Whats your difficult foods since surgery?

Options
lee91356
lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
I am one year out and though for the most part I have no real issues with foods but in the last few months I have strayed away from my tried and true diet and started eating different things (both good and bad) and I have been surprised at some of the results, even more so that I am still having issue this far out.

Just wanted to know what foods others have problems with???? Please share. happy

Also for anyone further out I wanted to know if these issues improve overtime, or as some say if its part of the "new normal."

My list:

Not a problem for me are carb landed foods (I wish they were cry though) : potato chips, crackers, pretzels, nuts, popcorn, peanut butter, french fries, candy (jelly beans, mentos, etc) - of these foods I can eat a LOT and nothing happens to me, no tummy ache no nausea NOTHING (aside from a large dose of guilt blushing )

Problem foods:
- more then 1/2 cup of lettuce
- sushi rolls (I can eat fish, I can eat rice, but apparently not rice and fish together wrapped in nori)
- steak/ beef
- hot dogs (any type)
- bread (but not really pizza, thats the sad part)
- chicken skin (gross I know, but aside from trying it a few times I have also unintentionally eaten it one more then one occasion and could tell after the fact that I had eaten it - gotta careful when ordering diced up chicken at restaurants)
- sugar snap peas (in an effort to stop snacking I tried eating these and after a few I was ill)
- chocolate (includes chocolate chip cookies and anything chocolate coated)
- coated protein bars (like zone bar)
- cherries
- strawberries (seems to be hit or miss)
- whipped cream and cake filling (eating a piece of cake is ok, but sans the cream; kindda weird)
- frozen yogurt and ice cream (a little is ok but I found that more than 2 oz, 3 at MOST and I get a gross feeling)

Replies

• shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm three years out. I can eat almost anything, as long as it isn't more than a cup and not really dry. Pizza use to be a go to food, now I can't stand it. I can't eat a whole piece so I feel cheated.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Pizza is bad, but that is probably a good thing.

Flour tortillas. Just can't eat more than a couple of bites of one. Again, this is not a bad thing considering I'd eat several if they were fresh and you gave me the chance.

Otherwise, any too dry food. So far this is the only thing that has had me even close to a reverse parasaltic wave.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My three year anniversary was June 11, 2013.

Other than if I eat too much (I try and always under eat my sleeve) I can eat anything. Pasta and rice are the two I must be careful with, it is like it expands after eating it.

Almost everything you listed, other than beef, and one or two other things, you should not be eating anyway, so count yourself lucky.

Chicken skin.......OMG, just think about the itty bitty feathers that you don't even notice that you're eating. Gross x's 3!!! LoL
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options

Chicken skin.......OMG, just think about the itty bitty feathers that you don't even notice that you're eating. Gross x's 3!!! LoL

Thanks for that visual. gag, retch :frown:
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options
    9 months out last week

Also not a problem for me are the high carb foods like potato chips, pretzels, popcorn, peanut butter, french fries, no tummy ache but I do eat significantly less than before my sleeve.

Problem foods:
    Greasy foods make me nauseaous
    Too much sugar makes me lightheaded
    and my beloved ice cream =more than 1/2 cup serving makes me sick - which is great becasue that is a " normal" serving
  • amylynn924
    amylynn924 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 4 weeks ago, I'm currently on "soft" foods. I had difficulty with baked Talapia. I measured 2 oz. I don't know if it was too dry or maybe I ate too fast or didn't chew it enough, but it felt like it was stuck in my throat for about an hour. It was very uncomfortable. I had a hiatal hernia repair along with my VSG. I don't seem to have any pain or discomfort in my abdominal area, it's all in my chest.
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with the following:

High sugar anything (cake, frosting, slushies)
    Carb heavy anything (pasta, non-thin crust pizza)

I had to have my gallbladder out at the same time so anything high in fat does double damage. Incidentally it also made me lactose intolerant so no real milk but yogurt and cheeses are fine.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 2 years out and have two things I abosultely cannot drink. Black coffee (which I used to love!) and anything carbonated. So now I drink my coffee with cream (yes, that's counted in my daily calories) and since I was never much of a pop/soda drinker, the carbonation isn't an issue.

I limit myself to 4 ounces of all meats, but have to be extra vigilant when it comes to chicken and steak. I think it's because they are both so dense. Lettuce fills me up really fast, so I eat the protein portion of the salad first and then what I can of the lettuce. Pasta is too heavy now and I rarely eat carbs simply because once I get the protein in there's never a lot of room left. My "I don't need anymore protein today but have calories left" snack is popcorn. I prefer my protein bars to be non-chocolate just because I'm sick of most protein bars being some form of chocolate.

I could give you a whole list of foods I no longer eat, but that's by choice rather than because I have an issue with them. I couldn't control myself with them before my sleeve and frankly I'm afraid to find out nothing's changed, so I refuse to reintroduce them into my new life. Or I no longer eat them because they just don't have enough protein for the amount of calories, so they aren't worth eating.

I think there are some things we will never be able to eat again and I think it's different for each person. But it's probably a good lifelong restriction. :tongue:
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    2 oz at four weeks out is probably too much, the symptoms would indicate that is the problem. At four, five, six weeks....I could eat 1/8 cup of whatever, it gradually increased, but at over 3 years out, I still cannot eat a full cup of food, which is good, my doctor doesn't want his patients EVER eating more than a cup at one sitting.