached out goals, we won't even have to think about how to deal with hunger or thirst--the good choices will be autonomic choices for water, fruits, veggies, etc. And those decisions will replace our old habits of coffee, pop, candy, fries, etc...

The daily challenges are all meant to remind us about what is involved in long term change by concentrating harder on one aspect of that change. But over time we will learn, remember, and act on new instincts and new behaviors.

I hope everybody has a wonderful weekend challenging themselves.

We will do another Daily on Monday.

Congrats to everybody who played along today or any, or every day this week!