Box Jumps - Does the Fear Every Go Away?

Options
rmk20togo
rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
Box jumps scare the crap out of me. I can do them, have never missed, and only had one near miss, but when I get in a WOD my brain shuts down and says "You are not jumping on that." My coach told me to try stepping up every time I get stuck and that does help relax my brain a bit. Last night we had an interval WOD, 45 sec on/45 sec off, that included box jumps. I lost so many valuable seconds with false starts because my brain would not let my feet leave the ground.:noway: I would honestly have to step back, shake off the nerves, pep talk myself and try again. It's so odd because I can do several in a row and then, for no reason, I'm paralyzed with fear.

Am I the only one? Will this ever go away? Maybe if I take one good fall and realize it won't kill me, things will get better.

Replies

• kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Box jumps terrify me. I'm not sure why as I'm only 27, in pretty decent shape and was an athlete growing up. I'm only two months in to crossfit, but the first few times we did box jumps I couldn't bring myself to do them, had to do step ups instead. The last time they were in a WOD I did them, but I was terrible slow.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Lots of people seem to have this issue. It's common. I was that way, but what you have to remember is that you had done it before, and you can do it again. If you think about it too much, you won't do it. Walk away, walk back, and just do it. Stop thinking about how high or what have you. It'll help. :)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lots of people seem to have this issue. It's common. I was that way, but what you have to remember is that you had done it before, and you can do it again. If you think about it too much, you won't do it. Walk away, walk back, and just do it. Stop thinking about how high or what have you. It'll help. :)

Good advice!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Sometimes I get all mentally geared up and ready for a jump, but then my brain overthinks it, says "NOPENOPENOPENOPE," and my feet won't leave the ground. I'm slowly getting better by jumping onto shorter boxes, but the other day we had a WoD that involved jumping onto a tractor tire. ... Yeah, I stepped up onto that and didn't even feel bad.

tumblr_lus7wjFC0I1r3xs82o1_500.gif
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well, I had the pleasure of face planting on my first WOD with box jumps.....and it was a 12" box. Face planted right on the floor.....with a coach right next to me.

Afterwards, I looked like someone beat me up with a baseball bat. Bruises all up and down my legs, side of my face, and on my arms.

Since then I do step ups.....mental block is there 100%.
  • rmk20togo
    Options
    Well, I had the pleasure of face planting on my first WOD with box jumps.....and it was a 12" box. Face planted right on the floor.....with a coach right next to me.

Afterwards, I looked like someone beat me up with a baseball bat. Bruises all up and down my legs, side of my face, and on my arms.

Owwwieee! Sorry you were hurt. I've seen some bloody shins from box bites!

My near miss was in the last few seconds of a timed WOD. It scared the coach and he yelled "just step up." I knew if I didn't jump at least one more time right then, I would never get back on that horse! My daughter saw that next jump and said I looked furious. :laugh: Not sure if I was mad at the box, myself or the coach for underestimating me.

The thing that helps me most is taking my mind off the box by thinking about the tips the coaches have given me:

"Rock back on heels, power through hips, knees up high, step up rather than stand still..."

I may go to my grave afraid of that box, but I'm gonna keep trying! At least I know I'm not the only one.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yep, I freeze too. I do step ups. If they are good enough for the games, they are good enough for me!
  • georgie304
    Options
    SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do them... Only about 1-1/2'...but I do them... Others do much higher than me and my coach has acknowledged that I in fact have no jump. LOL

I seriously need to improve this. Completely red****. I don't know that it is a fear per se.... I just legitimately go not game.
    ......right now that is.......
  • georgie304
    Options

Yeesh! Ouch. Sorry.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have fallen, I can do them but still very scared & SLOW!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain
  • RivenV
    Options
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain
    I see your obscure sci-fi reference and raise you another: Qaplah!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't think Dune is obscure at all :)
  • RivenV
    Options
    I don't think Dune is obscure at all :)
    It's not obscure to me, but just try quoting the Bene Gesserit litany around a coworker or a friend who doesn't read much of that type of thing...

They'll give you one of these :tongue:
    443.gif
    Edited for derp image
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I did 32inches once, i seriously don't know how!
    Since then i struggle with way lower ones, last time i jumped right into the box and my legs got all swollen with heaps of bruises.
    I so wanna do them though, just practice will help i guess.
    Let's fight all together weeks for week haha :smile:
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is reassuring. I thought it was just me.

The first time I had a major nervous giggling fit and then had to jump holding the trainers hand. It was mortifying.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I shinned myself pretty bad and it has taken well over 2 months for the wound to heal.

I still get a little 'block' from time to time.

I went and got some slip-in soccer shin guards. You can get them at ****'s for like $10. I got them mainly to protect my wound during box jumps and deadlifts. It's amazing how much of the hesitation is removed when you know you are armor-plated LOL.

The question you have to ask yourself is "What am I afraid of?" Falling? Jumping? Shinning myself? All of the above? You define what the issue is then work to resolve the issue. Afraid of falling? Use a shorter target. Afraid of jumping? Do step-ups.

You have to build your confidence, but the worst thing you can do is to avoid them.
  • rmk20togo
    Options
    The question you have to ask yourself is "What am I afraid of?" Falling? Jumping? Shinning myself? All of the above? You define what the issue is then work to resolve the issue. Afraid of falling? Use a shorter target. Afraid of jumping? Do step-ups.

^^Missing, falling, and breaking something!!!! I do step-ups when my brain completely freezes, which thankfully is often. I also hear coaches yelling "Stop stepping, you can jump!" The mind is a funny thing. I know I can jump, I have hundreds of times and never missed. Still, every now and then I rock back on my heels, power through my hips and right before launch my brain says NO and my body listens. Crazy!
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I miss the box at least once when we do box jumps. Luckily I haven't scraped my legs up, yet.... I can totally understand the tear, although for me that fear is reserved for overhead squats. : ) Best of luck, no doubt you will slowly but surely conquer your fear. : )
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Box Jumps absolutely terrify me too. I'm so afraid I'm going to eat it and wreck my shins or my face, for the 6 months I've been doing crossfit I was doing step ups and it wasn't until 2 days ago when I finally decided to try and jump the box. I did it with no problems but I was S L O W, but I did it! I'm not sure I'll ever get over the fear.