Need Advice! Convention Food?

Options
Coming up in October, my husband and I are planning on spending 3 days at a gaming convention up near Albany. (3 days straight of Pathfinder Society *drooool*)

Here's the guidelines:
~Can be put in a small cooler if it needs to stay cool
~Can't be anything that needs heating in a microwave
~Breakfast will be provided by the hotel
~Obviously, we're looking to avoid large amounts of sugar and empty calories.
~Trying to avoid pizza/chicken wings/subs/burgers
~Any doable suggestions from a fast-food place that would be cheap and easy to fit in.
~We'll have loads of water with us, so we're pretty good on drinks

Here's what I have so far:
~Atkins Caramel Latte Protein Shakes (my substitute for morning coffee ^-^;)
~Baby Carrots w/ reduced fat/fat free blue cheese dressing
~Turkey Jerky
~Grilled Chicken Sandwich from Burger King (next door to the hotel, no mayo... 300 calories)
~Apples/Oranges (for hubby, since I don't care for them as much)
~Diced Watermelon/Fruit Salad

Replies

• Mechanikitty
    Mechanikitty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ricecrackers, Snack-A-Jacks or plain ricecakes(which are good if you can pocket some jam from the breakfast thingy). Wholegrain bread sandwiches? You'll need some slow-burning energy since you'll be there a while. Why not take cereal in tuppawear and get a little carton of milk? Or if you can't keep the milk cool just get some nice cereal to snack on.

Maybe I just like cereal too much...
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    Options
    i would say regular ol' beef jerky, but get the better stuff, and certainly not any of the "sweet" kinds (barf). ALOT of the packaged stuff use sugar and glyceryn to drive off the excess moisture, and it works great, but it drives up the carbs pretty stealthly.

-Subway or similer sandwhich shops, cause walking around all over the place is gonna burn calories.
    -loads of gum, it may not be a proper snack, but it keeps the jaw going and can sometimes stave snacky urges.
    -mixed nuts/trail mix, buy em made, or buy the ingrediants and make it yourself.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I won't mention some of the good stuff since you said you were trying to avoid it. Other than whats been said when I go on the road I like

Granola bars
    Cereal
    Sliim Jims
    Popcorn
    Deli Meat and Bread for sandwiches

For the fast food reference, most you can look up nutrition info online beforehand and find something that meets your needs
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I’m not so sure the granola/trail mix/nuts are a good idea. They’re more for on the go when you need a quick calories boost for energy. If you’re sitting down and playing pathfinder all day these maybe a bit high in calories compared to the volume of food.

-More fresh vegetables i.e.; broccoli, cauliflower, sliced cucumbers.
    -Homemade kale chips
    -Homemade hummus for dipping
    -Make tuna and/or chicken
    -A loaf of 100% whole wheat or Ezekiel bread (put the latter in the freezer when you get back to your room)

The chicken snack wraps at McDonald's aren't too bad. Everything you order, tell them to hold the cheese; one slice is ~100 calories. When dealing with a 400 calorie item, that's a big difference.