Newbie with a question!

Options
bikaga
bikaga Posts: 22 Member
Hi everyone!

I've been type I for 32 years now and was switched to a pump a few weeks ago. Since then I'm finally able to control better what I'm eating, before that it was constant ups and downs and ups and downs and...

So I've started dieting (about time I can!!). I've noticed that I seem to be losing a lot of water (I'll spare you the details!!) and I've lost 2 kg in a week despite aiming for 0.5-1. Not that I'm complaining. I just don't want to be doing it wrong.

Now I'm making sure I'm between 500 and 1000 calories in the negative per day, so it's not a starvation diet. I am getting between 150 and 220 g of carbs a day, so that's not really low carb, either. My sugars are much better, and I'm not constantly thirsty, so it's not due to that.

I'm wondering if it could be a combination of eating less and taking less insulin? I'm down maybe 20-25% (from 50-55 units a day to 35-45 units with the pump) and I know extra insulin can lead to water retention. Any ideas or personal experience? I've been trying to look on the web but there's lots of people who say things for facts with no proof... will also ask the nurse next week of course, but till then, if anyone's had similar experiences please share!

Thanks

Replies

• ppatick
    ppatick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it may just be your body adjusting to lower food intake, nothing to do with the insulin. I have been Type 1 for 14 years, got it as an adult, and having dieted before the same thing happens. The first few weeks you lose all the water weight and then level off to lose the fat. You WILL need less insulin, though, as you progress. Congratulations, in any case! Peggy
  • bikaga
    bikaga Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Peggy! Apparently you can already see the difference in my face and on my ankles (well I can't since I see myself every day), but it's encouraging anyway - 4 kg in 2 weeks so far and I'm not trying *that* hard yet since I don't want to overdo it and then gain it all back. Small steps first, then make them a bit bigger... gotta sort out all the pump background levels first, too, before really upping the exercise. I'm feeling a bit better throughout, and it can only go up from here!

Birgit
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    With the change to a pump, your eating habits and the decrease in insulin this quick weight loss seems fairly normal and should level off soon. Are you checking ketones? You should monitor ketones as well when you are first starting off to be sure those are not increasing or playing a role. Good luck and congrats on the progress so far.