400 dates to 'the one'?

Options
AnnaPixie
AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
There was a prog on here (UK) a few months ago about internet dating. It was estimated that it takes 400 dates to find someone that you're compatible with :heart:

I didnt see the prog, but got told about it, and I was a bit gob smacked by that number :noway:

Just wondering what your experiences are in terms of numbers or thoughts in general on internet dating. I'm finding it all rather random and fickle atm.

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The thought of 399 bad dates to find one good one sounds exhausting! :noway:
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm never going to find a good one to date. I don't have the patience to deal with that :laugh:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Assuming there is truly a "one" for everyone, the 400 median definitely has a very high variance. For some, it's the high school sweetheart that turns into a lifetime of fairy tale happiness. For others, it's a lifetime of missed chances, dashed hopes, and crushed dreams.

I don't think the 400 number means anything of significance due to the aforementioned variance.

--P
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    396 dates to go!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be dead before that happens...
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    it's a lifetime of missed chances, dashed hopes, and crushed dreams.

Yeah, that's about right for me.........lol

Mind you, I'm only up to about 60, so plenty more MC, DH and CD to go!! :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

You dont internet date though Cesar, do you?
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    396 dates to go!

Oh yeah? I only know about 1! When did the other 3 occur Missy?? :bigsmile:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    The thought of 399 bad dates to find one good one sounds exhausting! :noway:

I'm sure JJ said she did about 25 dates in a few months?

Even if you only met 2 people per week, that's 100 in a year. After 4 years, you're done!! :laugh:

No idea where this random 400 came from, but I do know that people go meet more people than I would have the stamina (physical or emotional) to meet in a week, let alone a month or a year.
  • lacroyx
    Options

Nope, never have.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Nope, never have.

Why not? If you dont mind me asking......
  • christine24t
    Options
    396 dates to go!

3 with three dates guy and one blind date in college.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    396 dates to go!

oic!! I was more thinking it meant 400 people. But yeah, it probably did mean dates...........I dunno, I didnt see it. But assuming we have an average of 4 dates with one person to decide if it's right or not, that would mean 100 people......more do-able, I suppose..... :laugh:
  • lacroyx
    Options

Nope, never have.

Why not? If you dont mind me asking......
    Combination of things but mainly not comfortable putting myself out there yet and my work hours suck when it comes to dating. I don't know many girls who would be ok with meeting up and going out on "morning dates" which with my work schedule would end up being. I know it's really just an excuse though since many peeps on here work nights as well and are in relationships/dating.
  • christine24t
    Options
    396 dates to go!

oic!! I was more thinking it meant 400 people. But yeah, it probably did mean dates...........I dunno, I didnt see it. But assuming we have an average of 4 dates with one person to decide if it's right or not, that would mean 100 people......more do-able, I suppose..... :laugh:

I think so too!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I've never counted how many dates I've been on. Interesting thought and I have no idea where I'd lie in the numbers to be honest. There have been times where I've had 4 first dates in a week and times where I've gone 6 months without a date. Online dating, of course, speeds it up. But, now I'm curious. Hmmmm....
  • raige123
    Options
    400 seems excessive but they are probably referring to "meets" as dates ... I at one point was going on 4-5 coffee "meets" a week so it could happen. 2 couples I know of that have had extreme success with online dating went on about 40-50 coffee's before meeting their forever partners. I would believe that number. 400 is discouraging ... unless they were actually referring to the number of people you talk to online to get to a "meet" and then pass to a "date". I dunno. I'm sure there have been hundreds of men who have passed through my inbox on the dating site but only about 30 that I have chosen to have coffee with.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Does the one where he passed the note to the back of the class to me, and by the end of the class we broke up? Does it Does it? lol

Oh that's a big number.

I hope that's not true.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I went on almost first 30 dates from April of last year (when I discovered that me and Allan were not "in a relationship" after all) til Sept (when me and BB became "exclusive"). Out of that, I went on many 2nd dates, a handful of 3rd dates and ended up in a 3 week relationship with bodybuilder guy and this present one with BB. In fact, my next book is going to be about all this dating.

Going out on that many dates was made possible by having the mindset that most of these are not going to be "the one" but that I am just going to see what's out there and have some fun. I learned a lot about myself and learned a lot about the kind of man I want to have in my life. I learned that some traits I really wanted actually WEREN'T good for me (such as wanting a guy who idolizes me), and I discovered that some guys had traits that met needs I didn't even realize I had (like feeling protected) but were so powerful I knew I had to have them in my next relationship.