Hello ALL!! I'm starting SL on 9/9/13 ..I have Questions..

Options
Hevenn
Hevenn Posts: 27 Member
I just have a few questions about this program for those of you who are well into it by now.

1. Did everyone start off with the bar (45lbs) or did you have too start lower
2. I have worn cartlidge in one of my knees from cycling, has anyone started with knee problems that are now better doing SL?
3. I'm afraid that I might not be able to increase my weight by 5lbs every workout, has this happened to anyone of you?
4. My plan is to do SL Mon, Wed, Fri with 30 minutes of light cardio after...Tuesday & Thursday Bikram Yoga (Hot Yoga) and Sunday walk 2.6 miles at the lake...do you think this is too much?

Any adivce or answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    1. It's recommended to start with the bar, except for deadlifts, start at 65lbs. The weights move up quickly so you don't want to start out too heavy too soon. If you have to start at a lower weight, there's no rule saying you can't.

2. I don't have knee problems, but I think there are a few ladies that do. I'll let them answer.

3. I increase my weights every other workout (so 5lbs a week per lift). Squats I only increase once a week unless I feel I can do more. OHP, I increase when I can get all reps of all sets.

4. It sounds like a lot, but it will depend on you. If you're eating enough to fuel all of you activities and are recovering well, then go for it. You can always adjust your activity later when/if you need to.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    1. Started with the bar on all lifts (even deadlifts cause I'm chicken) except the OHP which I started with two 8-pound dumbbells.

2. I have low back problems, and weight lifting, while challenging my low back muscles, has also stabilized them and strengthened my core that was a metric crapton weaker than I ever realized. Can't comment on knees, but squatting parallel should keep you in the safe zone, and your knees will be protected much better as you're strengthening the musculature around them. You might consider wearing a knee brace/wrap for extra stability, especially as the weights get heavier. Maybe consider taking glucosamine chondroitin for cartilage support. When in doubt, ask your doctor.

This might help:
    http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

Or this:
    (Rippetoe -- lengthy, yet awesome):
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/rippetoe_goes_off;jsessionid=77B36FB1C5094F5AA766F490C30634BB-mcd01.hydra

3. I would personally recommend that you only increase weight if you can do all 5 reps of all 5 sets with good form. Keep in mind that even increasing by one rep per workout is still progress. Aim for overall progress, not necessarily the strict progress plan prescribed by the Stronglifts program. Certainly don't beat yourself up if you stall or find yourself unable to keep up with the program as it's written.

4. Depends on your fitness level. Make sure you eat properly and get plenty of sleep to support all that activity you're planning on doing.
  • Hevenn
    Options
    Thank you
  • Hevenn
    Options
    Thanks you
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    2. I have worn cartlidge in one of my knees from cycling, has anyone started with knee problems that are now better doing SL?

If you squat correctly, it should not affect your knees. If anything, it should alleviate some knee problems, since it will strengthen muscles on both sides of the femur.

If, however, you squat incorrectly, you could cause more damage to your knees--especially if you allow them to cave in on the way up, or do a squat above parallel, or allow the knees to slide forward at the bottom of the squat. So pay attention to your form. For someone with your issues, I would recommend getting Starting Strength and reading the squat chapter before you do any squatting. I have an old knee injury (meniscal tear, actually) and I find that my knee lets me know whenever I am not vigilant about good form.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have crap knees. I have lost my squat somehow and am trying to find it. There's a link to a Bret Contreras PDF document that has a program which builds up to weighted squats that I posted somewhere in the threads. I'll have a wander around later to see if I can find it. I think I actually should follow it, rather than just post links to it!! You may find that you squat fine, though. I did initially. I just lost it somehow somewhere. For the meantime, I'm just doing bodyweight squats and will build up again.

I started with the bar alone for squats and bench press. I couldn't lift it for OHP, so started out with lighter weighted bars they have at my gym. I forget how heavy they were, maybe 12 kg?

I had some amount of weight for rows and dead lifts, but I forget what. I might have just used Mehdi's suggested weights (in the stickie at the top of this board).

Don't rush with it, enjoy yourself and relax if you have to deload or don't progress as much as it seems anybody else does. It's not a race. I keep telling myself this...
  • odieluv1
    odieluv1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello there, this is just my two cents..I dont have the book yet and only learned about the program in a summary...I do a program based loosely on what i read because i was not confident i could start out lifting a bar. So i started with 8 lb dumbbells which always seemed heavy to me and do the following excercises (deadlifts, squats, bench presses, and overhead presses). I increase my reps and only went up in weights when i could do 8-10 reps of the OHP and deadlifts, and 13-16 reps of the bench press and squats). In 8 weeks I have gone from 8 lbs to now using 25 lbs and am MAD PROUD of that progress. Never never never ever thought I could lift 25 lbs dumbells...so for those who stated any progress is progress (reps, amt lifted, etc) are so correct! My body composition has changed and i lost 10 lbs.I have a lot lot more to lose but the fact that my body feels and looks so much more toned then doing cardio or lifting 5 lbs/8 lbs only is such a hugh motivator. I will be ordering the book next paycheck because the next level of dumbells is 30 and im scared for some reason . But now i want to really know what the program is about as I hit heavier weights...Good luck!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Hello there, this is just my two cents..I dont have the book yet and only learned about the program in a summary...I do a program based loosely on what i read because i was not confident i could start out lifting a bar. So i started with 8 lb dumbbells which always seemed heavy to me and do the following excercises (deadlifts, squats, bench presses, and overhead presses). I increase my reps and only went up in weights when i could do 8-10 reps of the OHP and deadlifts, and 13-16 reps of the bench press and squats). In 8 weeks I have gone from 8 lbs to now using 25 lbs and am MAD PROUD of that progress. Never never never ever thought I could lift 25 lbs dumbells...so for those who stated any progress is progress (reps, amt lifted, etc) are so correct! My body composition has changed and i lost 10 lbs.I have a lot lot more to lose but the fact that my body feels and looks so much more toned then doing cardio or lifting 5 lbs/8 lbs only is such a hugh motivator. I will be ordering the book next paycheck because the next level of dumbells is 30 and im scared for some reason . But now i want to really know what the program is about as I hit heavier weights...Good luck!

The Stronglifts document/book is free online. Google Stronglifts 5x5 PDF and it will come up. If you're talking about something different, I'm sorry!