High BP?

Options
cnlargent
cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
Anyone having a blood pressure issue or have had one in the past? After some higher readings at the doctor's office my last two visits, I'm being placed on a beta blocker BP med. Not happy about it since the past two weeks at home, my BP has averaged 117/72 before bed. I think it's anxiety/stress of being in the office that causes it to be horrible there :-/ The only good news is that we are starting NSTs and weekly ultrasounds next week, so I'll get to see my little one weekly. Just hope that she stays healthy in there and we can avoid any further complications!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely scared about high BP. If I'm consistent the things that are working for me to get down have been meditation (I bought a pregnancy meditation CD), following some of the brewer's diet (http://drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/), and drinking water like a sponge.

If I dont do these things it races up. I can get it down to 130/80 when I follow everything like I should, and I was pretty hypertensive before hand.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with BP related to preeclampsia with every pregnancy starting at about the 7th month. Luckily, I was able to somewhat control mine with bed rest/ diet / foot elevation. You should do anything that your doctor suggests to try to control it as it can be devastating for you and your baby but if your pressure is much lower at home, you might want to mention that. Hopefully they are also monitoring your edema (if any) and protein in your urine. My protein was not visible on the dip stick tests and only showed up in the 24 hour collection by the way. Research the Brewer's diet as Idrosophila mentioned. Watch your sodium too (my doc suggested under 1800 mgs a day). Best of luck to you!!!!!
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with BP related to preeclampsia with every pregnancy starting at about the 7th month. Luckily, I was able to somewhat control mine with bed rest/ diet / foot elevation. You should do anything that your doctor suggests to try to control it as it can be devastating for you and your baby but if your pressure is much lower at home, you might want to mention that. Hopefully they are also monitoring your edema (if any) and protein in your urine. My protein was not visible on the dip stick tests and only showed up in the 24 hour collection by the way. Research the Brewer's diet as Idrosophila mentioned. Watch your sodium too (my doc suggested under 1800 mgs a day). Best of luck to you!!!!!

Oh yes, definitely doing whatever I can for sure. No edema currently. I'm doing a 24 hour collection this week, but hoping that the protein won't be present. We did talk about my machine at home registering a much lower BP. They are hoping that just means that its anxiety/stress related and not a real problem. I know I could definitely stand to lower my sodium, salt is my weakness. I'll check out the Brewer's diet.
  • samarieL
    samarieL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What is reading at in the office? If it seems to be a white coat syndrome issue I'd ask the dr to take into account the at home readings before putting you on meds. My bp was high in the 2nd tri and my ob said that was normal, it went back down after I hit the third tri. It was running in the 130's over 80's when it was high and it's been consistently high teens to 120's over 70/80's since. With no other signs/symptoms I would be careful before going on meds personally. It would really be a last resort for me. Also what about GD? I found that my bp went down once I got my gd under control, it's possible to pass your initial test and still develop it later in pregnancy too so if you've already taken and passed that test you might try taking your sugars a few times a day to see where they rest regularly. I was really surprised at how interconnected the two seemed to be for me.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    So despite trying my hardest to get it under control it continues to rise when I went into the doc it was 180/90! He put me onto lobedial seems to be the safest for pregnancy, but still has risks. I'm still running high 159/81 :sad: So far no protein spilling, but I did have some glucose spilling. This pregnancy thing is tearing me apart!

Oh and as far as the GD so far my numbers are reading slightly high 105-100, and the only way I'm able to do this is with my daily metformin and carb control. And I was an initial passer on the glucose tolerance...so scary that I'm not going to make it to full term.
  • samarieL
    Options
    That is a really high BP! How far along are you at this point? Hoping that baby cooks good and everything ends well.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    That is a really high BP! How far along are you at this point? Hoping that baby cooks good and everything ends well.

only 23 weeks

I've never had numbers like these. I mean I always ran a little hypertensive, but never like this.

The glucose thing is also new I've always had low blood sugars never above 95
  • samarieL
    Options
    This is my 5th pregnancy and the first time I had GD. Getting my numbers in line really did help my bp but mine never went into the danger zone of above 140. Hoping they can get that under control quickly.