What do you do for exercise?

Options
CherylP67
CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
Hi,

I just wondered what everyone does for exercise and how it's working for them? I've been doing C25K and plan to start lifting weights and maybe some boot camp.

I've decided to try Stronglifts 5x5 to start.

Replies

• Shellanfit
    Shellanfit Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I swim twice a week with a masters swimclub and run four times a week. I would like to get some weight training and stretching added to my fitness routines.
  • cmh7770
    cmh7770 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    HI! I make it a point to walk everyday for 30 or more minutes and I bike when I can. Started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution a few months ago and got some good results. Feeling stronger and firmer but at 55 its a rough road to getting in shape. Nutritional needs need to be watched very carefully - I was only eating 1200 calories and experiencing hair loss, grouchiness, total sheer exhaustion. Once I increased my caloric intake and reintroduced complex carbs, life is much better! Its great to be active and very important tho, to do cardio as well as strength training.. Please just don't make the mistake of starving your body like I did!!! Make sure you know what your BMR is and how manage your diet... hope this helps! good luck!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This ^^^ is why I like this group already ! :drinker:
    Please just don't make the mistake of starving your body like I did!!! Make sure you know what your BMR is and how manage your diet... hope this helps! good luck!

I too used to starve myself - imagine a 190-200 lb guy trying to eat 1200-1400 calories. You could have knocked me over with a feather I was so weak and my metabolism was "broken".

Now I have a good handle on my BMR and TDEE and try to net about 1/2 way between the two.

I am seriously starting to run again and I am pleasantly suprised at my endurance. Just a few months ago pushing my HR to 135 would make me dizzy. Today I was running up a hill on a trail with a backpack and I was able to keep it above 150 for several minutes!

Soon I will be getting into free weights again soon (something like stronglifts). I want to be able to Squat and Deadlift and get strong!

Yoga is in the future, as well as swimming and all sorts of things.

I am driven by being fit. (The weight loss and inches loss will be just a "side effect"

Good luck to all! :smile:
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    HI! I make it a point to walk everyday for 30 or more minutes and I bike when I can. Started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution a few months ago and got some good results. Feeling stronger and firmer but at 55 its a rough road to getting in shape. Nutritional needs need to be watched very carefully - I was only eating 1200 calories and experiencing hair loss, grouchiness, total sheer exhaustion. Once I increased my caloric intake and reintroduced complex carbs, life is much better! Its great to be active and very important tho, to do cardio as well as strength training.. Please just don't make the mistake of starving your body like I did!!! Make sure you know what your BMR is and how manage your diet... hope this helps! good luck!

I could never survive on 1200 calories a day, every day. I eat at my TDEE-20%, when I lose 6 more pounds I'm switching to TDEE-15%. I do have some low days calorie wise, sometimes at work it's so crazy that I miss meals.
  • I am doing C25K and walk for at least 30 minutes on my non-run days plus I started Slim in 6 last Monday.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Starting to really experiment with different ways to run, jog, walk/run, even walking with a backpack.
    It is starting to get fun now that I can measure distance, pace, and HR

I have a HRM (Timex) and use the Runkeeper App on a droid.

Looking to run my first 5K in November
  • I've found (through personal experience & talking with trainers) that if fat loss is the goal, getting some short, intense cardio in first thing in the morning works really well.
    Here are some things that have worked for me:
    Sprints - 1 minute sprint followed by 2 minute rest x 10 (vary times & reps with ability) - either outside or treadmill
    Rowing (my fav) - 500m for time x 4
    Spinning class
    Steps (quick & easy) - up & down as fast as you can on the bottom step of a staircase for 1 min, followed by 2 mins of rest x 10

I also try to get some weight training in - I like kettle bells & body weight stuff (lunges, squats, pushups, etc)
    I think a lot of times (especially of we're just starting out), we over complicate things & chase the latest & greatest fitness craze & never end up really getting started. You can make a big difference with a few simple things. The key is just start doing it ; )
  • excentricvic
    excentricvic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've changed things up a bit and it's working. The pounds are dropping! What am I doing? I'm spending LESS time working out and MORE time focussed on what I'm eating. I finally feel like I'm in the groove!

I have a small home gym and this is my favourite new circuit workout:
    - TREADMILL: 5 minutes walking on treadmill to warm up
    - FLOOR: plank: hold it as long as I can (I can hold it for 3 minutes — the goal is to increase the time each day) + crunches
    - TREADMILL: 10 minutes on treadmill (2 minutes fast walk, 1 minute slow jog, 1 minute faster jog, 1 minute run x repeat twice)
    - WEIGHTS: push ups + biceps + shoulders (2 sets)
    - TREADMILL: 10 minutes on treadmill (2 minutes fast walk, 1 minute slow jog, 1 minute faster jog, 1 minute run x repeat twice)
    - FLOOR: plank: hold it as long as I can (I can usually only do 1 or 2 minutes for the second set) + crunches
    - TREADMILL: Cool down or if I have time, I do another set of 10 minutes on treadmill (2 minutes fast walk, 1 minute slow jog, 1 minute faster jog, 1 minute run x repeat twice)

If I'm in a rush, I can squeeze this workout into 30 minutes. However if I have the time and energy, I can go hard for about 50 minutes.

NOTE: I realize I should be adding lunges to the above workout. I won't lie, I'm not a fan of leg work.

Good luck everyone!!!!

V.