Christmas Knitting!

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
Anybody else begin Christmas knitting yet? I had a couple of kids in swim lessons so I had 30 minutes everyday for pretty much the whole summer where I just sat by the pool waiting for them. I did a hat first and then decided to get a jump on the Christmas stuff. I have a felted bag finished and another on the sticks at the moment. Maybe I can avoid the last minute power knitting this year! :P

Replies

• joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've started my Christmas crocheting!! I hate the last minute I'm never gonna get it all finished rush;-)
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I need to get started on mine!
  • QueenWino
    Options
    My gardening hands are healing enough that I need to focus on this to avoid stress later (ha ha!) I swore I'd get a baby blanket done and now the lil one is 3 months old and I've yet to stop debating over which pattern I want to use.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Crocheting a baby blanket for my sister-in-law (she's expecting). Slippers for my mother-in-law.
  • knittnponder
    Options
    It's supposed to be in the 90's here this week and since I'm in the Seattle area, that's really hot for us! I want Fall weather but I've been knitting anyway. I just finished a baby alpaca hat for my husband and a slouchy hat for myself. I guess I should get back to the Christmas knitting if I'm going to avoid doing it all at the last minute. :P
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm working on dish cloth sets - dish towels, fingertip towels, and wash clothes...

I've got one more set to do and then I'm moving onto knitted drawstring bags and scarves for the kids I make presents for...

I'm stuck as to what to make for everyone else...any suggestions for a newbie knitter?
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I knitted three scarves, different pattern and different yarn, for each of my granddaughters. I made a couple caps that I'll probably end up using as gifts also.

I've been on the Dr. Who scarf off and on for a year and a half now and just can't seem to finish it. Just knitting for 15 feet gets boring. I hope to get on the ball and finish it for Christmas 2014. Wish me luck!!!
  • seamstar
    seamstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    don't even want to think about it! i haven't finished my own projects..
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm not terribly skilled yet, so I'm not going to try making anything for other people yet. I am working on a Christmas blanket for myself though! My first big project!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I just started a double knitting project that I hoped to have finished for my dad's birthday but it's looking like it might have to be a christmas present now. Double knitting + chart = tedious. Definitely not a project that can be done while watching TV. This is the pattern I'm using:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/neck-bones
  • knittnponder
    Options
    That is such a cool pattern! I haven't done any double knitting yet but I'd be willing to learn for that pattern. My 19 year old just fell in love with it. :)
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Double knitting is easy because it is nothing but knit and purl stitches. The scarf is technically only 33 stitches across but you have to knit/purl 66 stitches. The pattern calls for sport weight yarn and 32 repeats of a 24 line chart. I'm using worsted weight so I probably won't do that many repeats. I'm guessing maybe 20 or so repeats depending on how long the scarf turns out.

This is the best tutorial that I found on double knitting. There are three parts to the tutorial and they're longer (6-8 minutes) but it's the most thorough one that I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfSs8WFqdq0
  • knittnponder
    Options
    Oh cool! Thank you!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Double knit scarves take a million years.

I don't know if I'm doing any xmas knitting this year. I usually only do it for my mom and my husbands grandma, but I already bought my mom an xmas gift. I'll probably still make a little something for grandma, like a hat or slippers (mom usually gets something lacey and complicated). Also, I've been doing nothing but working on blankets to donate to NMCRS lately.
  • julepgirl
    julepgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm apparently a masochist this year. I decided that I'm going to knit all my Christmas presents (except I'll buy some extra stuff for hubby and the boy). And of course, I picked some of the hardest and/or most boring projects. What's wrong with me!?

So far I've cast on:
    pink sparkly legwarmers for my niece, who, it turns out has wayyyy skinnier than normal legs. Frogged, started over.
    A sheep in snow pllow for my mom: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/snowy-sheep-pillow
    a teddy bear for little niece
    minion hats for hubby and the boy (secret knitting is the hardest, can't work on these at home!)

endpaper mitts, hats, diaper covers, dishcloths and fingertip towels, etc on the still to do list...

I'm doomed.... :D
  • LilMissKrissy
    Options
    I started my Christmas knitting back in July, because I 1) wanted to save money, 2) wanted to do some serious damage to my stash, and 3) wanted to show my love to family and friends through handmade knitted goodness. Most of them are done. I have my brother's scarf and my Father-in-Law's hat. I had to frog FIL's hat, because it was...well, quite a disaster. It's almost November, and I realize I'm running out of time.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    <~~~~~~I just finished crocheting a Christmas tree:)
  • kmouse2
    kmouse2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sirajr cool tree! I need to get working on crocheted mittens for needy kids and I would also like to get some dish clothes finished - just need to find the time - I use to crochet many items but work get's in the way of crocheting. Oh and I also need to get a few Barbie outfits done.
  • bigsis91
    Options
    I'm working on crocheting some afghans. I'm also working on a knitted sachet scarf for myself.
  • knittnponder
    Options
    I'm some sort of machine this week! I've made three felted bags just this week to go with the other two I'd already made. Now on to the alpaca owl I'm making for my niece's baby girl. My husband held her one day and put her hands on his alpaca hat. She was entranced by it and couldn't stop touching so I figure I'll make her a little stuffed owl with my leftovers. Not even a year old and she already has good taste in yarn! The future is bright for this girl! :D