Advice for the newbie Please

Options
eprybs
eprybs Posts: 36 Member
I am on day 2 of crossfit starting with onramp. Sadly for me, there is only one other person on ramp and he's not super friendly. He's also super fit- and I'm...well....I'm a marshmallow! So, that aspect kind of sucks..he's done way before me, am I'm struggling to survive! hahaha Any tips for this newbie?!

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    As a fellow marshmallow, I can completely relate to this!! I've been crossfitting for about 5 or 6 months now and I'm always the last one to finish and it has been that way since day one! The only advice that I have is to just keep going. Just remember that the only person you are really competing with is YOU!!! Keep track of the work you are doing and you will be amazed at the progress you will make. For me, knowing that I am lifting more today that I did when I first started is well worth finishing last last in the WOD because, ultimately, finishing is more important than "winning".
  • eprybs
    eprybs Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That is great advice, thank you!!
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    While it's difficult not to want to keep up with another person's speed, try to focus instead on your form. Also, try to not let yourself get caught up in trying to lift the same amount of weight as another person. I've made both mistakes and it's still something of which I need to be mindful. The greater issue right now is to listen to your coach when it comes to good form. If you try and advance your weight too quickly, your form will suffer, then you will have to backtrack. Also, by maintaining attention to proper technique, it will help to avoid injury.
  • georgie304
    Options
    You are doing this for yourself. Don't worry about the other person. Frankly, I have found that more often than not...people will not say...hey great job getting here and doin your thing. They don't want to sound demeaning, so they say nothing. Assume the best. You know you are there rockin it and that's all that counts.

As far as trying to get more of the community atmoshpere.. You try to be outgoing enough for both of you. That's all you can do.

Wait for some fresh blood to walk through the doors or find another time with other people.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    All the good advice has already been said, so I'll just chime in with fellow marshmallow support! :flowerforyou:
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i'm also a marshmallow. Currently an unmotivated marshmallow! It is a little depressing to finish last or lift the lightest weights, but as long as you're working as hard as you can, with good technique, then thats all you need to worry about. Finishing last and lifting lightest is still better than sitting on your couch, eating crisps and lifting the tv remote..... :drinker:
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    All the good advice has already been said, so I'll just chime in with fellow marshmallow support! :flowerforyou:

I am not a marshmallow but I will also chime in with support as all the good advice has indeed been said. Best of luck!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    He's obviously an antisocial asshat so ignore him.

CrossFit is about "You Against You". Focus on that. Keep your form solid and keep progressing. All the other crap comes later. Fast times, heavier weights, and 'the crossfit body" all come in time.
  • shirte
    shirte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, the only competition should be with yourself. Focus on doing the best that YOU can do and don't worry what the person next to you is doing. You will find that it gets better each time you walk into the box. Hang in there!
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Keep track of the work you are doing and you will be amazed at the progress you will make. For me, knowing that I am lifting more today that I did when I first started is well worth finishing last last in the WOD because, ultimately, finishing is more important than "winning".

^^^THIS made all the difference for me. I'm almost always dead last and when I'm not it's because I scaled my weight too low. I use an app called MyWod to keep up with my PRs and WOD stats. I loving seeing that I'm doing 18 burpees in a minute when I used to only do 10, etc. That number, when compared to others at my box, isn't impressive, but it is when compared to my own numbers. :love:

I've found my greatest satisfaction in just finishing a WOD that I thought would kill me when I first read it. The best part about being a marshmellow is the gains you will see will be much faster than those coming to CF already fit.

We have one jerk at my gym. Shining example, we were doing a WOD with wallballs. We've outgrown our space (moving this weekend-YAY) but we make it work. We all lined our balls up on the wall with just enough space to not bang into each other. This guy comes in and moves 6 balls out into the middle of the floor, places his ball by the wall and claims all that space. Coach asked him to use the wall outside the building right by the door on the sidewalk. He says, I don't want to use that wall. There's grass growing by the sidewalk. REALLY??? I volunteered to go outside and coach said "Thanks, since he's being a baby." My thoughts on guys like this is that I'm so thankful my life hasn't lead me to be "that" person. I will give him props where due - he's super fit and super strong but I'd rather be an encouraging, kind marshmellow.

Oh, and I joined my gym right after it opened was the only one in onramp. I was also the only one who showed up for a WOD one day and the coach did the WOD with me. Now that was fun!!!!
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I was the last one finished at almost every on ramp session. And I have to say it drove me to work harder. I'm still a newb and I'm still a marshmellow but I managed to finish in the middle of the pack by the time I completed the on ramp and the progress I see pushes me on. Now that I'm among the regulars it's even harder to compete but I know that the day will come when I can do those things unmodded soon enough.

Try to get enjoyment out of your own progress. Beat your yesterday's best every time out. Thats all that matters and thats how you'll get better.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Marshmallow here. I did onramp by myself, with just the coach. I did my first class last night, and I could not believe how friendly and supportive everyone was. They all introduced themselves and shook my hand before class started. It was so great:)

My box has a "no *kitten*" clause right in the contract. It was explained to me that this is a private business that depends on it's reputation in the community, and will only survive if it is a comfortable, supportive and encouraging place to be for the members. If someone can't abide by those rules, they are not allowed to come back. I am not sure if it would stand up in court, but I like it. One or two bad apples can really ruin the whole barrel.

Advice: Wait until you are in class, and the atmosphere is (hopefully) completely different. The person who is not friendly may also be reacting that way out of fear and his own issues, and may change as they get more comfortable.